Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Accomplished_Ad_8814 t1_j05ojb5 wrote

>If we cannot clearly separate monetary pursuits and meaningful pursuits in our minds

Money is just a handy abstraction of value, and value measures meaning. The problem in our society relates only to meaning, not money.

redtrx t1_j067q7e wrote

No money is an abstraction of exchange value, that is value in relation to capitalist exchange of commodities. This is distinct from actual use value, let alone ethical notions of 'value' and 'meaning'.

Accomplished_Ad_8814 t1_j06aa0i wrote

It being an abstraction of "exchange value" leads to effectively being an abstraction of value, as it creates a reference system to compare things to each other. And the "use value" is implied.

jamesj OP t1_j05yemr wrote

Money isn't always an efficient measure of value, though.

Accomplished_Ad_8814 t1_j062rju wrote

No, but that's orthogonal. Crypto (whether in its current form or as CBDCs) will allow to (efficiently) monetarize all social value (i.e. simply formalize it).

mocha_sweetheart t1_j063krh wrote

Why not just have a moneyless classless stateless society? A system with no hierarchies where resources are equally distributed. Like the Venus Project

Accomplished_Ad_8814 t1_j068mkg wrote

Hmm (I'm not the one downvoting btw) resource-based economy sounds good, though the use of AI doesn't come without its own philosophical problems. But it's efficient, yes. Ultimately I think we're moving towards becoming (gradually diminishing) nodes of a super computer. The problem with meaning remains however: what do we prioritize? this defines where money flows to in our current system and where resources flow to in a highly efficient resource-based economy.

Utoko t1_j066u0s wrote

Our society values work and money over meaning and fulfillment. This needs to change. We need a culture shift to prioritize what truly matters in life.