Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

incarnuim t1_j279p4c wrote

A very very very large black hole (1e999 solar masses - larger than the mass of the universe) would theoretically be large enough that crossing the event horizon would be unnoticeable. The singularity would be several thousand ly away from the EH, so there would be no sheer stresses or tidal forces to speak of.

And yet -- No, you could not dip a cable down across the EH and get any signal. Space and Time coordinates reverse on the other side of the EH, so cable or no cable, a signal can only travel "up the cable" by going backwards in time. Even if the signal could do that, your future self wouldn't be there to receive it, so you can't get any information that way.

You could, however, live a very nice life just inside the EH, on a nice little planet orbiting a sun like star in a quaint dwarf Galaxy spiraling into the singularity over the course of a billion years or so....

piousflea84 t1_j27cnsq wrote

Yeah isn’t there something about how gravitational time dilation reaches infinity at the event horizon? Like going down to the black hole planet in “Interstellar” caused 20 years to elapse within minutes, because it was close to the event horizon.

Going down to the event horizon and coming back up would take an infinite amount of time, which no matter or information can possibly survive. So it does not matter what you do, you can’t get anything back.

Technical_Scallion_2 t1_j27msge wrote

My understanding is that if the black hole is rotating, you can reach the event horizon. It’s only for nonrotating black holes that the time dilation causes everything to keep slowing down and never actually reach the horizon. I’m not a physicist but I was curious about this a while since it seemed like black holes could never grow bigger because nothing could ever get inside, but if they’re spinning they can absorb new matter (I think).

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27a1hh wrote

Right, thank you...everyone thought I was barmy. Now, what would happen in your scenario if you were to try to RETRACT said cable?

B1tVect0r t1_j27bkhs wrote

You would pull up a cable with whatever probes or detectors you had attached to the end sheared off, with no data ever having been received from anything past the event horizon. Whatever signals you received as you approached the event horizon are also probably garbled beyond all comprehension; relativistic effects mean that for every second of time you experienced, the probe experienced orders of magnitude more. My guess would be that the data throughput on the cable would drop with the inverse square of the distance from the probe to the EH until it becomes functionally 0 (assuming you have a magical, radiation- and hot-matter-immune probe)

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27c30p wrote

But there would be no stresses acting on it at the event horizon...or only 'unnoticeable ones' ...

B1tVect0r t1_j27c6ds wrote

What are you drawing that conclusion from?

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27ccyr wrote

Check out cardamoms Post above mine...he said crossing the event horizon (of a very large BH) would be unnoticeable

B1tVect0r t1_j27d52v wrote

Imperceptible to the entity crossing the horizon emphatically does not mean that there are negligible or net zero forces acting on that entity.

If you had two hydrogen atoms separated by the width of the galaxy, they would still gravitationally influence each other.

MethSiller- t1_j27jqan wrote

I’m a little new here but this piqued my interest. Can you give me a quick briefing on why they would influence each other at such a massive distance?

B1tVect0r t1_j27k8fj wrote

Because that's how the math works. The equation that you use to determine gravitational force between two objects has the distance between them squared in the denominator, meaning that no matter how large you make it the value is never 0 (although it may be so infinitesimally small that for all intents and purposes it is nonexistent)

MethSiller- t1_j27klzp wrote

Man… that’s interesting… and thought provoking. Thanks for taking the time to explain.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27dmj6 wrote

That reply sounds like 'we don't know' what stresses might apply here

−5

Mike2220 t1_j27fdzd wrote

The effect of gravity on the object at the other end of the tether would be so strong you'd need an infinite amount of force to pull it out.

You're forgetting that the idea of the event horizon is that even light cannot escape as the effect of gravity is too strong.

If a massless photon does not have the energy to escape, then how could you ever accumulate enough to free something with mass.

s1ngular1ty2 t1_j27dyhg wrote

Your entire line of posts shows you do not understand any of this stuff even remotely and are just spouting jargon you have heard from other people. People have explained it to you, you just don't understand it.

No tether can survive what you describe. You can't pull it back out because gravity is massively strong at the event horizon so you'd have to exert almost an infinite force to pull it back out which would rip the cable.

You are confusing someone floating across the event horizon with pulling something out because you lack the understanding of how forces work and how any of this works.

Floating across the event horizon is NOT THE SAME as pulling something back out.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27e2qr wrote

Thanks man...you have mentioned this once or twice, I think. Dunno why you're still posting it, really...

