Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jnelsoni t1_j69r2c1 wrote

It’s really difficult for some people to sleep during severe depression. Some people sleep all the time. The sleepless part, in my experience, is usually caused by repetitive thoughts that can’t be turned off. Often that inner dialogue gets to be a debate about the merits of life versus the resolution and peace of nonexistence. It’s a really horrible problem to have insomnia as the most prominent depressive symptom. I’d much prefer the sleeping all the time version. Your wife is wise to have sleep as the first question.
I guess I wanted to say that it’s not necessarily poor sleep hygiene that causes depression, but that depression can be the primary cause of insomnia. In either case, insomnia is a dangerous accelerant, and if someone is dealing with that kind of depressed insomnia, it’s time to get some help, fast.

eldenrim t1_j6fcy06 wrote

Just in case you didn't know, sleep disordered breathing can cause insomnia and depression, and unless you've had a test for both sleep apnea and UARS, you can't rule it out.

Me and my partner both have UARS. We pass sleep apnea tests. I oversleep and my partner has incredibly bad insomnia.

Worth looking into!

jnelsoni t1_j6fdxmv wrote

It definitely is! I know my mom uses one of those machines at night and had to go through observed sleep studies. I wonder if they have a home monitor for diagnosis. I’m trying to imagine doing one in a hospital setting and them getting frustrated ( and me going broke) after I still haven’t fallen asleep after 2 days. I will definitely ask about it. I’m trying a therapist when I get back to the states and focusing on CBT for sleep hygiene and whatnot. I’m not sure how that’s going to work, but I have a sleep-log to start keeping track. Thanks!