Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

PDubsinTF-NEW t1_irmirsv wrote

Oslo cohorts Rx: “The strength-training regimen was a mix of linear periodization and daily undulating periodization. The participants started with 8–12 repetition maximum (RM) sets, and ended the 13-week protocol with 4–8 RM sets. In two sessions per week, the sets were run until failure (RM-sets); in the third session, performed between the two maximal sessions, sets were run with a load cor- responding to 80–90% of the actual RM load. The total duration of training was about 60 min per session, and the participants exercised in groups of three with a per- sonal instructor present.”

BSU cohorts: “The groups performed a smaller, leg focused selection of exer- cises, but included 36 training sessions (3 days/week) with three sets of 10 bilateral knee extensions at 70–75% of their 1 RM [9].”

Interestingly, these are also the rep and load ranges that will increase strength and to a slightly lesser extent increase muscle hypertrophy. When coupled with 30-40g of whey protein post workout and 1.2-1.6 g/kg daily protein intake, older adults can preserve muscle mass and even increase it. [Results may vary]

HumanBarbarian t1_irnd9gn wrote

After being very ill for a year and a half, I didn't think I would ever get my strength back. It really pissed me off, because I had worked out hard for 30 years(am 58) After a year, I am actually getting stronger in some areas than before! :)

McBleezy8 t1_iroeu7l wrote

Great age to be fit and human body is incredibly versatile