Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

parrotlunaire t1_j67vf2y wrote

Repellent device = a tube containing insecticide-soaked cotton. Great that it works.

Nose-Nuggets t1_j68cpon wrote

Does it smell noticable to humans like over-the-counter stuff

BeKind_BeTheChange t1_j684tol wrote

The 3M ear plugs also passed the military tests. I don't have a lot of faith in military tests.

Nose-Nuggets t1_j68clhq wrote

I thought 3m was generally considered a good quality name brand?

UMPB t1_j68nh7f wrote

Anecdotally I really like their double sided tape as long as it's stored properly it stays good for a long time. I leave it in the fridge in the garage

myshiningmask t1_j6dwetg wrote

it's a chemical and materials company really and some of their products are very effective. Their earplugs the military (US) used for some years ended up not performing to spec and leaving many service members with permanent hearing damage.

the company is huge and holds a lot of patents. they are not a cheap knockoff producer if that's what you mean.

Dweebil t1_j69pbpp wrote

What’s wrong with their ear plugs?

BeKind_BeTheChange t1_j6dafym wrote

The military-spec ear plugs didn't work. Massive lawsuits. Much more to it, but that's the gist.

Amidus t1_j69r9f8 wrote

The military also put soldiers in trenches near nuclear blasts

More at 10: some people say the military uses some of its personnel to conduct tests on that they don't know the health hazards on

SmuckSlimer t1_j6b0al3 wrote

I have faith that the device given to testers works. I don't have faith in the rest of the process.

anniecet t1_j6bzinv wrote

Willing to volunteer for civilian testing… I can’t possibly get bitten more

AutoModerator t1_j67uj42 wrote

Welcome to r/science! This is a heavily moderated subreddit in order to keep the discussion on science. However, we recognize that many people want to discuss how they feel the research relates to their own personal lives, so to give people a space to do that, personal anecdotes are allowed as responses to this comment. Any anecdotal comments elsewhere in the discussion will be removed and our normal comment rules apply to all other comments.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

BentonD_Struckcheon t1_j69rhj4 wrote

Simple remedy: Noxzema. No lie. It has eucalyptus oil, and it acts as a repellent. Look it up. I actually use it in the summertime when I go out. I know I'm good when my wife faints as I go by: she's sensitive to smells.

Dropeza t1_j68disb wrote

We could eradicate mosquitoes if we really tried. We already have technologies like gene drive and alternatives like wolbachia engineering. It would have little ecological impact and improve quality of life along with disease prevention. The US could easily finance it if it dedicated justa a bit of its military budget, but more tanks better I guess.

−7

Mycousinvindy t1_j68pem4 wrote

Idk, history has shown any time humans attempt to eradicate something... There are generally terrible outcomes. We could do better at treating diseases spread from this bussing bastards.

RigbyRoadIce t1_j691rkn wrote

Like? Ecologists all tend to believe eradicating malaria-susceptible mosquitos for example would not produce a significant impact on the food web in the region.

Mycousinvindy t1_j6983ki wrote

I mean on another post I already explained I don't pretend to know the ecology of mosquitoes. Their are a multitude of interactions between animals from their predators or plants. I know most mosquitoes don't even drink blood and a lot are pollinators. I believe only female mosquitos drink blood and their male counter part may play a role in the ecosystem. Also their larvae stage may be a major player for some aquatic species. That's off the dome, but how any of these interactions would actually effect I have no clue.

I never said we shouldn't, just that eradicating sections have ripple effects that are largely not always predictable. Accounting for all interactions within nature is nearly impossible and we can only speculate. We can agree upon hypothesis but to state you know the outcome with 100%, truth is asinine.

xeric t1_j69nat9 wrote

This is much safer than eradicating all mosquitos - eliminating 1 or 2 species that are really effective at transmitting malaria while allowing other species to take over that part of the ecosystem feels especially low-risk, given it could save hundreds of thousands of lives per year

Dropeza t1_j68pw45 wrote

What terrible outcome could come out of wiping out human targeting mosquitoes? We already have successfully controlled species that transmit dengue through these means. Mosquitoes that don’t transmit disease may also inflict a lot of pain on people that are allergic to the chemicals in their saliva. We have nothing to lose from exterminating these species.

−2

Mycousinvindy t1_j68rgn6 wrote

I'm not going to pretend I know exactly what's going to happen or have done any research into the ecology of mosquitoes. I just know it's never as simple as, "yes just wipe out an organism from the food chain and it will be fine."