Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

anaIconda69 t1_j183iro wrote

This is a matter of adoption and scaling. I don't know when it will happen, but as more people begin to use AI assistants, websites will have to adapt to new ways of searching for information online.

I'm sure Google will find a new (perhaps better) way to monetize, if I had to guess it would be by having a Google search assistant serve you a short answer to whatever query you enter, then a selection of websites with more information. Those websites would pay to be included in the selection, or otherwise optimize for being naturally selected by AI assistants.

Swiper_aplha t1_j189caz wrote

Yes you're right and Google is already taking the same path from what I see. For some search queries like for a place or a personality it shows info in a modular format like a collection of popular and most searched about them with an android 13 theme.

If this pay-to-be-shown model is adopted by Google then from where will the websites make money? Currently, they make most of it by serving ads the web page. Hope most of the info on the internet doesn't get paywalled

anaIconda69 t1_j18l8s3 wrote

Maybe the AI would give just a little info and offer to send you to those websites, and once there you'd get ads. Unless that model changes as well.

I've left the mass advertising industry a few years ago so I'm not sure how PPC ad campaigns are performing these days. Heard the banner blindness effect is progressing and advertising increasingly relies on trust and image.

addictedposter OP t1_j187pow wrote

Maybe Google will even make their own bot? Or could be that every tech company will join in on the chatbot bandwagon like it usually does. Then educators will even add how to use chatbots for “optimizing their websites lol. Instead of “how to SEO” type of content.

Swiper_aplha t1_j188pso wrote

Google assistant is halfway there I guess, they're testing out a lot of AI models from what I've read and have released a beta called imagen that can do text to image

anaIconda69 t1_j18lfym wrote

You're spot on. Google has a reputation to uphold so I wouldn't expect a ChatGPT clone from them. But they will answer - time will show how.