Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

wanderinggoat t1_j1bivs3 wrote

I guess there are specific vegetables and some kind of carbohydrates as well. Pizza(or something similar) is eaten in the Mediterranean but is that included? my point is that I suspect saying a "Mediterranean died" is very vague when I suspect people mean something more specific but I don't know what it is.

wigg1es t1_j1bl7nj wrote

Whole grains are the carbohydrates.

But I think it's generally supposed to be vague because it's really just a different food pyramid. You don't need to eat specifically Greek or Sicilian or Moroccan food.

Part of the appeal of the Mediterranean diet is that there are a lot of cultures with similar food principles but very different flavors that you can pull from to still enjoy the food that is also improving your health.

cattledogcatnip t1_j1buwx0 wrote

Pizza is definitely not Mediterranean

−4

VintageJane t1_j1doy00 wrote

I mean, pizza very much is Mediterranean. It’s wood fire baked flatbread covered in herbs, acidic fruit and preserved dairy.

Next thing you are going to tell me that pita and tzatziki aren’t Med food.

cattledogcatnip t1_j1dqimm wrote

It’s not part of the Mediterranean diet.

−5

VintageJane t1_j1dqt0e wrote

It is if you make the crust out of whole wheat flour.

cattledogcatnip t1_j1dxo1q wrote

No. Mediterranean diet does not include processed foods, which pizza is.

−6

VintageJane t1_j1e1bga wrote

How are you defining processed? You can make very authentic pizza with nothing but yeasted/sourdough fermented whole wheat flatbread, sliced tomatoes, ricotta, olive oil and basil. What in there is too processed for you?

phredbull t1_j1frgag wrote

Apparently, they've only ever had frozen or corporate chain versions.

VintageJane t1_j1im6zl wrote

Exactly. That’s like saying “Chinese food isn’t good for a plant based diet” because of your local Panda Express selection.