Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

InTheEndEntropyWins t1_ix3992o wrote

Interesting. I wonder how many people think they are night owls but aren't genetically night owls and are messing up their circadian rhythm through stuff like lack of exercise.

​

>How people wake up and regain alertness in the hours after sleep is related to how they are sleeping, eating, and exercising. Here, in a prospective longitudinal study of 833 twins and genetically unrelated adults, we demonstrate that how effectively an individual awakens in the hours following sleep is not associated with their genetics, but instead, four independent factors: sleep quantity/quality the night before, physical activity the day prior, a breakfast rich in carbohydrate, and a lower blood glucose response following breakfast.

ObscureD_Lee t1_ix3im1z wrote

I was the first person in my family to break the night shift cycle. Both grandparents, parents and my siblings work night shift. I did for 10 years too but now I’m on days. 5yrs later I’m still waking up at 3am with a bedtime of 9pm and it feels weird everyday still. It is not hard for me to wake up, lastest I’ll get out of bed any day is about 5. Thankfully I can go to work whenever so I get to work about 430am and leave at 6pm and that keeps my brain happy. I feel like I wasted the day if I don’t stay on schedule.

blumdiddlyumpkin t1_ix4536p wrote

13.5 hour work days keep your brain happy?

ObscureD_Lee t1_ix46k81 wrote

Born and raised in it. It’s my hobby, it’s what I do. It doesn’t feel like work. That’s all besides the point. It’s always been night shift. Even after switching to days for years now I still very easily can pull off night shifts. I think night shifts really changes something in the brain and body. You want to be awake in the daylight naturally so you don’t sleep a lot as is.

Intensityintensifies t1_ix6deei wrote

What do you do for work? It sounds like you come from a family of vampire hunters. Or maybe you are the vampires…

ObscureD_Lee t1_ix6hwiv wrote

Food and medical carton mfg. It’s my families business.

2bunreal24 t1_ix3qyz2 wrote

What field are you in?

I’m picturing that you’re a descendent from snow white’s dwarves and your fam goes and mines jewels together.

ObscureD_Lee t1_ix3smhe wrote

Food/medical packaging. High volume contracts through brokers for companies like 3M, Unilever, Walmart or Conagra etc.

Drekalo t1_ix4pitm wrote

How do you control for a lower blood glucose response if not through genetics?

AnynameIwant1 t1_ix6viik wrote

I would like to disagree based on my own experience (I used to say I was a night owl). I have a genetic condition that causes me to have major problems with histamine (including too much in my body). The histamine causes me to have insomnia daily. If I didn't take my medications to treat it (can't be cured), I would fall asleep around 3-4am every day. Here is a study about it histamine's influence on sleep:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3016451/

Info about how my condition impacts sleep: https://mastcell360.com/fixing-sleep-challenges-in-mast-cell-activation-syndrome-and-histamine-intolerance/