Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fauxfinnish t1_iyrxrmt wrote

Reply to comment by SgathTriallair in this sub by TinyBurbz

I get tired of the argument that “all artists steal from each other” being used to justify training AI on copyrighted work because the two are not equivalent in actuality, nor in their impact on artists’ livelihoods and the art industry in general. The implications of AI doing this is far worse. It’s yet another way for wealth to be shifted from the majority to the ever-shrinking minority. Philistines or luddites, none of us will win.

EDIT: Downvote all you want. I’m speaking truth. No one will win but corporations. And it’s not just the arts industry—the entire economic system is going to need to change if people are going to have an income at all.

−1

SgathTriallair t1_iys3ej2 wrote

Marvel comics. It is absolutely 100% true that vast hordes of writers, artists, and other creative persons have read a ton of marvel comics and it impacts the style and stories they tell.

Yes, there will be companies that choose to use AI art and there will be humans who lose jobs. That is the story of automation. It isn't special to artists in any way. It's just that artists thought they were special snowflakes who could never be replaced and are realizing that ALL human activities can be replaced.

This isn't shifting wealth away from the masses. This is giving the tools of art to the masses. That is part of why AI is so exciting. I don't have any skills at drawing, but with AI driven art I can make my own art for RPGs or whatever whims I have. In the past I would need to pay for it, cajole a friend into doing it for free, or just not have the art exist.

With these new tools we will see an increase in the world of interesting art and the ability to create cool projects gets opened up.

I know that automation and the singularity especially is scary but the goal is to free humans of drudgery. We don't want to send the artists into the coal mines. We want to free the artists from the need to sell their art for money so they can create for the sheer joy of creating and not need to worry whether it's consumer friendly.

TinyBurbz OP t1_iysj442 wrote

>This is giving the tools of art to the masses

Stopped reading here. Literally everyone has the "tools of art" stop trying to gaslight people.

−2

SgathTriallair t1_iyvs93u wrote

Then why would anyone ever hire artists in the past? If literally everyone can do what an artists does then they are already worthless. So which is it? Do artists have a set of skills that the AI is replicating or can I just get my nephew to do that for free?