−9

s1ngular1ty2 t1_j27edxw wrote

Because it's true and you are wrong...

LUL...

rabbid_chaos t1_j27n4vy wrote

Honestly, judging from OPs replies, some of what he's asking would require a black hole to not behave like a black hole, which at that point it wouldn't be a black hole.

angrymonkey t1_j27h362 wrote

> he said crossing the event horizon would be unnoticeable

...To a body that is in freefall.

A body that is suspended over the event horizon would be experiencing atom-crushing acceleration.

Compare to a familiar scenario: If you are freefalling towards the Earth, you can't tell apart your experience from one of floating in interstellar space (ignoring tides, which is what we neglect when we say the black hole is large). If you are standing on the surface of the earth, though, you are experiencing 9.8m/s^2.

Near the surface of the black hole, there would be so much acceleration required to counteract the gravity there that no material could possibly stay intact.

ManInBilly t1_j27cih7 wrote

You would pull the cable, grab the camera, effortlessly. Just to realize right after that you pulled your self onto the event horizon in doing it so.

Or if you were on a spacecraft, keeping a stable orbit using thrusters, then the cable would rip apart as it would be dragged into the black hole.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27ddv7 wrote

My original post specified another large, non-BH body in orbit

ManInBilly t1_j27dsm8 wrote

Same as for the spacecraft with thrusters. Doesn't matter how you keep the stable orbit.

The cable would rip.

PhunkyPhish t1_j27limc wrote

What if you used a theoretical unbreakable cable, and tied a camera onto the other end, tossing that one into a similarly sized blackhole a substantial distance (negligible gravitational effect otherwise) apart?

rabbid_chaos t1_j27mpn9 wrote

If I'm correctly interpreting what you're asking, then the answer is that you would now have two black holes locked into rotation around each other. This will ultimately result in the two black holes falling into each other and you being deleted from existence. Literally gone, reduced to atoms.

incarnuim t1_j27foba wrote

You'd come up empty handed. Yes, weird physics applies here, because, as I said in my original post, you are dealing with a 1e999 solar mass BH. And we are not asking what happens at those energies, we are just applying GR gravity the way God and Albert intended.

Your cable would be sheared, with no shear forces, because your probe is now in the past, or else it is still on the other side of the EH, But YOU are in the future of YOU.

It's a bit like the famous scene from Spaceballs. You are asking, "what happened to then?", And I'm telling you, "You missed it. It's now now. Everything that's happening now, is happening now."

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27fywj wrote

Time would shear it? As you pass the EH there's a significant change, then?

MasterKaein t1_j27iagx wrote

Yeah because the effect of time would be dilated. Think about this. You are driving in a straight line but suddenly your leg gets dilated significantly into the past while the rest of you accelerates into the future.

What do you think will happen to your leg? There's no forces exerting on it because it's the same force, the motion of the car going forward. But yet if the leg was in the past and the rest of you in the future it would be as if it were sheared off because it wouldn't share the same momentum you share due to the shift in its own relative time.

incarnuim t1_j2bqwv2 wrote

The probe wouldn't notice a significant change. In fact it would be really tough for the probe to pinpoint when or even IF it had actually crossed the EH.

But you wouldn't get the probe back, you wouldn't get any signals, and you wouldn't feel any significant change in forces. The probe would just be gone (from your PoV). Meanwhile the probe would think it was still attached and sending back data, but the data never gets there....

FailQuality t1_j277230 wrote

idk why, but it bothers me that you stopped spelling out black hole and event horizon, than switching to BE/EH

Artikay t1_j27cm75 wrote

The other letters fell past the EH.

MethSiller- t1_j27j4us wrote

I was pretty stoned reading this and I’m also new to the subreddit so it took me a second to realize what the abbreviations stood for. Then I thought to myself “am I smart enough for r/space?” Then I felt stupid for even pausing at what the abbreviations stood for once I figured out that it was big hog and elvish hovel.

Needless to say, this comment validated my feelings, but damn do I like this subreddit.

Locha6 t1_j27p7sw wrote

Dude … stop thinking so much and just be

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j2776jd wrote

Ah, guilty as charged

epsdelta74 t1_j27kojm wrote

Suggestion for next time to help the readers: With the first usage include the abbreviation in parentheses, then use the abbreviation.

Example: words... words... "black hole (BH)"... words... words... words... "BH"...

twystoffer t1_j274m0p wrote

Spacetime is warped inside the event horizon so that all vectors point to the center. Any signal attempting to leave would ultimately travel the wrong direction, even if by wire.

