Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

learningdesigner t1_izozc8u wrote

I haven't read the study, so hopefully you would know more about this. But, is obesity one of the main problems that this study is finding, or is it other stuff? My possibly incorrect though is that yeah, if you are obese and also practicing professional football every day, you are probably fine and healthy when it comes to diseases like diabetes. But once you stop doing labor intensive work everyday, those benefits might go away. At the end of the day, it is still unhealthy weight that affects a lot of this stuff.

Or, I could be very off base with that too.

Brynmaer t1_izpm6e1 wrote

I'm sure the large size of linemen is contributing to the worse outcomes they seem to experience in relation to the other positions. Larger people still have the same size joints and bones. Their cardiovascular system would have to grow to supply a larger body with enough oxygen. All of that can contribute to arthritis, high blood pressure, etc.

It seems like the study is mostly finding a generic link between playing a contact sport at a very high level and some advanced aging outcomes over time. They further find that linemen as a group are experiencing a larger proportion of those advanced aging outcomes relative to other positions.

They say that there could be many factors involved and that further study to isolate those factors is needed. This study simply makes a link between professional football and advanced aging on some areas related to health.