Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thruster_fuel69 t1_it8mkbb wrote

Ok, so do we start planning for a wormhole attack? Multi dimensional space time folding? Pure magic, from our point of view if they make it all this way to see us.

The only plan should be to learn about the aliens, when we see them. Making up solvable fantasies now is a fools game.

Rao_Tzu t1_it8n9a7 wrote

I’m thinking we can and should game our own reactions to multiple scenarios better than the granular details on said scenarios themselves.

thruster_fuel69 t1_it8nci3 wrote

We can't imagine the scenarios dude. It's pointless. What are you practicing exactly.

Rao_Tzu t1_it8nypa wrote

Never heard of Sociology?

thruster_fuel69 t1_it8oge7 wrote

Lmao sure. How will people react to mini wormholes warping soldiers into their homes? Or how will they feel when the 3rd dimension is removed and we're all suddenly squashed. There's a massive amount of very different possibilities that we can't imagine. Planning for them is stupid, but maybe it's just right for sociology 🤭

Rao_Tzu t1_it90hmq wrote

You scared, bro?

You sound scared.

thruster_fuel69 t1_it90pyf wrote

I'm scared for all of us. Humanity is going to be focus locked on their known science when aliens come. Going to get sucker punched looking down at our hands.

Rao_Tzu t1_it9lq0s wrote

I saw an interview with some professor who agreed with you on the futility of speculating about our response to the arrival of an interstellar civilization. He compared it to iguanas discussing how to greet the first human explorers in the Galapagos:

“Of course they like to eat flies, right? Should we offer them live flies or dead flies? Should we line the flies up?”

We’ve had a good run. It was fun while it lasted, with the ice cream and reggae and football and belly dancing and shit.

Ima go pour myself a stiff one now.

thruster_fuel69 t1_it9m1n3 wrote

Thank you, yes exactly. Beyond some rudimentary emergency plans to get the smartest people finding solutions based on what the threat is actually, I don't see any point. Better off focusing on what we can do now to improve before they get here.