Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Chadmartigan t1_j27etfe wrote

>Edit...I was under the impression that it was thought at least POSSIBLE to survive INside the event horizon of a large enough BH, hence my question above

You are correct, under certain conditions. You've gotten a lot of categorical answers essentially saying that you'll spaghettify once you hit the event horizon. This is not the case for sufficiently large black holes (say, galactic core black holes). Once you're talking millions of solar masses, you could pass through the event horizon comfortably (and maybe even without knowing it).

The total gravitational forces at the event horizon are indeed enormous, but that doesn't necessarily matter too much for something that's already free-falling into the black hole. What spaghettifies you isn't the total gravitational force, it's the gravitational gradient, i.e., the difference in gravitational force across a given distance. As you get closer and closer to the center of the black hole, the gradient steadily increases, to the point that the force at one end of a macro-sized object (say, an astronaut) is dramatically stronger than the force at the other end. It's that gradient in the gravitational force that squishes things, but where that happens relative to the event horizon is entirely a factor of the black hole's mass. For supermassive black holes, that point lies comfortably within the event horizon. For solar-mass black holes, it can actually begin outside the event horizon.

Now, to get back to your question: if it's possible that something can pass through the event horizon without being instantly crushed, why can't we tie/bolt/weld a camera to something sturdy outside the event horizon and make observations that way? We could chain it to a big rock some arbitrary distance away, but that's not going to do us any good. Remember: once something crosses the event horizon, there's no speed it can travel to get back out, and no energy you can expend to push/pull it out. (And any photons traveling up the wires from the camera likewise don't move fast enough to escape.) So in very short order, either your chain will break or the whole structure will be yanked right into the event horizon.