Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

AutoModerator t1_j7pd72i wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

Kargaroc t1_j7pdl0j wrote

Many of the primary climate changes we see do set off domino effects like this

9273629397759992 OP t1_j7pejsh wrote

Plain language summary:

According to a new study from Yale University, climate change could lead to a decrease in the biomass of tropical forests, resulting in an increase in carbon emissions that could accelerate global warming. The research team used historical data and satellite maps to study above-ground biomass in the tropics of South America, Africa, and Asia. They found that if greenhouse gas emissions from human activity are higher, losses of stored carbon could nearly double by 2100. The researchers hope that these findings will help strengthen the case for current climate policy initiatives, such as the Paris Climate Agreement, that seek to limit global warming and preserve tropical forests.

bytemage t1_j7pek73 wrote

It's not like this is unexpected. Just denied and ignored like every other aspect of the climate crisis.

No-Sock7425 t1_j7pkrxj wrote

It’s also cute that they assume mankind won’t have cut every single tree down long before 2100 in the name of profit.

bkconn t1_j7pnd17 wrote

"It's the cascade.." -Prax

Redbeardthe1st t1_j7q81bx wrote

This is awesome, I wish I didn't have to work for a living so I could sit back and enjoy watching the human race drive itself to extinction.

U_Sam t1_j7qi07p wrote

Avoid products that contain agriculture heavy products like palm oil and basically any plantation crop. Please do understand that unlike this sort of deforestation, logging for the most part is done in a sustainable way in the United States at least. In fact a lot of issues we’re having right now are due to loss of early successional habitat from the frantic tree planting done by the logging industries back in the day.

U_Sam t1_j7qrccg wrote

I suppose I mean like things that heavily forested areas are typically cleared to grow. Soybeans, coffee beans, etc.. there are some more sustainable plants and stuff to pick from and some that are horrific in their land use

Vericeon t1_j7qrq3w wrote

From my reading, it seems that eating less meat, particularly red meat, is the best way to reduce your impact. So much of deforestation is to grow soy, corn, etc for animal feed. Not to mention space for those animals to graze.

AadamAtomic t1_j7r67vr wrote

This is the worst Rube Goldberg machine ever made.

kittenTakeover t1_j7rf6l4 wrote

Palm oil gets a bad rap from what I can tell. Most of the crops that have the biggest impact, such as palm oil, do so because they're the most used. However, they're often the most used because they're the most efficient. Dropping palm oil may have consequences if you just shift your oil use to a less efficient crop. Now you need even more farm land!

In the end the best general answer to TheAverageBiologist is to consume less and get involved in politics.

Chalkarts t1_j7slatv wrote

Fewer Human. More Trees. That’s the solution.

IcanDigglet t1_j7su4hq wrote

It’s loss to unfiltered and unchecked purposeful destruction for profit.

Veasna1 t1_j89f0qu wrote

Sure and 80 billion landanimals and 1,42 trillion marine animals are all breatharians right. Because that are the numbers killed to sate everyones desire to eat animal products. Huge amounts of land and rainforest are cleared for that.