Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

matt____n t1_jbpqgzg wrote

Would being aware of your breath just be mindfulness in action?

foomy45 t1_jbpupib wrote

Yes, but it would not be breath work, according to the article:

>Interestingly, research has found breathwork and mindfulness meditation have distinct differences. Unlike mindfulness meditation, breathwork involves intentionally altering the body’s physiological state through controlled breathing techniques. Mindfulness meditation focuses on observing one’s breath without actively trying to change it, with the goal of increasing present moment awareness.

sleepnandhiken t1_jbrdmgf wrote

I wondered to what degree “don’t alter it just pay attention” is possible. It seems natural to me to adjust it once you are of aware of where you are at. Also it seems that you can’t focus on simply improving your breath work if you’re not mindful in that regard.

fuktardy t1_jbs8w3h wrote

Yeah. Stretching your breaths out to be very long and slow makes your heart rate slow down. Makes sense. Lungs are part of the cardiovascular system.

Silver_Smurfer t1_jbpu2td wrote

Can be. Focusing on your breathing is one way you can ground yourself in the present, but it's not the only way.

acfox13 t1_jbptia7 wrote

Yes. Breath work is literally mindfulness meditation.

>"One conscious breath in and out is a meditation." - Eckhart Tolle

grizzburger t1_jbqkq83 wrote

So the whole time I'm busting my ass pumping iron at the gym, I'm also meditating? Far out

acfox13 t1_jbql9ev wrote

If you're doing it with intention and focus, yes. Yoga is a "moving meditation".

isymic143 t1_jbpu95x wrote

Yes, but in mindfulness meditation one does not try to control the breath, only watch.