Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ffxivthrowaway03 t1_j8ndt5h wrote

Oh absolutely. We need some sugars in our diet, and the occasional gatorade is no more "unhealthy" than anything else. People just want to condense everything to "good" or "bad" as if there's no room for nuance when diet and health are so much more complicated than that.

−2

SilentBeetle t1_j8o0oaf wrote

There is no dietary need for sugar. Our body DOES need glucose, but you don't need to eat sugar to get it.

Your body can and will make the glucose it needs from non-carbohydrate precursors.

ffxivthrowaway03 t1_j8o886v wrote

Given that this is /r/science, it's worth pointing out that glucose is a sugar.

We get enough sugars to sustain ourselves from natural sugars in the foods we eat and we don't need added sugars or "table sugar" to survive, but the sugars we need are still sugars.

SilentBeetle t1_j8oyz37 wrote

You pointed out that we need some sugar in our diet. Your body does not need to consume any sugar to survive. I'm well aware sugar has many forms.

ffxivthrowaway03 t1_j8rr3l4 wrote

If you want to get pedantically technical, we can say that you need to either consume the carbohydrates that will break down specifically into glucose or foods that directly contain glucose itself, but you can't survive with literally 0 glucose.

While we don't need to consume added sugars or already simple glucose, fructose, maltose, or sucrose, we must consume enough carbohydrates that will break down into glucose to support brain function.

Your words specifically were

>There is no dietary need for sugar.

Which is simply untrue, unless your making the argument that we could mainline glucose infused saline or something to avoid eating it, but that's silly.

SilentBeetle t1_j8spigl wrote

I'm not sure if you're intentionally missing the point, but the body does not need a dietary source of glucose to survive. Yes the brain needs glucose, but I'll say it again since it looks like you missed it.

Your body can and will make the glucose it needs from non-carbohydrate precursors.

grown t1_j8rvt58 wrote

He wasn't attacking you, don't double down on the spot you were specifically incorrect in.

−1

SilentBeetle t1_j8sp55m wrote

I pointed out that we don't need sugar in our diet to survive. Can you explain what was incorrect about what I said?

Tikaped t1_j8prinu wrote

We do not need carbs but if you are going to have a healthy diet you will have no other alternative since I do not think popping pills count. But I would love to be proven wrong.

The imporantant point is there should be some room for nuance. When I was young there were litterly no obesy children at my school. Maybe one or two was slightly owerwight in every class. Despite that many ate candies every saturday. Some “free sugar” was not a problem then and does not need to be a problem today.