Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LouieKablooie t1_j6cqvd1 wrote

Have you checked out the Locker Room, you can smoke whilst on shift which is a BIG BONUS

dreww4546 t1_j6d2dh2 wrote

I love finding cigarette ashes in my food.

buxtonOJ t1_j6csoeo wrote

The champagne room at Richard’s

Proud_Pug t1_j6dp3p5 wrote

I know may people don’t like the tobacco company but I have a friend who worked there and she said she rarely had a bad week. One bartender I know there told me she makes two days a week what she used to make as a teacher - which is awesome for her but kind of sad

BornAnnoyed t1_j6dz7ik wrote

If there’s a place where you make that much money no one’s talking about it or going to shout it on Reddit. It’s like trying to find a cheap decent apartment. It’s getting passed through friends.

RVAWTFBBQ t1_j6gdhv9 wrote

> It’s getting passed through friends.

Richmond restaurants at a certain quality/price point are very incestual in that they almost exclusively hire from within the existing pool of local servers/bartenders/managers who are recommended by their existing staff. Nothing wrong with that, you want to work with people you trust, just means it's hard for a new person to break into the really lucrative spots.

That said, a friend works at Jack Brown's and I'd imagine that must be a nice gig as far as serving goes, they're almost always packed, the menu is simple, no mixed drinks, just beers and burgers and steady churn for an entire shift in a space small enough that you can see all your tables at a glance.

lennybriscoforthewin t1_j6czqb4 wrote

I would think the buffet brunch at The Jefferson. A gratuity is added so you won't get stiffed, and the meal is expensive. I have no idea how they split the tips though.

eziam t1_j6d48qm wrote

Nooo,you don't make much money doing that. I have friends to did it before COVID and it wasn't much.

juwanna-blomie t1_j6cro8v wrote

Idk of any place in Richmond where you can make 4-5k a week working 30 hours. That’s like 4-5 shifts making $1000 a night, let alone working any day shifts.

Audiojtb t1_j6ekek5 wrote

Perlys (breakfast/lunch), L'opposum, Roosevelt, Metzger, Adarra, Laura Lees, Brenner, Stellas, Alewife, Heritage - anything in that vein will likely be solid/consistent serving wages. Atleast in my exp.

places in scotts addition (Lunch Supper/Fat Dragon) , usually have a solid lunch service as far as money goes most of the days. Downtown places that do lunch could be worth it.

I split time between a "nicer" restaurant 3x a week, and a more casual place on Sunday/Monday(dbl) and do pretty well - I bartend, but this is my experience from covering floor shifts - or working places that tip pool with a small staff.

sleevieb t1_j6f2rb4 wrote

Where did you work in this town making $40/hr part time?

LouieKablooie t1_j6g0xv4 wrote

OP don't want to share.

sleevieb t1_j6g1hi6 wrote

But wants everyone else to share lol

hippie_chix t1_j6i3ir7 wrote

But yes
 discretion is why I’m on Reddit. Just looking for direction, no intention on being shady.

−1

sleevieb t1_j6j2pxe wrote

I agree that you should think requesting something from strangers that you yourself would not give out is shady.

hippie_chix t1_j6i39ba wrote

It’s work ethic and personality that get you a long way in the industry
 working for tips has always been my thing. But consistency in guests and/or smaller amounts of seating is a must to make good money.

tequilaanddeadlifts t1_j6iry59 wrote

Honestly you need to be looking at the places everyone recommends all the time. People make money at those places because they’re always busy and usually small with high table turnover or people who stay but keep ordering. Bamboo, Stella’s, Perly’s, Moore st. Etc. but you’re also looking at the new person working there being there for 6 years. So it’s not just a work environment but a family.

Places like can can would make a fuck ton more money if they only had two or three people working service well. Instead they have one for the whole restaurant and you get your food before your drinks. Hard to upsell when you can’t provide goods.

Then you have your frat places or late night spots. You’ll make money but be dealing with a lot of “my dads a lawyer” Chad’s and l wear my hat backwards and snap my fingers at you shitty coke dealers. Who might tip or might write their phone number for you. Usually volume makes up for them but you’re tired and not home before 3-5 am.

Yes this city is super insular - we know who we want to work with and who we don’t. My biggest recommendation to Get into a place is to frequent there and make friends with the staff- that way if you want an in- you know someone. Don’t be a douche, tip well and when there’s an opening float your rĂ©sumĂ©.

Dramatic_Barracuda55 t1_j6dgsnu wrote

I guess some part-time pet walkers with accusations of being predators downvoted you? This is a valid question.