Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Daetra t1_iw2e2d1 wrote

My sense of smell still hasn't returned and it's been what feels like two years.

BeastofBurden t1_iw2zo47 wrote

My colleague just said the same thing. It’s just starting to come back for her, and everything smells terrible to her.

Menarra t1_iw3flf4 wrote

I had that when mine first started coming back! It was really hard to describe but it was like entirely random things, and not always the same things, had this background cat piss ammonia smell with it. That's slowly faded but I've never gotten all of my smell back...ironically I can't smell litter boxes xD

AberrantRambler t1_iw4noto wrote

Interesting. I had just assumed the cats had been pissing everywhere, but that’s exactly what happened to me (though I definitely smell litter boxes)

Menarra t1_iw4tv8l wrote

Yeah that was the best thing I could finally compare it to was cat piss ammonia, because that's a distinct smell. It wasn't EXACTLY that but that was the closest comparison, and it was very unpleasant for a few months before that finally faded.

BrothelWaffles t1_iw38tw1 wrote

I used to have a pretty good sense of smell, and now mine seems to just go from weaker to stronger randomly, and it's not nearly as good as it used to be. The weird part is, I never lost it completely when I had Covid, it was just "dulled" I guess you could say. Other than a little brain fog here and there, that's luckily the only symptom I have. And honestly, the brain fog could just be from the 15 years of heavy drinking I did. Went to rehab a little over a year and a half ago and finally got sober, but came home with Covid, go figure.

Daetra t1_iw399lh wrote

Same here, my sense of smell has just been dulled since covid. Like I don't always smell my BO like I use to, or if there was something rotting in the garbage, I'd need to be right over it to smell it.

QuickPassion94 t1_iw3zowo wrote

I thought it would be a blessing, I would be disinterested in food and lose a few pounds. The opposite happened as I ate more trying to find something that tasted normal

RandomBoomer t1_iw6rrpk wrote

One of my co-workers is in your situation. Last time I spoke to him, he was resigned to having lost his sense of smell. After two years, no sign of healing.

Ixneigh t1_iw35a2n wrote

People are acting like this is the flu. My cousins kids have had it multiple times, who knows what long term damage it’s doing to them

Weird-Fox-4036 t1_iw3cxf0 wrote

It's mainly brain damage, the risk for developing neurodegenerative disorders or autoimmune disorders rises. First studies expect a significant rise of neurodegenerative disorders in the next decades as a result of this

totallylambert t1_iw4psvc wrote

I had someone say that to me when I had covid. “It’s just a flu”. As if you can just get over “covid”. Not a friend anymore.

carlomilanesi t1_iw6o62w wrote

It's just a flu if you are vaccinated.

TheCharon77 t1_iw6p56d wrote

Not really..

Long COVID affected my 3x vaccinated coworker. He is now indefinitely on leave per company doctor's recommendation.

carlomilanesi t1_iw6pzov wrote

Well, mostly. All 2x vaccinated and then infected people that I know recovered completely. Instead, I know some people who was infected in 2020 and died, and others who got Long Covid.

Wagamaga OP t1_iw2c2yv wrote

Four new long-COVID studies reveal that 10% of French patients infected early in the pandemic still had symptoms 1 year later, SARS-CoV-2 can profoundly damage the brain for months, and very stressful events exacerbate persistent symptoms.

For some, a long road to recovery French researchers published a new study in JAMA Network Open on 1-year rates of long COVID among 53,047 adults in three population-based groups who took a nationwide survey from Apr 1 to Jun 30, 2020. The researchers obtained blood samples for serologic confirmation of infection from May 1 to Nov 30, 2020, and fielded an online follow-up questionnaire from Jun 1 to Sep 30, 2021. Average participant age was 50.9 years, and 63.7% were women.

In total, 3,972 people had tested positive for SARS-CoV-2, with 2,647 (66.6%) of them reporting at least one symptom during their infections. Of the 2,647 participants, 32.5% said they had at least one COVID-19 symptom for 2 months or longer.

The estimated proportion of participants who had at least one lingering symptom was 18.4% at 6 months, 10.1% at 12 months, and 7.8% after 18 months. Among participants who had symptomatic infections, an estimated 33.6% had more than five symptoms 1 week after infection, falling to 2.8% at 2 months.

