Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hyggety_hyggety t1_iw6xla8 wrote

An old model weight loss trick was turning the thermostat down, so we been knew for a long time.

AAAlexandraAAA t1_iw6zayu wrote

Yeah, but you need to move too. Too cold and the need of bed and cozy blankets increases drastically :)

AaronfromKY t1_iw7527y wrote

I mean if you're shivering you're burning calories.

VoilaVoilaWashington t1_iw7lbqu wrote

What they're saying is that if you turn down the heat, and as a result just cozy into bed, you're not going to lose weight.

You need to actually experience the cold, not work around it.

Aporkalypse_Sow t1_iw8ionh wrote

Except for me. Sleeping in the cold allows me to actually sleep instead of lie awake cold and sweaty. Which gives me the rest needed to actually function through the day.

lemmikens t1_iw93jm9 wrote

We have a smart thermostat and lately it's been setting our temperature while we sleep to like 63 instead of 70... I definitely have been getting better sleep, maybe that's why

Aporkalypse_Sow t1_iw97m2i wrote

Could be. I turn into a nuclear furnace when I sleep. And if the crazy ptsd dreams hit, I usually end up tangled in the blankets and feel like a fresh mummy. Soaked and stuck.

PsychoEngineer t1_iw9g0k8 wrote

We do the exact same. 70 is like sticky/horribly hot for me; 60-63 is perfect and I sleep like a rock; 67+ and I toss and turn all night.

Last-Initial3927 t1_iw7zp37 wrote

I actually love shivering! It’s a specific neurological motor plan that involves radial muscle fiber firing. Super cool physiology if anyone is keen to read about it more.

_Old_Greg t1_iw8syjs wrote

I definitely am! Got some juicy links or do I have to get off my ass and google it myself?

Ciobanesc t1_iw86fzz wrote

Not just burning calories, but burning fat calories. It is a direct way to burn fat.

dr_eh t1_iw7n8o6 wrote

I tried this but it backfired, my body temperature just went too low

5oLiTu2e t1_iwavp15 wrote

Tell us more! What was the time span?

dr_eh t1_iwexgcf wrote

About a week. Also did the ice baths. Now my normal temp is like 35.6, the internet says I should be dead but here I am.