Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FartingBob t1_irwlemh wrote

Easily portable renewalable energy sources seems ideal domain of solar, how would this compare with a similar footprint solar panel?

the1ine t1_irwzrjf wrote

As the article says, it would be ideal for using instead of a battery, to avoid having to replace the battery. I'm assuming this doesn't scale up. If it's so responsive it can't be very hardy.

ErieSpirit t1_iryy393 wrote

A solar panel of the same size would produce about 10,000 times the power of this device. That is ten thousand times.

pizdolizu t1_irx1gv5 wrote

Renewable sources that can't even charge a phone are hardly sources of energy. Not the ones that can power houses, cars, etc...

−3

FartingBob t1_irx2a7c wrote

Not every source needs to a power a phone. They said in the headline about the target use case.

pizdolizu t1_irx5pbl wrote

I thought I was commenting to another comment, but nonetheless generating and powering very low power devices was never an issue. Also, these low-power devices are not causing climate change and whatsoever. They are solving a problem that doesn't exist. A small, super-efficient wind generator might be useful in some rare cases, but it is not a game changer in any way, providing such little power.

−3