Additionally, time dilation would redshift any signal into complete obscurity even if it could leave the event horizon.

Near a stellar black hole, gravitational sheering would sever any cable.

Near a supermassive black hole, things get... weird. From a distance the event horizon seems like a pretty solid line, but the closer you get the harder it is to see exactly where it is as spacetime starts to stretch around you. You might even end up inside the event horizon without even realizing it.

MasterKaein t1_j27ii1d wrote

Now that's a question. If there was a black hole massive enough could your travel into the event horizon be so gentle as to not effect you at all?

twystoffer t1_j27j2yj wrote

That is what is currently suspected of supermassive black holes at the center of galaxies

cashew996 t1_j27lr7r wrote

And once you've "floated" across that horizon, There is no return, (except maybe as a part of the plasma "jets" they emit). I don't think OP is catching the one way only part of this.

cashew996 t1_j27msnk wrote

Also I was thinking about the time dilation portion. My thinking is that the closer the probe gets to the horizon, the longer (from our frame of reference) it takes to move closer, like the last few million miles would take several of our lifetimes to cross before it even reaches the horizon.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j275jnm wrote

I get that a signal couldn't travel back up the cable, assuming it's subject to gravity, I'd be thinking more on board recording inside an incredibly robust casing. Not sure I see the reasoning of wrong direction if attached...surely it could only follow the path of the cable if intact. Gravitational Sheering yes, yes, very strong cable... Weirdness...worth a try?

−1

twystoffer t1_j276ulg wrote

It's not just gravity stopping the signal. All directions in a black hole lead to the center, so the signal wouldn't be able to travel up the cable.

For that matter, the camera itself wouldn't be able to operate, and if it could, spacetime could be so warped that it only sees the back of itself.

Charlemagnea t1_j2775zf wrote

You're still thinking that these things would just basically be forced towards the center of the BH really hard, but that's just not how black holes work. The definition of the event horizon is literally that nothing can escape it once that thing crosses the threshold. It would take infinite energy to winch the capsule back up, if it magically survived (which it wouldn't) and anything inside the capsule would be exposed to such extreme forces the data would be unrecognizable.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j277dip wrote

Yes! Now you're talking...not the infinite energy bit, tho...why?

−1

Charlemagnea t1_j277y9p wrote

You would need the capsule to travel FTL to escape the event horizon, which requires infinite energy.

shibbypants t1_j27mpwc wrote

And FTL travel comes with its own bag of paradoxes.

Also, I have a better understanding of black holes now after reading through some of these comments. This thread was surprisingly fun.

Polynikes82 t1_j27ahzq wrote

It's all explained by Einstein and relativity. It takes an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light. The event horizon theoretically is the point at which light can't escape the dead star and it's gravity. You would need an infinite amount of energy to pass back out of it. There are plenty of good books that you can pick up and read about it friend

Nevermind all the bs comments you are going to get for asking questions. I am proud you aren't asking what the Kardashians are upto this week. Keep thinking. Ask questions. This world needs more of you. ❤️

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27aqlo wrote

I think I would take issue with the word 'explained'...more like 'unleashed'...but thank you.

−1

Polynikes82 t1_j27b6qn wrote

Wtf does that mean? If this turns into a God thing I'm gonna be pissed.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27beg8 wrote

Lol..yeah, he MADE us, you know...no, I meant I don't think relativity EXPLAINS black holes very well/at all

Polynikes82 t1_j27cato wrote

Relativity "unleashed" to us the energy and mass can be converted. Nothing is ever gained or lost. If you burn an egg and collect all the ashes and heat and light and weigh the findings, it would add up to the weight of the egg. If you take enough mass in a relatively small place in space. It will press down (but you have to think in a 3D sense) hard enough that nothing can climb of that hill and get out.

dastardly740 t1_j277nf7 wrote

So, once the object dips below the event horizon there is no forcethat can make any part of the object below the event horizon move "up". I think that might be your confusion, thinking that a cable can somehow apply a force and thus an acceleration that a rocket or other form of propulsion cannot. Yes, in a sufficiently large black hole, the difference in force between the top and bottom of the object might be not be enough to rip it apart, but there is still no force that will allow the object to climb towards the event horizon.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j2780hv wrote

See...maybe I am confused, but the event horizon itself is not anything physical, just an arbitary boundary where inside it requires an escape velocity faster than light...