An estimated 97.5% of participants with weakness, 94.2% of those with impaired attention or concentration, and 77.5% of those with memory loss reported symptom resolution at 1 year.

The most common long-COVID symptoms were shortness of breath (26.5%), joint pain (26.9%), loss of smell or taste (27.0%), weakness (20.6%), impaired attention or concentration (22.3%), memory loss (40.0%), and sleep disorders (36.6%)

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2798224

Inconceivable-2020 t1_iw3i1ki wrote

I got the twin gifts of Hypertension and Tachycardia.

Chrissy9001 t1_iw3rtre wrote

Tachycardia is so uncomfortable.

CountryByte t1_iw5rgm5 wrote

You kinda get used to it after a while. I’ve had it since before Covid.

MarvinLazer t1_iw4pumb wrote

Pericarditis for me. Docs say it's mild enough that it's nothing to worry about, but being an otherwise healthy man getting chest pains is still creepy.

jdragun2 t1_iw300vw wrote

So essentially its like Fibromyalgia. I pity anyone with either condition.

KonaKathie t1_iw46xyo wrote

It's causing researchers to rededicate themselves to autoimmune disorders like Fibro and chronic fatigue syndrome, which previously they just threw up their hands at

jce_superbeast t1_iw4pnsq wrote

Which was always frustrating. Like, they knew something was wrong but basically gave up trying explain or even investigate.

jdragun2 t1_iwblbdj wrote

Unfortunately we don't know if it IS autoimmune at this point. That is half the problem with doctors throwing up their hands.

Scooted112 t1_iw5ofjt wrote

During covid I really got into heart rate tracking while working out. I didn't have much else going on, and I figured it would be a fascinating hobby to learn more about it. I got into the metrics.

When I caught covid, it was measurable and immediately discernible according to my heart rate monitor. It took me 7 months for my heart to heal. The weird thing is that I felt as good as ever a couple weeks after, I wouldn't feel out of breath I wouldn't feel like headed, but my heart rate mid work out and not come down.

Workouts I could do before covid, and now will be the equivalent of a quarter of the load on my heart during my recovery. The really weird part was that some days I would be just fine, and the next day I would be all over the place. It was completely random, and I was never able to figure out a pattern

If I wasn't tracking my heart rate so closely, I never would have noticed, and I would say that I felt better than ever. It makes me wonder about long-term effects for other people who weren't paying as close attention. It was discernible and quantifiable the difference on my body during those seven months.

[deleted] t1_iw2rsyy wrote

How do they differentiate between people who have all these relatively common (aside from anosmia) symptoms from other sources?

Muscadine76 t1_iw2vajo wrote

From the article: “Details of new symptoms since January 2020, their duration, and whether their onset was contemporaneous with an acute infectious episode were collected.”

So they did specifically ask about the symptoms being new, and whether they started around the time of infection.

Eis_Gefluester t1_iw651gd wrote

And they trust that peoples memory serve them right (especially with memory loss) and that they don't have any confirmation bias?

−1

Muscadine76 t1_iw76dvm wrote

Any retrospective study is inherently limited by possible misremembering, which is discussed in the limitations of this study, but taken alongside findings from a swath of studies that align with this study there’s not any particular reason to believe percentages are off by any great degree. Also, for example, loss of smell or taste is a rare and remarkable symptom that people are unlikely to misremember or misattribute.

theorange1990 t1_iw6nvjn wrote

They got the symptom when they got infected, and the symptom continued after not having covid.

ackillesBAC t1_iw2ualz wrote

I was just going to say a lot of these symptoms sound like basic aging

−10

Muscadine76 t1_iw2vkln wrote

The thing is you could be right in a way even if it’s Covid-induced - Covid could be causing accelerated biological aging processes in certain respects.

ackillesBAC t1_iw2wo0p wrote

That's interesting. Means the is no cure for it unless they figure out how to reverse aging

Muscadine76 t1_iw2x2e0 wrote

Yes, it’s kind of bleak, that’s why many health care practitioners and researchers are sounding alarm bells around a coming wave of disability society is going to have to deal with.

