Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NeokratosRed t1_j8eijss wrote

I know, I was just joking! Seeing one of those is on my list, as well as seeing the Aurora borealis and a dark sky, since I live in Napoli, one of the most light-polluted cities in the world, with no trace of dark skies nearby :(

LegitimateGift1792 t1_j8ejan4 wrote

Can't you just drive south to the mountains that separate you from Amalfi? For the dark sky i mean.

NeokratosRed t1_j8etvpn wrote

If you look at the light pollution map, you’ll see that the whole Italy is not suitable to see the Milky Way with the naked eye :/ (Unless you count some isolated places in Sardinia)

LegitimateGift1792 t1_j8ey9it wrote

WOW. I would have thought the Swiss/Italian Alps would have more dark spots.

Rain1dog t1_j8eonaf wrote

Naples area? If so what is the climate like? Has to be such a gorgeous area being on the Mediterranean, ya?

I feel you on light pollution. I live in the burbs(right outside) of New Orleans. While Orleans city proper is nothing remotely close to a New York, Miami, L.A. the metro area is massive.

You can see Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus, Mercury and the major constellations but when you go about 30 miles away the night sky is breathtakingly beautiful.

NeokratosRed t1_j8eu90g wrote

I love Napoli. I have been in many other places, but I keep preferring Naples to other major cities like Milan, Rome, etc…

One day I might just go to Sardinia or some other less light polluted area and experience the night sky as our ancestors saw it!

Rain1dog t1_j8eumgz wrote

That sounds wonderful!! it does indeed look like an absolutely beautiful city. It really is a gorgeous country.

NeokratosRed t1_j8euv5l wrote

You should visit it one day! The food is top notch, especially pizza and pastries

Rain1dog t1_j8ev4tx wrote

I was just watching “Tokyo Lense” a YouTube channel about a guy who documents his life in Japan and this world is so incredibly beautiful. I wish I had infinite money in more than 80 years cause this little rock we’re on his quite sexy..