dastardly740 t1_j279m7j wrote

You are thinking like space elevator where something pulls just a little harder than gravity can make its way up. Basically, if you apply a force of 1.0001g constantly from the earth's surface you move up from the earth's surface. There is no x.000001g that allows any object to move up inside a black hole event horizon.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j279sec wrote

If this were true...hmmm...then ALL black holes would have the same mass?

dastardly740 t1_j27acwa wrote

More massive black holes have larger event horizons.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j278arc wrote

...and of course, this is impossible. But this is from the POV of a rocket or similar, trying to escape the EH from inside, not something with outside connections.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j278e35 wrote

...ie, a space elevator on Earth would not need to travel at escape velocity, right?

−1

Quarkchild t1_j27a49p wrote

You’re under a presumption this fictional cable and camera still exist past the event horizon.

They stop existing physically. They’re gone. And if you’re stationary and not orbiting to be able to lower this in, you’re about to be gone too bro.

Orbiting and lowering this in, it would “spaghettify” perceptually.

Cold_Zero_ t1_j278bhl wrote

Hmmm. Interesting. So, how do particles escape from inside the event horizon, as in black hole shrinking?

dastardly740 t1_j2797vf wrote

They don't. Hawking radiation doesn't come from inside the event horizon. I am trying to paraphrase Matt O'Dowd here, but the short short version as I understand, an event horizon causes certain frequencies in quantum fields to no longer cancel. The effect is that, for an observer far away from the black hole, the black hole emits radiation. The energy comes from the mass of the black hole, I don't think anyone really knows how that happens since we don't really know what a black holexs mass is made of (if anything),

urmomaisjabbathehutt t1_j27ka5n wrote

Just over the event horizon are strong vacuum fluctuations caused by the strong gravitational field around the black hole, those fluctuation generate particule pairs

for pairs generated at the edge of the event horizon for example an electron positron pair one particule will fall back into the black hole but its anti particule will escape because particule and the anti particule are pointing to opposite directions

The energy for this is supplied by the black hole gravitational potential

this result in bh mass loss

Edit, out of curiosity why downvotes?

Quarkchild t1_j279vij wrote

OP I’m not trying to be mean truly but I think you haven’t ever done any of this math ever in physics. It sounds like you’re talking about cool concepts you’ve heard about without diving very far into what they are and the maths behind them. I guess I don’t know how to not sound like an ass. I’m a physics student and have taken astrophysics and cosmology courses. Everything you’re discussing is pure high fantasy science fiction.

jsnswt t1_j27d4eg wrote

While you’re probably right, a big part of what you do is also science fiction because there’s no way to prove stuff, even if the math adds up. Same as you, not trying to be an ass, just supporting the argument that at some point people have to imagine the unthinkable to reach new heights

−1

Nopants21 t1_j27bpz3 wrote

Matter is held together by forces that also get distorted by the black hole. The cable would disintegrate, because the first atoms to reach the event horizon would become disconnected from each other, because even the forces that hold them to the ones above can't travel up to keep the structure together.

And really, even the quarks that make up atoms would get separated. It doesn't matter how robust something is, because it's not like the forces generated by the black hole "press" on the object, anything past the horizon loses all structure down to its quarks, all of it inside and out.

MilesMoralesC-137 t1_j27djiv wrote

Assuming you could find some kind of magically indestructible cable to cross the EH, you would still need an infinite amount of energy to pull back any part of the cable from beyond the EH. Even massless photons of light become stones so heavy even God couldn't lift them

[deleted] t1_j276t8k wrote

[removed]

−13

[deleted] t1_j2771et wrote

[removed]

[deleted] t1_j277bp6 wrote

[removed]

s1ngular1ty2 t1_j273k1z wrote

Because gravity becomes so strong at the event horizon no material could survive the stresses to do what you are saying. It's literally impossible.

LordRobin------RM t1_j27885y wrote

I thought it was tidal forces, not the simple strength of the gravitational field, that destroyed objects as they passed the event horizon. I’ve read several times that you could fall into the event horizon of, say, a supermassive black hole and not feel a thing. The event horizon for a black hole of that size is so far away from the singularity that tidal forces are almost non-existent.

PhobosDown t1_j27b0xy wrote

Exactly right - the more massive the black hole the gentler the tidal forces at the event horizon.

