Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Ms-Pamplemousse t1_j5ajoxk wrote

Not surprising with magnolia green and other clear-cut subdivisions going in back there (Moseley).

I just realized a barn I rode horses at as a kid was turned into another one of the Fox subdivisions back there. What a shame.

bigdaddyman6969 t1_j5ar35f wrote

It’s nice out here tho. Not all the neighborhoods were clear cut.

geneb0322 t1_j5auwdp wrote

Yep, very nice out here in Moseley. I live in one of the neighborhoods from the 80's. Three acres of wooded land, nice sized house, extremely low traffic and great schools... We couldn't be more happy here.

Ms-Pamplemousse t1_j5ausdw wrote

I'm really worried about how the economic development authority and future independent development will ruin the natural beauty of the area. It's changed so much.

Charlesinrichmond OP t1_j5ava3o wrote

we should be building more housing in the city, not putting subdivisions on forest and farmland

gonefrombad t1_j5b0xk8 wrote

Farmland lost is farmland lost forever

Charlesinrichmond OP t1_j5b205m wrote

yes. a tragedy. Dense development is the best for the environment.

Manhattan is ironically one of the most environmental cities in the country

bigdaddyman6969 t1_j5awlx4 wrote

You shouldn’t worry about it. I mean- they are definitely going to ruin the area- but you worrying won’t help.

−7

Ms-Pamplemousse t1_j5b1f55 wrote

Lol, gee thanks. As if I'm sitting here fretting about that all day when I've got adulting to do.

−1

RVAforthewin t1_j5bklnq wrote

Moseley resident here. Seriously wishing the BoS would do their job and force developers to put some revenue towards building new schools. Tomahawk Creek is at twice its capacity. We’re building schools to catch up instead of building to get ahead. Don’t get me started on Hull St, either. It’s very clear this is one of the fastest growing areas any time you need to do a thing: get gas, go grocery shopping, drive to 288. It’s madness.

Routine-Expert-4954 t1_j5blq5n wrote

Hull St is the absolute worst at morning and evening rush hour.

RVAforthewin t1_j5es4za wrote

Yesterday (Sat) we were anticipating a nightmare drive between Otterdale and 288. There was actually almost no traffic on the road…sweet! Then, every single light turned red as the previous light turned green and we approached the next one. It would have been impressive if it wasn’t so annoying. You just can’t win on that stretch, I’m convinced.

Edited for clarification

opienandm t1_j5bp438 wrote

This was exactly what many people said when the BOS was “debating” cutting cash proffers in half in 2015. With that move, the BOS not only increased the velocity of development, they reduced the ability of the county to grow the infrastructure in parallel to the growth in households. I know that the cost of proffers are just passed on to the home purchaser, but I’m not sure there is a better way to get the funding up front to support the growth as it is actually happening.

Developers are happy though.

RVAforthewin t1_j5esd3x wrote

As are people when they don’t have more taxes. Many people who cry about taxes are also crying that there aren’t enough schools.

Option_Perfect t1_j5avsko wrote

Maybe increased home prices can help schools. Maybe higher taxes can go to fund the schools more. Maybe.

RVAforthewin t1_j5bktbf wrote

Or I dunno. Maybe the developers can be forced to put money towards infrastructure since they’re increasing the population density and raking in the revenue.

Option_Perfect t1_j5csb5s wrote

And these are areas that need it the most. To be fair, I think the county itself is doing a better job of distributing resources (parks, libraries, schools, etc.). Still areas have bad roads and above ground power lines so infrastructure would make it more appealing to buyers. But yeah, developers paying for it? 🙄

testylawyer t1_j5b7st8 wrote

Springer checking in. Bought my house in 2015 and Zillow says my house estimate is almost double today. I think the brand new Highschool helped too.

BubbleWrapGuy t1_j5bg01m wrote

Closed in April of 2021. Home value has allegedly increased 37%.

testylawyer t1_j5bgxc3 wrote

Were up and coming! Wish a Trader Joes would move into that old Shoppers Value spot.

BubbleWrapGuy t1_j5uiaqx wrote

We were just talking about this! I would love that. Of course, I'd settle for one in Mechanicsville. I hate heading out to Short Pump for TJ's.

LharDrol t1_j5i90nv wrote

Bought my house in HS in 2019. Zestimate has gone from $120k to $220k in that time.