Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Outrageous_Nothing26 t1_jeevj66 wrote

It’s not about the skynet scenario bro, it’s about trusting those governments. We don’t know if they will just provide the bare minimum to survive and since your skills become useless there is no exit, leaving us in precarious situations where only some have access to services. It might send us all tho ghettos, remember humans are still in charge snd they don’t have great track records. They could use that ai to suppress any type of insurrection as well, we are at the mercy of a few decisión makers

StarCaptain90 OP t1_jeexul3 wrote

Believe it or not I hear more Skynet concerns than that, but I do understand your fear. The implication of AGI is risky if it's in the hands of one entity. But I do think a solution is not shutting down AI development, I've been seeing a lot of that lately and I find it irrational and illogical. First of all, nobody can shut down AI. Pausing future development at some corporations for a short period is more likely, but then what? China, Russia, and other countries are going to keep advancing. And most people don't understand AI development, we are currently entering that development spike. If we fall behind even 1 year, that's devastating to us. AI development follows an exponential curve. I don't think it makes sense that any government would even consider pausing because of this. Assuming theyre intelligent.

Outrageous_Nothing26 t1_jefb1kh wrote

I agree with you we cannot stop it. It’s an arms race already. Fortunately so far it seems to be released to the public and not kept secret to just benefit a few number of people.