Submitted by Solid-Technology-448 t3_10nwfm1 in rva

A decade of ill health has left me borderline obese and probably incapable of running a whole mile straight.

Getting back in shape at home is difficult and boring, and I really want to take a class-- I used to love to dance, and always enjoyed the structure of a class environment.

In my current condition, however, I'm both very nervous about going to a place full of fit people, and concerned that I won't be able to find a class where I'm not potentially holding up the whole group or unable to actually do what we're supposed to be doing.

I assume classes specifically designed for people in poor shape exist, but I'm finding it harder than expected to discover them (Google, why hast thou betrayed me?)

Anyone aware of a gym or studio that offers something in this vein? I live in Midlothian but don't mind driving for the right class.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

sassypapaya t1_j6bb28u wrote

It’s been a few years since I’ve been, but the midlo YMCA had great classes (Zumba, step, yoga, Pilates, etc) and it was a really varied audience- people of all ages and levels of ‘fitness’😊

ChiliTrees t1_j6bbux9 wrote

IDK how helpful this will be, but I take Zumba on thursday evenings at the Tuckahoe YMCA (I’m sure there’s other Ys out there but I can’t speak to the quality of the classes at them). Candice, the instructor, is amazing. Most of the people in the class are regulars but there are a few beginners every week and she’s always so good. She will subtly make eye contact if you’re doing a move wrong and demonstrate it again without actually calling you out or making you feel singled out in front of everyone; she’s really welcoming and kind. She’s a larger woman as well, IDK if I’d say obese but she’s not your typical “fit gym girl” body type. I can say confidently that she and all the regulars there would be very accepting of you. IDK how close it is to you though, so I’m sorry if this isn’t helpful.

Minakovablue t1_j6cvudn wrote

If you have any joint issues, swimming and water aerobics is great. ACAC has nice indoor salt water pools. If you’re uncomfortable undressing around others to change into a swim suit, I think all of their gyms have family rooms off of the pool area, where you can have your own space to change. When I did these water classes, it was mostly women, older, and all shapes & sizes.

FEdart t1_j6dla8e wrote

God I switched from AmFam to ACAC 6 months ago or so and I'm never looking back. My only regret is that I didn't do so years ago.

OP: If you can swing the membership (it is pricey), I do recommend ACAC. They have lots of classes and the facilities are very nice. It's like a budget Equinox IMO. I can't speak for the one in Midlo, but the one in Short Pump is sweet. They even have a rooftop pool for 18+ adults only with a bar/cafe.

emattbax t1_j6bfjep wrote

AikidoRvaSouth.com Currently have few regulars, and a few with mobility issues. Class is completely open to all. as long as you’re comfortable being in the same building as a bunch of very fit bjj people. If it interests you feel free to message me for more info

emattbax t1_j6bgn8j wrote

Re-read after posting and realized you already said you’re not comfortable being around fit people… so just want to clarify that we are solely aikido and rent the space from the bjj gym. We see them leave as we go in. :)

iluvpntbtr t1_j6cx0m6 wrote

My vote is the Y. I’m middle aged and not that fit but do go to 3-4 classes a week to stay active. I bounced around to 3-4 different Y’s because I workout while my kids are practicing their sports in the evening. While there are a few fitter people at the Y generally it’s a very low key wholesome organization. I’ve never felt intimidated there. For reference I tried ACAC and it was intimidating and pretty upscale (snooty?) for my needs. For sure I gravitate towards certain classes that “meet you where you are” vs the boot campy type classes. But for sure you will find a few you really like if you are willing to try new things. Good luck. DM me if you want some class examples.

ifweweresharks t1_j6di027 wrote

I did Row House for a while and really liked it. The coaches were really supportive and while it’s a group class, your performance is your own. And it’s in the dark! I really liked that part too lol

jeb_hoge t1_j6eyuyg wrote

Was going to say the same. My wife was never a gym/workout fan but got really hooked on Row House, same reasons you mentioned plus she loves the music selections.

Proper-Ad4006 t1_j6f7u5w wrote

I've never taken a yoga class in Midlo, but at every other studio I've been to, unless specified otherwise in the description, the classes are meant to be modified to your level. You can take a break in child's pose at any time and often at harder parts, instructors will give you some options and if you're a beginner, you just take the easiest one. All that to say yoga is very friendly to beginners! And even if it seems like everyone else knows what they're doing, we love seeing newbies come so there's no judgement! Again, no recommendations for places in Midlothian but any decent studio should be welcoming, regardless of skill or fitness level.

OddWelcome2502 t1_j6d2nog wrote

I think Zumba is a great option. Would also recommend some slow paced yoga classes- this is how I began getting in better shape. Yoga helped me to realize that no one is paying nearly as much attention to me as I thought! It helped me get more confident so I could start trying out other more challenging classes and finding what I enjoyed the most. I haven’t been to any of the Y facilities on that side of the river, but I can tell you the northside Y is super welcoming of people of all abilities. I imagine it’s similar at all facilities. Good luck!

JamesBhand-007 t1_j6gd3tk wrote

F45! Ive never been to the Midlothian location, but the others (Short Pump, Dumbarton, and The Fan) are filled with members of all different fitness levels. It is a very welcoming and encouraging culture. Super fun! The classes are intense, but you can modify just about any exercise. I think they have a free 7-day trial so you can really get a feel for it before making a financial commitment.

Rico_Agave t1_j6cuw3x wrote

Hi. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but I sent you some information through DM. Good luck!