Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BafangFan t1_j2aas1c wrote

Here's my take: your hormones are supposed to be in some form of balance. With modern diet and modern lifestyle, our insulin levels are too high for too much of the day. When you become insulin resistant, your blood insulin levels remain higher for longer.

High insulin levels on their own are damaging to tissues.

Intermittent fasting allows time for insulin levels to come down to safer levels. Eating 6 small means throughout the day, or snacking between meals and late at night, keeps insulin levels too high for too long.

aliceroyal t1_j2ahqy1 wrote

I have PCOS with insulin resistance. I can only do IF when medicated with an appetite suppressant but it works pretty well--I see it as a kind of harm reduction, if my body is going to crave calorie-dense food, might as well restrict the amount of time I eat so I'm putting less calories in overall.

DirtyJavaMan t1_j2alxnj wrote

Just curious, why do you need the appetite suppressant? Are there benefits to it other than suppressing your appetite?

aliceroyal t1_j2amem0 wrote

So it's Ozempic, which does help with blood sugar along with the appetite suppression. It was originally a diabetes drug before celebrities figured out they could use it to lose weight lol.

DirtyJavaMan t1_j2anpkm wrote

Oh nice. ozempic also has some cardioprotective effects. thanks for your answer.

[deleted] t1_j2ablx8 wrote

[deleted]

−10

BafangFan t1_j2ad1tx wrote

As someone who is insulin resistant and wears a continuous glucose monitor, even low GI foods raise blood glucose, and therefore insulin.

The only food that doesn't raise insulin levels is fat (and maybe alcohol).

Every carbohydrate gets converted into sugar (glucose), as far as our cells are concerned.