Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

GoodAndBluts t1_jdrd8q1 wrote

I am mid 50s, and will retire within the next 5 years (maybe sooner, maybe later, maybe it will be forced upon me since I am an older person in the software world). If I get laid off and have to retire because of GPT, so be it.

But... For the last few years it has haunted me that maybe my savings have to support me and my 2 children. Even before chatGPT I spent time wondering how exactly they will be able to make a good, secure living with things like automation and outsourcing eating away at their ability to make good money

I have been processing my thoughts on chatGPT and I am not sure it is the risk that everyone thinks it is - but even so, things are changing so rapidly - how can you pick a career - any career- and expect it is still going to be viable in 10 years?

eJaguar t1_jdrxmjo wrote

> how can you pick a career - any career- and expect it is still going to be viable in 10 years?

the same reason how i ended up in this 1, which is the same as yours

be good at something people want to pay you for. be really good at something people want to pay you for, stand up for yourself, and you'll eat really good.

at the end of the day, i'm good at making $, all a career is at the end of the day is you producing more $ for somebody else than they pay you. the job of 'youtuber' didn't even exist 15 years ago. what you do is really engrave a love of learning into your kids, show them all the cool stuff they can do that other people don't even understand, and really emphasize exactly how brutal capitalism is in the united states and how horrific their lives will be if they're not able to generate substantial value for others.

this whole idea of 'picking a career' is and has always been meme anyway. you remove the bazillion layers of red tape and beaurcracy required to do $x job, and instead have some assessment process that demonstrates provable competency (similar to the BAR), allowing people to more easily transition between 'career' paths. this seems especially important considering that chatgpt 3.5 as-is is already a better teacher than any I had in public school.

a decade ago i had already developed an intense hatred for institutionalized education anyway, why do i have to waste my time in this fucking prison to learn shit that i could, and often did, learn in 30 minutes on the internet. with chatgpt, i couldn't even imagine being a student now being forced to waste my childhood in an environment akin to a fucking jail doing shit i knew was pointless and not applicable to the world as it is now, much less in 5 years.

with the death of institutionalized education, the death of the 'career path' soon follows

just my opinion.

SurroundSwimming3494 t1_jds9phn wrote

>with chatgpt, i couldn't even imagine being a student now being forced to waste my childhood in an environment akin to a fucking jail doing shit i knew was pointless and not applicable to the world as it is now, much less in 5 years.

I think school is more complex than that, on average, IMO.

rabbitdude t1_jdsu47z wrote

This is so spot on… A realistic, balanced perspective. Cheers!