Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

thepoopiestofbutts t1_iu9y4ca wrote

Mntfrd_Graverobber t1_iua83km wrote

All the AWS money in the world couldn't build a rocket that works. So sad.

edit: I do enjoy mocking both Bezos and Blue Origin but can honestly say I would prefer it and the world would be a better place if BO's rockets were doing orbital flights on the regular. I'm just making lemonade with the lemons we got.

ackermann t1_iuaw1qc wrote

Not an orbital rocket, at least. New Shepherd worked ok, until that last flight…

Mntfrd_Graverobber t1_iuazd87 wrote

Sure, a rocket that doesn't reach orbit is still a rocket. But other than test flights, they are pretty much just good for seeding clouds. Or joy rides.
Reaching orbit is the real goal.

sevaiper t1_iubdvld wrote

A profoundly unambitious project that still had a high profile failure after remarkably few launches. That's going to be a no from me

ackermann t1_iubebsw wrote

Took Blue 17 years to replicate what SpaceShipOne achieved in 2004! For the X-Prize, SpaceShipOne flew crewed, twice in two weeks reusing the same vehicle!

Actually, it’s also pretty embarrassing that Virgin Galactic also took 17 years to replicate that feat, with just a slightly larger craft!

sevaiper t1_iubel37 wrote

I mean lets not go overboard now, certainly New Shepard is a reasonable and fundamentally sound rocket (though limited in scope and overall somewhat pointless) that is in no way comparable to the clownshow at Virgin Galactic lol

Deyln t1_iug5epm wrote

Spaceship galactic has different design wants. Among other delays.

Blue origin is a fiasco.