Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

user262 t1_j8b4xgb wrote

There's a few artists I would not have become fans of if it weren't for someone else being a fan and me hearing them play the music a lot.

I would never have stuck it out for enough listens on my own

Mistr_man t1_j8blouq wrote

If your friends like music you tend to start liking it to. Its a psychological phenomenon

TERMINATORCPU t1_j8bnf8l wrote

I have friends that like Frank Zappa and SLIPKNOT, respectively, and I can't stand either of those music artists.

The_Pedestrian_walks t1_j8ca8di wrote

Zappa is the artist that came to my mind when I thought about songs that I initially hated but are now my favorite. Usually if I can find one particular song that resonates with me, I'm more likely to enjoy the rest of their work, even if it's completely different. It's definitely some foot in the door psychology at play.

TERMINATORCPU t1_j8cd5ge wrote

I enjoy a lot of different kinds of music, and am more knowledgeable than a lot of fans of Zappa and well exposed to his music, but I just can't stand him nor his music. That being said, it is kind of funny, because I really enjoy Captain Beefheart's music, who was a friend of Zappa's since highschool, and musically adjacent.

"Usually if I can find one particular song that resonates with me, I'm
more likely to enjoy the rest of their work, even if it's completely
different. "

I can agree with that, being a Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Tomahawk, and otherwise Mike Patton-related fan. The sounds of those bands against each other, and also within themselves vary quite a bit, yet I thoroughly enjoy them all.

Magusreaver t1_j8d7i6d wrote

Us fans of Patton really have to have an eclectic musical pallete.

raket t1_j8cuyic wrote

Have you actually listened to zappa albums or just random songs?

TERMINATORCPU t1_j8eozsu wrote

Albums on vinyl, many times.

raket t1_j8ew7b6 wrote

Here's a list of some that are easiest to get into, in case you feel like trying again:

-waka jawaka

-apostrophe

-hot rats

-over-nite sensation

-the grand wazoo

-the best band you've never heard in your life

-Joe's garage

The man has too many albums and I had the same issue until someone helped me out.

Killmotor_Hill t1_j8cllkk wrote

What do you mean "respectively?" You didn't associate the artists with anything other than one group. In respect to what?

−1

CyberiusT t1_j8ctks9 wrote

Guess: One friend likes Zappa, another likes Slipknot.

Killmotor_Hill t1_j8dpeoc wrote

You would have had to list them in order for you to be using that correctly.

Maktesh t1_j8cnnld wrote

Back in the day, music was costly. If we bought an album/tape/CD we didn't initially like, we would give it several tries.

Magusreaver t1_j8d770n wrote

And this is how I fell in love with Tom Waits, and Nick Cave. An out of state friend talked about much I would love them, they were never on *mtv or the radio.. so just got them from EarXstacy (record store) and then spent the next couple weeks regretting every dollar spent. Then over a couple more weeks I fell in love with them. Now 25 years later I still listen to them almost daily.

*I had heard Nick Cave on Mtv once with the song Where The Wild Roses Grow, it's an amazing song, but not what the album sounds like as a whole.

schlubadubdub t1_j8de6dj wrote

Yeah, I was going to mention those. Quite often I'd buy a whole album for one or two good songs, but because I played the whole thing I grew to love other songs. But I haven't bought music in 20 years and can't remember the last time I played a whole album on Spotify. Sure I'd check out other songs by artists, but I quickly skip through stuff I don't like and never come back to it.