Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

zorak_robert t1_j66p27o wrote

I hate to be that guy, but plastic recycling is a sham anyway. Just throw them in the trash.

teh_german t1_j68l7m0 wrote

Not if done properly, this is also unfortunately the attitude that does not make the situation any better. This is something we need to work on collectively.

My profession is actually in this field, and while I agree that often recycled matter is landfilled instead this is often due to people tainting the recycling stream with items that are not recyclable.

If you truly want to make sure your plastic products are recycled they need to be turned into a center directly.

https://cvwma.com/programs/drop-off-recycling/

Virginia actually recycles about 60% of solid waste.

No_Improvement9110 t1_j6fm8oq wrote

While you're correct that cross contamination is a huge issue, it's the lack of proper plastic recycling infrastructure that keeps most localities in the US from recycling types 3-7. Once China stopped importing our trash, it meant that it didn't matter how you sent in your plastic recycling- it was getting sent to the landfill by the recycling center anyway.

Attempting to shame individuals into having to separate and haul their own recycling is also an extremely inefficient and ineffective way to go about improving recycling rates. If you want people to recycle en masse, make it free, convenient, and accessible. If poor people who don't have cars, work multiple jobs, and barely have time to take care of their kids can't do it, then your solution has elements of classism, racism, and sexism, that will render it moot.

Instead, demand that producers, not consumers, take responsibility for their own waste. Producer take back laws effectively place the time, energy, and financial externalities of dealing with waste back onto the producer, as opposed to the time strapped, survival focused, resource limited consumer who should be presented with better choices anyway.

choicebutts t1_j66jiu1 wrote

The dispensaries are staffed with pharmacy technicians and a licensed pharmacist. I doubt they'd take the pre-roll tubes back. Drug stores don't take your empty prescription bottles back.

KnopeCampaign OP t1_j66kceo wrote

That’s fair. I just thought maybe there was a chance, they’re so wasteful. Same with prescriptions like you said.

bkemp1984Part2 t1_j66m0ki wrote

It's kind of wild how wasteful the industry is. Single use vape pens infuriate me.

choicebutts t1_j66yqod wrote

Heck, everything's wasteful.

MiloAshworthy t1_j6747rw wrote

Yeah but when you take some cannabis oil, then you put it in a glass tube with a plastic tip, in printed box in a foam cushion....it's gets really out of hand

bkemp1984Part2 t1_j6di0yt wrote

For real, and a whole ass battery that you can't detach the cart from!

bigkshep t1_j68i2tq wrote

That’s why you don’t buy from GLeaf. Their shit is overpriced garbage.

Bring a glass jar to your weed grower friends house, top it up, and then there’s no garbage.

bkemp1984Part2 t1_j68l69g wrote

That's not a GLeaf thing, those things are everywhere.

Gleaf is def very expensive but unless one directly knows someone who grows and can trust they're getting what they're told they're getting, Gleaf is a safe, hassle free (once approved) way for them to get it.

bruxalle t1_j68h1qk wrote

Then just stop buying pre rolls. They are more expensive and worse weed. It’s all pre packaged bottom of the barrel. Pre rolls are the equivalent of ready made chocolate milk.

KnopeCampaign OP t1_j6a9nfi wrote

Fair point. I don’t know enough about flower and how to use it to jump head first. It’s kind of daunting.

RCBilldoz t1_j67cykn wrote

Find a guy with pre rolls. Solved!