Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Zero_Waist t1_irs1eit wrote

Consciousness is an emergent property in the universe.

Neburtron t1_irtn3a9 wrote

From a rule set we give it, from a specific scenario we provide.

Only one species we have found - undeniable - consciousness enough to consider a creator or ethics or a purpose beyond survival.

Zero_Waist t1_iruqqne wrote

Are humans the only species conscious? I disagree and would even say we are not the only species with culture.

moos14 t1_irvgl2h wrote

do you have an example of culture in another species?

I agree on the consciousness. I just don't see why at least primates would not have a similar consciousness.

Zero_Waist t1_irz10ki wrote

Maybe whale songs and migrations, dolphins and bubble rings, wolf packs…

michaelhoney t1_irvmyyl wrote

There are definitely learned behaviours which are passed on socially, and some populations have them and some don’t. An example here in Australia is swooping magpies: in many parts they become homicidal in the nesting season, whereas where I live they are calm around humans all year round.

RightiesHateFair t1_irv6xkt wrote

The only reason we think we KNOW that humans are conscious is because each individual believes themselves conscious, so they assume it applies to everyone else. It probably does, of course, but it would be logically incoherent to not assume that it applies to animals as well, though to a lesser extent.

Rumianti6 OP t1_irs4qco wrote

Found the Idealist

−17

answermethis0816 t1_irsg7qq wrote

Surely you don’t mean idealism in the philosophical sense, because that’s not what idealism is…

Emergent property just means that none of the individual objects that comprise the whole have the property, but the whole does. For example, mortar and bricks don’t have the properties of a wall, but when combined in a specific configuration they do. Still material.