Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cheap_as_chips t1_jbqiazv wrote

I still can't take the name "Space Force" seriously. Sounds like something from a bad comedy

Sassy-irish-lassy t1_jbqqt5e wrote

Yeah, could you imagine if they renamed the United States Army Air Corps something stupid like the "air force" lol

RedArmyBushMan t1_jbs1vzj wrote

United States Army Corp of Astronauts was my vote.

bigbaltic t1_jbsidc8 wrote

It's not just astronauts though, just like the navy isn't carriers.

The space force also manages space technologies for intelligence, communication, etc

RedArmyBushMan t1_jbtnss8 wrote

Marines aren't just aquatic fighters. Sometimes you have to sacrifice functionality in the name of style.

TheLoomingMoon t1_jbqj6db wrote

Like a bad comedy named "Space Force?"

MooseBurgers511 t1_jbrkcg4 wrote

John Malkovich was trying so hard to make that show work

CrispyRussians t1_jbrxapf wrote

Didn't try hard enough. Practically falling asleep when Steve carrel wasn't carrying it and even then it sucked. I also would've watched a second season.

_Odaeus_ t1_jbsbj2h wrote

There is a second season of Space Force.

Imeanttodothat10 t1_jbrsru9 wrote

I found space force really enjoyable. I wish it hadn't been cancelled.

smallbiceps90 t1_jbswzf4 wrote

Glad I’m not the only one. It was as good a comedy as you’re gonna get these days, especially on Netflix

baronvonpoopy t1_jbr4mjc wrote

Hey, it wasn’t great but it wasn’t BAD. The episode with Congress was spot on!

12edDawn t1_jbqoa0x wrote

neither could the general populace in 1947.

_zerokarma_ t1_jbqqb5i wrote

Was there alternative names being considered at the time?

CurtisLeow t1_jbqzsr7 wrote

Space Guard. It’s less silly sounding, and more consistent with the actual mission. They’re the space equivalent of the Coast Guard.

TheKingPotat t1_jbr6jme wrote

Satellite corps or orbital corps sounds much better

murder-farts t1_jbrn0pm wrote

I looked that woman right in her orbital corps and I said… ^biiiiiiiiiiich

New_Poet_338 t1_jbv2980 wrote

No it is way sillier. It sounds like the space version of the National Guard. Also the Coast Guard is more of a law enforcement agency.

rosen380 t1_jbt3mbr wrote

The Mongooses. That's a cool team name, The Fighting Mongooses.

ArmChairAnalyst86 t1_jbr5v6u wrote

It is. It's on Netflix. It's called "Space Force"

Actually kinda funny, but it's still bad. It's background noise.

cybercuzco t1_jbswyhf wrote

Yeah, should have been starfleet.

CarbonIceDragon t1_jbvcf4y wrote

If I had named it, I'd have gone with "spacy", just because watching macross as a kid has that feeling at some level like the right name for a space military branch to me.

[deleted] t1_jbr0yff wrote

[removed]

−3

CrimsonEnigma t1_jbrt9gk wrote

The PNAC first advocated for the Space Force in "Rebuilding America’s Defenses", a September 2000 document. But talk of spinning off the Air Force Space Command into its own branch, including the name "Space Force", dates back to the 1990s.

Also, although this is kind of beside the point, PNAC didn't become the Tea Party. PNAC went defunct in 2006. Its remnants would go on to form the Foreign Policy Initiative (FPI) in 2009. The Tea Party rose to prominence in 2009, but not out of PNAC or FPI; if anything, it came out of Ron Paul's ill-fated 2008 Presidential Run. The Tea Party movement and FPI were at odds with each other early-on, with Tea Party leaders accusing FPI of trying to "co-opt their movement" (the dispute largely arose over whether or not military spending should be lowered or raised).