Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Devanismyname t1_ixkbv5b wrote

How do you not understand it when you literally just explained it? For the entirety of human existence, including right now and the foreseeable future, people have died and there was nothing we could do about it. Now, over the horizon, there is the possibility scientists could fix aging and make people live longer. But most people on earth aren't really familiar with this kind of futuristic tech and still view aging and dying as an inevitable part of life. Its not cult like acceptance, its just acceptance of the reality of being alive. If anything, people on this sub are more cult like because they believe with out doubt that we will be immortal.

PandaCommando69 t1_ixl6knl wrote

We (humans) will be (functionally) immortal. Why not us? Someone has to be the first generation. I think we will be.

Devanismyname t1_ixmnwao wrote

The odds of it happening are getting worse as the weeks pass. Scientifically, we are closer than ever. But economically, socially, and politically human civilization is headed for some tough times. Deglobalization is happening at lightening speed. That means our supply chains break down, meaning our food, electronics, vehicles and other goods go up in price or become unavailable. That means more and more countries stop manufacturing goods for the west and the overall standard of living on earth drops dramatically. That means there are less and less civilized countries for smart people to come from and continue to advance science because more and more have fallen to starvation and savage wars with one another as countries and alliances fracture and break apart due to starvation and collapse. We are in the beginning of this horrible period of time. The world is breaking apart, loyalties are shifting, breaking, or becoming stronger. This could result in a prolonged period of lower and lower standards of living and stagnation in science and innovation.

PandaCommando69 t1_ixmr5lu wrote

I agree with you that we are undergoing a de globalization, and that it is having, and will have, many negative effects around the world. From the available data I have been able to examine, I believe that the United States (& Canada and Mexico) is best positioned in the world (integrated domestic economy, plentiful fertile land, and huge quantities raw materials) to ride out the coming storm. Note: If anybody would like someone to blame, feel free to point your fingers directly at China and Russia. If they just could have stopped themselves from being belligerents (and thieves, particularly in the case of China), then we wouldn't have to be doing all this decoupling. Their shortsightedness is going to damn a lot of people around the world (look at the growing food crisis because of the war in Ukraine).