Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Martholomeow t1_j5wdw51 wrote

the internet is already broken. most of the search results i get seem like they were written by bots, and many of them were written by low paid writers who just write posts based on what people are searching for. Half the stuff i find is not only wrong but in many cases nonsensical and self contradictory.

I actually know someone who works for one of these places. She writes articles on things she knows nothing about by just rewriting articles that are already out there, thus regurgitating and spreading the nonsense.

She showed me a tech article she had written and it was completely wrong, yet the seo made it rise to the top of the results, alongside a bunch of other articles on the same topic that also got it completely wrong.

It’s becoming pointless to search

enkae7317 t1_j60038m wrote

You mean half the searches are essentially just ads that are highly prevalent by SEO. I agree the search engine is broken.

The other day I was looking up how to do some power query stuff on excel. What I would normally do is go to google search and type it in and then wade through links of bullshit/ads for about 10 minutes before I finally MAYBE find somebody else that has had the same problem in the past. Then if I'm lucky--it'll have somebody that responded with the right answer.

Instead, I went to ChatGPT and simply typed in my issue and ChatGPT was able to, not one, but give me THREE solutions to my problem. Within seconds.

Martholomeow t1_j600zdf wrote

yes i’ve started to use chatGPT for these kinds of things too