Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

helpskinissues t1_j9y4y2e wrote

Not really that more efficient nor effective unless you add a relevant part done by foot plus delays. Buses are really bad and slow compared to taxis even in best scenarios.

Also disagree with the "recreating traffic" argument. More people would use public transportation thanks to mini buses with self driving.

Puzzleheaded_Pop_743 t1_j9yckq3 wrote

I think you are missing their point. They are just saying that many cities are just structured so inefficiently that cars are required to live there. But this is not necessary.

helpskinissues t1_j9yd07j wrote

That's unrelated to self driving technology, it's not a criticism nor a reason to be against the technology, it's unrelated.

Deadboy00 t1_j9yr02x wrote

If policy increases the capacity for more cars to be on the road, it will increase the amount of cars on the road.

Mo cars, mo problems.

Nyc and other cities are actively trying to limit the amount of congestion. 14th street in Manhattan (one of widest, most travelled) has been restricted to busses and bikes for the last couple years. Plus they’re congestion fees, tolls, etc to discourage cars. And more legislation* is on the way.

*with overwhelming support by the public

helpskinissues t1_j9yrauh wrote

I don't see any contradiction between restricting the amount of vehicles and self driving technologies. In every city with vehicle limitations, taxis are available. Waymo are basically next gen taxis. So I don't see any issue.