Fabulous_Fun_3182 t1_iw3vo94 wrote

Still hard to smell after almost 2 years of getting Covid.

andonemoreagain t1_iw4kofj wrote

If a researcher were to ask me if I experience these symptoms regularly I would absolutely say yes. I do. I’ve never had Covid. These are very difficult feelings to separate out from a background level of ill health.

theorange1990 t1_iw6nqfp wrote

And if a researcher asked me, I would say no. See how info from just two people is meaningless?

FirstBankofAngmar t1_iw48n33 wrote

Dementia and Alzheimer's rates are going to skyrocket in a few decades because of covid. I'd bet real money on it.

Blue-Thunder t1_iw4fx31 wrote

Friend got Covid during the first wave. She still hasn't gotten her sense of smell or taste back. She's lost weight because food is just styrofoam.

badchinese t1_iw4yp5i wrote

I was double vaccinated and got it back in July. I’m still having chronic fatigue and nerve pain all over my body.

QuickPassion94 t1_iw3zg6q wrote

14 months later and my taste and smell haven’t returned to normal

Fixing_The_World t1_iw5mstd wrote

My friend ate shrooms and gained his back. Sounds crazy but there are studies showing psilocybin can rewire the brain. It can also greatly reduce neuroinflammation as well.

I would read a lot before attempting it though. It's not something you just jump into.

superduper3022 t1_iw4pgfn wrote

I never tested positive or even felt sick, but at some point I lost my sense of smell. Just can't really smell anything.

AutoModerator t1_iw2bzqz wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

galspanic t1_iw3znke wrote

I am proud to say that I went 10 months with no smell or taste. I wish I’d recorded me experiencing smells again like those people putting on color-blind glasses. I went to clean the cat box and I cried.

totallylambert t1_iw4pphb wrote

Aka: long covid. Thanks science. Ask anyone at all who has had covid, pre vaccination sick with it, you’ll get all of these symptoms long term. My family has a mixed bag of these long term side effects.

grewapair t1_iw5ql2r wrote

I was banned from most of the Covid subs for noticing that some people never recovered. People would come on and ask when they would get their sense of smell back and I would note that you never knew it could come back tomorrow or never. The person would get upset at that answer and report my response. Banned for negativity.

op-trienkie t1_iw5tf19 wrote

I have all of those symptoms

T-Eug t1_iw47v62 wrote

How were they able to rule out the effects of lockdown? People exercised way less, put on more weight, and were on devices way more. All of these symptoms would be effected by lockdown and the stress from it.

−1

jce_superbeast t1_iw4q125 wrote

Not everyone was locked down, many still had to go to work, many excersised at home more or ate healthier, and many still had social lives. You can account for those other factors by making sure to include participants who didn't have those other factors.

T-Eug t1_iw4qeqp wrote

I never said everyone didn’t exercise, the vast majority didn’t. Gyms were closed. Where in the study did they account for these factors?

jce_superbeast t1_iw4w2mw wrote

I was just postulating on how you could account for them given the population, though I too was unable to find the selection criteria specifics in what is posted here.

curiousnootropics t1_iw4hrv4 wrote

Imagine if we found a cure for this.

Should put a lot of money in to research. Much more.

−1

Fit-Rest-973 t1_iw3qpvf wrote

Thanks for the information

−4

[deleted] t1_iw3g1f7 wrote

[deleted]

−9

pumaofshadow t1_iw3jh7j wrote

These issues have been happening before, post viral illness isn't unknown, but it was never in such bulk at once, and Covid seems to have especially high rates of occurance. There are many like me who "never recovered" from a virus and got told they have Fibro, ME/CFS, PoTS and other Dysautomnia, and many whose doctors are loathe to give them these diagnoses too.

Its a bit of both in reality.

[deleted] t1_iw2jpt3 wrote

[removed]

−20

2girls1cucke t1_iw3g5uk wrote

This isn't science this is called life theirs no proof xovid did any of this

−26

makesomemonsters t1_iw3l55s wrote

For at least some of the symptoms I think that might be the case.

2.7% of middle aged people surveyed had joint pain, 3.7% had trouble sleeping and 2.2% had trouble concentrating, and it was decided that this was due to them having had covid a year before? Were joint pain, sleep problems and poor concentration previously issues that did not affect middle-aged people?

−1