Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

FaceWithAName t1_irgfux6 wrote

I'm happy that the nice people at r/space shared us a reddit link that directed us to a Twitter link.

666pool t1_irh5jee wrote

You joke, but this way we get a nice big preview of the image on Twitter, where the original post only shows a thumbnail and then a link to Twitter.

BreastMilkPopsicles t1_irgdwx2 wrote

Is there a reason we still haven't seen any of the juicy stuff from JWST? Like more spectrometry of exo planet atmospheres.... maybe a certain system with 7 exoplanets?

ReturnOfDaSnack420 t1_irh3wt6 wrote

I know I'm on pins and needles wanting to get info on the Trappist system as well. That said apparently data from JWST is proprietary to the research teams for the first twelve months (after that is free to the world) and with something this big no research team will want to jump the gun, so it'll be a while I imagine until we get any news.

Icy-Conclusion-3500 t1_irgjdub wrote

Some things need specific time windows to shoot. Our planet needs to be at a place in its orbit that JWST doesn’t need to face the sun.

WrongPurpose t1_irigrx9 wrote

The Astronomers who request time and observations get a few months exclusive access to that specific data, so they can write their papers about it. I would guess beginning of next year we will start seeing daily releases of pictures and data then taken 6-12 months ago.

danielravennest t1_irj5rb1 wrote

The way science works, they can't release their data until the research articles are published. People involved with JWST from the start of the project have priority this first year of observations

Also, early observations need to be calibrated by looking at known objects. We know how the instruments were designed to perform, but without calibration we don't know how they actually perform. That's one reason some of the early pictures are of Jupiter and other solar system bodies. We know what those look like and how bright they are.

waremi t1_irgiwth wrote

How Meta is this?

I clicked on the title of this post.

Then clicked on the image in that page which took me to another Reddit post.

Then clicked on the image in that post which took me to a twitter thread.

Then clicked on the image in the twitter thread

which finally opened up the picture.

hbar98 t1_irh54mx wrote

Everybody gotta get those clicks in.

kevman_2008 t1_irgo6nc wrote

Link to the actual photo to skip all the redirects

Breezyacorn t1_irgbjwh wrote

I started sobbing when I read the description. The universe is such an incredible place. I feel so, so small.

BruceBanning t1_irh6b4e wrote

This is so sick. FYI, the disc is not actually tapered at the center, it’s just the star shining through.

shindleria t1_irgp39r wrote

Our furthest probe has only travelled a little over half that distance from the Earth.

[deleted] t1_irge6e0 wrote

Not that different from the Hubble image, to be honest.

jondiced t1_irgewuf wrote

The spatial resolution is higher and it's at a different wavelength, so it contains different information.

[deleted] t1_irggpt4 wrote

I know, but I don't really see any additional features in this image. Looks like it's just absorption in both wavelength ranges. I'm sure they can get valuable info about the composition by analyzing the ratio between different wavelength bands, but it still looks qualitatively similar.

IWantAHoverbike t1_irgwz6w wrote

What would it cost to make an absolutely enormous birthday cake, put this photo inside it, and send it off on a solar escape trajectory to arrive there in a few billion years?

danielravennest t1_irj6qtb wrote

We don't know, because of the arrival paradox. If technology is improving, a later mission can travel faster and arrive sooner. So there is no reason to attempt a trip until (1) the trip time is short enough that you won't be overtaken by a faster mission, or (2) technology has reached some limit and isn't improving.

For interstellar trips, neither condition is met right now. For solar system trips, we are working on better propulsion such that any trip over 20 years that started today is likely to be overtaken.

Lo_Gravity_Chill t1_irh29e9 wrote

Awww wook at the wittle baby planetary system! So cute and tiny !

Adding /s since my comment is not actually serious

danielravennest t1_irj72cv wrote

It is five times wider than the orbit of Neptune, the outermost major planet.

ToBeeContinued t1_irgbu1d wrote

Do you think they’ll ever take the name of the guy who purged LGBTQ+ people from NASA off of it?

−14

jondiced t1_irgdcx7 wrote

Yeah lots of astronomers aren't super happy about it. There was a petition that NASA leadership rejected, but maybe one will succeed in the future. At least the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope is diversifying the pool of observatory names a little.

[deleted] t1_irgc386 wrote

[removed]

−15