Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

ezra_sinclair t1_j1en4h7 wrote

According to behavioral biologist Robert Sapolsky, testosterone levels between men aren't well correlated to any particular behavior (aggression, sex-drive,etc) with the exception of status seeking behavior, which will manifest in a culture and individual specific context. Give a bunch of Buddhist monks testosterone and you don't see increased aggression or deeper struggles with vows of chastity, you see more giving, more prayer, more studying, etc. This is just to say that generosity, which is to be encouraged almost regardless of how the individual performing it conceptualizes it internally, can be a status seeking behavior and so because narcissistic individuals have an abnormal conceptualization of their status we can speculate that their response to anything which elicits status seeking behavior is likely to also be abnormal.

Jackers83 t1_j1fmzl1 wrote

This is extremely fascinating to me. As someone with low levels of testosterone, it’s interesting how interconnected individual components of our body interact. I’m trying to understand this topic as of late.

standarduser2 t1_j1fsh97 wrote

Link for the Monks on steroids?

ezra_sinclair t1_j1g2s7d wrote

Sapolsky used that specific language either in his Standford lectures (which are on YouTube) or in his book Behave: The Biology of Humans At Our Best and Worst. I would highly recommend both. Whether he was sighting a study or merely offering a hypothetical that he felt sufficiently confident in, I don't recall, but I trust his expertise and would encourage others to expose themselves to his work to determine their own opinions on the credibility of the viewpoint I've offered.

seemsprettylegit t1_j1hfaw9 wrote

The article posted here is saying that narcissists tend to be less generous though.

“One (perhaps somewhat funny) takeaway message from our study would be: if you are choosing a date, beware of highly narcissistic men who are simultaneously low on baseline testosterone – in our studies, they were the least generous (and most selfish) in their decisions,” Czarna added. “They shared the least resources with others. So, when going on a date with one of them – prepare to pick up the bill. Meanwhile, men who were low on both narcissism and testosterone were highly generous.”

And agreed it also doesn’t establish how testosterone plays any role in this either, seeing as how both measurements kept the same level of testosterone and only adjusted for the level of narcissism (how do you even measure that conclusively). This is a really shoddy pseudoscientific study that just screams confirmation bias. No idea why they even included testosterone in the discussion when they didn’t identify any correlation.

On a side note, the “prepare to pick up the bill” remark is just kind of a gross and manipulative sounding characterization of what they are trying to say.

Heru-Wath t1_j1i4jx2 wrote

I have a takeaway message without any study. "If you are going on a date, be always prepared to pay".

YungxHatori24 t1_j1hjsbt wrote

I’m trans and I take testosterone. I’ve definitely felt a difference in how I react to situations. I used to have more melancholic reactions and since my first testosterone intake I don’t cry for the same things and I feel strong emotions in my fists instead. I’m not the only trans person with this analogy. I wonder if it’s only people who take testosterone on regular basis ?

I want to add more: I don’t know if this is with age or hormones but in my upbringing my mom tackles life with emotions and my dad with logic and I take from both and since the testosterone I deal with problems more on a logical level but it tends to not let me feel fully my emotions hence the aggression and ticking bomb reactions.

I think no matter your hormone levels everyone can achieve a good balance of tackling problems with sensitivity and logic. Reading on philosophy has helped me tremendously. Especially Stoicism as it teaches you to feel and acknowledge your emotions so you don’t suppress them and later become a mess of a person and shut off to others’ feelings and emotions and to react with logic (to find a ground that will benefit you AND others) so you don’t haste yourself into a mistake ex: feeling mad and taking it out on someone

anonasshole56435788 t1_j1iw49y wrote

I was actually wondering this from the POV of a trans person taking T. Thank you so much for sharing this is super interesting. Do you find your emotions are stronger but more easy to control, or the opposite?

XDreamer1008 t1_j1jet6e wrote

After I started taking E + finasteride (a DHT blocker) my E & T levels both went super-high for a while. This coincided with a phase of obsessively trying to acquire Reddit karma...which may now be explained.

My T is now somewhat lower and I'm much less bothered about status. I'll keep this in mind...

YungxHatori24 t1_j1l1zxp wrote

From my experience it all depends on your own personal experience/life, there’s a lot of nuances, for example I’m in a relationship/environment that stresses me out a lot and I don’t have much time anymore that I give to myself on self reflection, I’ve repressed a lot of feelings etc, that’s why I’m saying I believe everyone can find a balance. But definitely since I’ve started T I feel a sense of panic? Like when I’m mad about something that is out of my control I just wanna lash out like it’s an all or nothing, I want to be petty and vengeful (I’ve punched out a hole in my bathroom not long ago) Another part of me after going through self reflection a few years ago believes it’s just a matter of changing your perspectives on things and allowing yourself to be sensitive, it takes a lot of work which I have difficulty going through again. When I feel a sense of panic it’s less crying and more agression but again it might just be repression and a lack of self acknowledgement?

Once my doctor prescribed me more dose than I was supposed to be receiving and the timeline fits With me feeling more balanced and confident but then again! I was single and feeling more confident!

the1ine t1_j1i3v2t wrote

>The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either -- but right through every human heart -- and through all human hearts.

~Alexandr Solzhenitsyn

demproteinz t1_j1if4cl wrote

Can’t remember where I heard it, but someone said that testosterone “makes effort feel good”.

Jives with the monk analogy.

madrolla t1_j1ieklk wrote

Well that’s not true, status seeking behavior is just being productive. It’s not always about status it’s about having energy to do things

someting-simple t1_j1k1nt8 wrote

What if, when I'm giving gifts, I feel bad cuz I feel like I'm buying people with those.

Basically, I know it will affect positively (even if only slightly ) how much they like me...and it feels bad, which leads me to not give gifts so only the ones who like me for me will stay...so what's that? Did I go full circle?

csdspartans7 t1_j1hpanb wrote

Might explain why men dominate both ends of the bell curve.

−2