For example, stars can be torn apart by a million solar mass black hole, creating tidal disruption events that have been observed in synoptic surveys. At a billion solar masses though, the black hole swallows stars whole because the tidal forces aren’t strong enough to disrupt the star before it enters the event horizon.

LordRobin------RM t1_j27s8do wrote

Wow, has this been observed?

PhobosDown t1_j29t44q wrote

Tidal disruptions have been, yes. They are also simulated in supercomputers and they were predicted decades before they were observed!

The direct “swallowing” of a star by a billion solar mass black hole has not been observed. One way to think about it is this event would just involve the center of the galaxy decreasing in brightness by 1 star’s worth, whereas a tidal disruption event is like fireworks - a lot of energy gets released and if we happen to have a telescope checking on that galaxy at least every few weeks, we’ll see it.

LordRobin------RM t1_j2c1e4h wrote

Right, now that I take the time to think about it, a “swallowing” wouldn’t look exciting at all, even observed from within the galaxy. The doomed star’s light would just red-shift as it approached until the wavelength was unobservable.

s1ngular1ty2 t1_j27alyq wrote

His entire premise is laughable at best so I'm not going to waste more time explaining why your misconception is also wrong.

−6

sterexx t1_j279ekc wrote

passing the event horizon of a supermassive black hole could be fine. very small tidal forces

getting hit by matter orbiting it could be pretty dangerous though

s1ngular1ty2 t1_j27apb0 wrote

You clearly did not follow what I was saying...

−5

csukoh78 t1_j27bjm2 wrote

This is not true of larger black holes. Only small ones. Larger black holes have EH that allow uneventful passage.

s1ngular1ty2 t1_j27bn9h wrote

Clearly you didn't follow what I said. I'm just going to let you ponder it longer. You may catch up.

−8

csukoh78 t1_j27bzkk wrote

Your comment is wrong and requires revision. Not a lot to think about. No need to be rude. Rudeness and sarcasm are the recourses of a weak mind.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j273rx2 wrote

See, I get what you're saying, but it's theoretically possible, no? Without faster-than-light stuff?

−1

bradland t1_j275s79 wrote

No, it is theoretically impossible. Gravity beyond the event horizon is powerful enough to tear matter apart. As in, literally rip atoms apart. No material, no matter how exotic could ever be used to lower anything into a black hole. It would literally tear anything apart, atom by atom.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j275ymh wrote

OK, how long would this take? If we made the capsule, say 10km wide...give us a few minutes?

bradland t1_j277vup wrote

Infinitesimal fractions of a second. It is difficult to even conceive the forces that occur near a black hole.

Gravity on Earth is 1 g. A black hole with a mass equivalent to our Sun would have a gravitational force of around 1.6 trillion g. A very fast car like a Tesla Model S can accelerate at 1 g. A really fast missile can accelerate at 100 g. The gravity at the event horizon would accelerate every atom in the theoretical 10 km capsule 1.6 trillion times faster than a Tesla Model S, and hundreds of billions of times faster than the fastest rocket you can imagine.

The reality is that no capsule we could ever hope to construct would survive even approaching the event horizon, much less passing it and returning. No matter in the entire universe could survive it.

stalagtits t1_j27dc4f wrote

Pure acceleration by a black hole (or any other massive body), with no strong tidal forces present (as in a supermassive black hole), would be completely unnoticeable by the passenger of a capsule falling towards a black hole. Every atom in the capsule would experience the exact same acceleration, so there would be no net forces within the capsule.

TheSortingHate t1_j2775lb wrote

You may be misunderstanding how the breakdown happens. Gravity isn’t pulling it apart from the outside-in. It’s ripping it all apart simultaneously. Making it bigger changes nothing on the time it takes to break apart. In fact, it probably would just break faster.

ExtonGuy t1_j276v1m wrote

A few minutes for what? Once the capsule, or cable (or any part of them), crosses the EH, it disappears to the external universe. No electron, photon, proton, quark, etc can go from the inside to the outside.

Baring some really weird Hawking radiation concepts, which take trillions of years to get any information out from a reasonable size BH.

stanksnax t1_j274x8e wrote

If by theoretically you mean completely ignoring several basic principles of the very nature of space time, relativity, gravity and engineering then yes, it's possible.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27512w wrote

You only mentioned material stresses in 1st reply...

