Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

el_chaquiste t1_j198glp wrote

> the tech giant could struggle to compete with the newer, smaller companies developing these chat bots, because of the many ways the technology could damage its business

It looks like Kodak inventing and ignoring digital photography all over again. Google is in a lot of ways responsible for what we are seeing, even if they didn't make GPT-3 themselves.

Companies can be innovative, but later they grow a market, a mindset and tend to ignore innovations that endanger their core business model, being replaced by those without those blind spots.

Prayers4Wuhan t1_j1bpx64 wrote

Remember yahoo?

If people go to their AI assistant for all their search needs google is dunked

bigkoi t1_j1ctkar wrote

Help me understand how I watch YouTube or get directions in chatgpt?

CleanThroughMyJorts t1_j1dvyx9 wrote

You're thinking about this all wrong.

Look at some of the projects coming out of Google research to see where this is going:

Phenaki combines LLMs to generate video sequences

Combine that with something like Wordcraft which allows LLMs to retain consistency for much longer form writing (like entire scripts), and you can start to generate long form synthetic videos.

Those on their own are an interesting product already: being able to ask a bot like chatGPT to make you mini movies on any topic that you can edit simply through prompting like chatGPT?

but take it even further: combine that with an algorithm like tiktok's recommender & Invert it as a reward model for RLHF like openAI does with their davinci models and you also then start getting ways for AIs to automatically generate new content that people like, and recommended them to people. A lot of people scoff at tiktok, but it's enough of a scare to Google that YouTube had to copy it.

I think synthetic media can revolutionise how we consume content: Holodecks are not outside the realm of possibility anymore

bigkoi t1_j1dwmyk wrote

Very good. Thank you for the detailed response.

Depression_God t1_j18sw2h wrote

Why would you link this paywall clickbait trash

bustedbuddha t1_j191e8y wrote

Here's some non paywall coverage from MSN https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/googles-management-has-reportedly-issued-a-code-red-amid-the-rising-popularity-of-the-chatgpt-ai/ar-AA15xcdY?li=BBnb7Kz

​

>-Google issued a "code red" in response to the rise of AI bot ChatGPT, NYT reports.
>
>CEO Sundar Pichai redirected some teams to focus on building out AI products, per the report.
>
>-The move comes as talks abound over whether ChatGPT could one day replace Google's search engine.
>
>-Google's management issued a "code red" amid the launch of ChatGPT — the buzzy conversational AI chat bot created by OpenAI — as it's sparked concerns over the future of the Google search engine, The New York Times reported.
>
>Sundar Pichai, the CEO of Google's parent company, Alphabet, participated in several meetings around Google's AI strategy and has directed numerous groups in the company to refocus their efforts on addressing the threat that ChatGPT poses on its search engine business, according to an internal memo and audio recording reviewed by the Times.
>
>In particular, teams in Google's research, Trust and Safety division among other departments have been directed to switch gears to assist in the development and launch of new AI prototypes and products, the Times reported. Some employees have even been tasked to build AI products that generate art and graphics similar to OpenAI's DALL-E used by millions of people, according to the Times.

ExternaJudgment t1_j1938w7 wrote

Idiots are just whining because they're now the ones way behind the curve and no one is taking them seriously as AI company anymore.

Same as no one is taking fakebook seriously since the metashit fiasco.

bustedbuddha t1_j194m7i wrote

That's a very judgey and not very useful read on the situation. The more relevant point is that this could lead to a corporate development race, and if one of them starts more seriously optimizing for social manipulation (to use the ML systems to create a preference in the public for their product) the second order effects will probably be fairly extreme.

94746382926 t1_j1an7zf wrote

That's not the case at all. Google and Deepmind publish more AI papers than anyone else in the field currently. They literally invented the transformer model that GPT 3 is based off of. Also, they've had paLM for almost a year now and that's already better than GPT 3. I'm pretty sure Imagen is better than Dalle 2 as well although that's more open to interpretation.

They just haven't released these to the public because it isn't worth the reputational risk for them until they can be sure these language models aren't making false and potentially harmful statements anymore.

OpenAI hasn't done anything on the level of AlphaGo or AlphaZero yet like Deepmind has. AlphaTensor just came out recently as well so they're clearly still making progress.

Also to add one more thing, Sundar Pichai isn't calling a code red because they think they're behind technologically speaking. They're calling a code red because having a LLM remove the need for search is a huge threat to their ad business. Even if everyone is using Google's assistant instead of GPT 4 or whatever it's still detrimental to their bottom line as a bot can't serve ads the same way their search can.

Equivalent-Ice-7274 t1_j1c1u9y wrote

I was thinking about how Google might figure out ways to get ads into their version of a chatbot, and they will probably figure out how to do it, albeit in different ways. I can see ads after every sentence or two, hyperlinks to websites within the chatbot’s responses, and banner ads above and below the responses.

WrongTechnician t1_j1cm08a wrote

Exactly. They went too far on the perfection being the enemy of progress spectrum. Although given the potential implications of the tech being prudent here may be a better long term play for society. There’s an ever present struggle with providing information that is accurate, information that is plausibly accurate, and what a customer/user values more.

bustedbuddha t1_j18z0o5 wrote

Can someone cut and paste this?

CleanThroughMyJorts t1_j1dz37h wrote

Good. Finally. Google made its own chatGPT a year ago and just refused to release it to the public because they believed Chat bots are "not something that people can use reliably on a daily basis,"

I can't help but feel sweet schadenfreude now that they're in a code red because of the contempt these labs treat the public with: oh people aren't ready for these tools so they need to be the moral arbiters to dictate precisely how they are allowed to be used. Like come off it.

I wonder how long they will hold this position when the competition heats up

gavlang t1_j1a30dq wrote

Misleading headline. Google actualy made and contributed to chatgpt. They are worried about smaller startups using the technology which would disrupt the industry.

−1

zipperdz t1_j19eg7k wrote

This is why I love capitalism. The only winner is going to be the consumer.

−3

WrongTechnician t1_j1cm62x wrote

This idea ignores the possibility that consumers will consume things that are actually bad for them. FB misinformation, SEO manipulation, are not necessarily pro consumer despite being profitable. People love cheap sugar and look how that’s working out for society.

zipperdz t1_j1cpy7k wrote

Even now, with all the misinformation, I am happy with advancements in technology. They power agriculture, healthcare, logistics and many quality of life tools to connect people around the world. This race for AI will only further the efficiency of these systems and unlock new possibilities that will save lives and put food in mouths. And bro, if Twitter offends you just close your eyes lol it’s a screen. No need to knock the future because the internet is scary sometimes

WrongTechnician t1_j1cx61n wrote

I’m very active on Twitter and it does not offend me, that’s a peculiar association and odd bias you seem to have inserted here. You can be pro capitalism and pro technology while also being thoughtful about its potential risks. The theoretical argument for the Twitter purchase is to encourage free speech and highlight how big companies have used their tech to shift public narratives and opinions. Google almost certainly does this to some extent already. Google rushing with a half baked competitor releasing an intelligence that is so believable most people do not scrutinize it for accuracy has profound implications for human society.