Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

zero0n3 t1_j9so8ni wrote

Don’t argue with me argue with the dictionary.

Art is a fucking concept. Literally impossible without other concepts like “emotion” and “free will”.

Art isn’t just the painting storing a snapshot. It’s the moment itself. Experiencing it.

turnip_burrito t1_j9sohr2 wrote

I see now that you aren't addressing my point on scarcity and are just repeating that "all expression is art". Are you going to add anything new?

duboispourlhiver t1_j9sov5i wrote

You are talking about two different things, I think you are both right.

turnip_burrito t1_j9sp64j wrote

It's because the word "art" has several definitions used by different groups of people. It's not a word with one definition in reality.

MrSickRanchezz t1_j9uz5sb wrote

At no point in history has art ever been scarce on a global scale. The only societies art has EVER even been suppressed in, were dictatorships, where someone specifically had a problem with art and killed people for making it. But even then, there's plenty of art from those places.

Not sure who told you art was scarce at some point, but they're wrong, and you're wrong. Hell we have found art from our non-human ancestors. You're clearly completely out of your element, and talking out of your ass here. You'd be wise to quit digging.

MrSickRanchezz t1_j9uyzk1 wrote

Humans have always, and will always have both emotion and free will. At no point in history has art ever been scarce on a global scale. The only societies art has EVER even been suppressed in, were dictatorships, where someone specifically had a problem with art and killed people for making it. But even then, there's plenty of art from those places.

Not sure who told you art was scarce at some point, but they're wrong, and you're wrong. Hell we have found art from our non-human ancestors. You're clearly completely out of your element, and talking out of your ass here. You'd be wise to quit digging.

zero0n3 t1_j9vo41k wrote

I wasn’t the one saying art was scarce. I’m the one saying it was abundant! It’s the medium we record it on that has changed over time. The concept of art really hasn’t.

And even then it wasn’t scarce. Just look at the pyramids. Art everywhere from the writing to the presentation of mummies etc.

The emotion and free will piece was more conceptual. Like A species that doesn’t have emotions or free will wouldn’t be able to create or understand art at any level.