Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dr__glass t1_iz04u3w wrote

Yea it only takes 26 min to pull the rock out of the ground. Now let's look at production times. It takes 2 to 3 hours to make a synthetic one and however many million years to make a real one

martin0641 t1_iz07idm wrote

Carbon is carbon, all diamonds are equally real.

The fact that the deBeers is trying to force the government to require synthetically created diamond to be laser etched is hilarious.

They want you to put a flaw on a perfect creation so that you get lower quality.

I think there should be labels on mined diamonds that says "mined via 12-year-old in Africa"

Dr__glass t1_iz0eno3 wrote

It's not just that carbon is carbon but diamonds are carbon in literally the most basic design. Squares on squares and they try to pretend their blood squares are more valuable than one that can be mass produced in a lab

azurleaf t1_iz0eq9z wrote

It's like those shirts made in Malaysia that stamp a picture of the person who 'made it' on the inside tag.

'Jodette helped mine this diamond to help pay for her parents chronically failing health, thank you so much for supporting her. All praise to DeBeers.'

ProjectVRD t1_iz12us2 wrote

That's perfectly fine. In return every western government should force De Beer to laser etch an 'E' on to their diamonds to denote 'Exploitation'.

[deleted] t1_iz13ty5 wrote

[removed]

martin0641 t1_iz15dzz wrote

They reflect light much better at higher clarifies, so it's more obvious at a distance that you can afford the GDP of a small country on your neck as some kind of weird flex.

I don't have any diamonds, I'm not a ferret who likes shiny things so I'm not interested anyway.

Then again other than a wedding ring I don't wear, I don't have any jewelry either, so I guess it's not diamond specific.

locoghoul t1_iz151h5 wrote

Iirc artificial ones did not have great clarity. Not that I am advocating for mined ones just pointing that out

hippyengineer t1_iz1sals wrote

They do now. Ones made in the lab are chemically pure carbon, with no impurities which impart cloudiness and lack of clarity.

Strazdas1 t1_iz451wp wrote

"Produced by slave labour" Would be a great label to have.