−4

borange01 t1_j275c88 wrote

He wasn't the one that posted the first reply

hex00110 t1_j274u5i wrote

I think not possible , as the gravity would literally pull the atoms apart of whatever material you extend into and beyond the EH

archlich t1_j279rgb wrote

Gravity overcomes the EM field which propagates at the speed of light that holds molecules together. It is literally impossible to create a tether that would survive.

codeledger t1_j27df0c wrote

This thread makes me recommend watching PBS Space Time on Youtube episodes on Black Holes: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsPUh22kYmNBl4h0i4mI5zDflExXJMo_x&feature=shares

especially the one on Events in Black Holes: https://youtube.com/watch?v=vNaEBbFbvcY&feature=shares

then What Happens at the Event Horizon?: https://youtube.com/watch?v=mht-1c4wc0Q&feature=shares

and then the Escape the Kugelblitz Challenge: https://youtube.com/watch?v=v3hd3AI2CAA&feature=shares

Chadmartigan t1_j27etfe wrote

>Edit...I was under the impression that it was thought at least POSSIBLE to survive INside the event horizon of a large enough BH, hence my question above

You are correct, under certain conditions. You've gotten a lot of categorical answers essentially saying that you'll spaghettify once you hit the event horizon. This is not the case for sufficiently large black holes (say, galactic core black holes). Once you're talking millions of solar masses, you could pass through the event horizon comfortably (and maybe even without knowing it).

The total gravitational forces at the event horizon are indeed enormous, but that doesn't necessarily matter too much for something that's already free-falling into the black hole. What spaghettifies you isn't the total gravitational force, it's the gravitational gradient, i.e., the difference in gravitational force across a given distance. As you get closer and closer to the center of the black hole, the gradient steadily increases, to the point that the force at one end of a macro-sized object (say, an astronaut) is dramatically stronger than the force at the other end. It's that gradient in the gravitational force that squishes things, but where that happens relative to the event horizon is entirely a factor of the black hole's mass. For supermassive black holes, that point lies comfortably within the event horizon. For solar-mass black holes, it can actually begin outside the event horizon.

Now, to get back to your question: if it's possible that something can pass through the event horizon without being instantly crushed, why can't we tie/bolt/weld a camera to something sturdy outside the event horizon and make observations that way? We could chain it to a big rock some arbitrary distance away, but that's not going to do us any good. Remember: once something crosses the event horizon, there's no speed it can travel to get back out, and no energy you can expend to push/pull it out. (And any photons traveling up the wires from the camera likewise don't move fast enough to escape.) So in very short order, either your chain will break or the whole structure will be yanked right into the event horizon.

senormonje t1_j278ngf wrote

Your question got me thinking: nothing can escape from inside the event horizon, but what if we suddenly deform the event horizon so that something slightly inside is no longer inside it? If you have a second black hole moving at relativistic speed tangent to the event horizon (or two black holes orbiting each other very rapidly) could the event horizon be deformed so that a signaling device that was slightly inside the EH send out a pulse of very redshifted light?

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27902x wrote

Presumably the event horizon would drag everything with it as it 'moved' is the pessimistic answer everyone fucking loves

PhobosDown t1_j27c8hd wrote

Yep. The people who run relativistic simulations of black hole mergers check whether there’s any point at all where a bit of information that was once inside one event horizon can escape, and the answer so far has been no. It’s a good question though and we weren’t super sure until we checked.

WittyUnwittingly t1_j27dpjt wrote

Well I think the issue is that the event horizon is not a thing to be moved or deformed. You can deform spacetime, which necessarily deforms your event horizon, but everything else (the origin of your pulse, for example) is also sitting at a specific point in spacetime, which is now deformed.

But also, from the perspective of "the inside" of the event horizon, there would be no direction you could choose that would take you out. It's less about something really strong pulling you backward, and more like reality itself has warped to the point of isolating you from the outside universe. What direction do you point your signaling device, when no direction is "outward?"

senormonje t1_j28rk2l wrote

Strange. In that case does being inside the event horizon isolate a given piece of matter (prior to becoming part of the singularity) from outside gravitational influences, no matter how strong... even another black hole? Is this because of the propagation speed of gravity?

WittyUnwittingly t1_j29rhr0 wrote

As far as I know, everything, once it crosses the event horizon, is causally disconnected from the exterior. (I. E. There is nothing you can do from the outside, that will affect the inside)

I don't think any special physics are required to explain this other than general relativity. Any changes you make to a black hole cannot fully manifest until the end of the universe. So I guess you COULD gravitationally distort an event horizon, but from the perspective of someone inside, the distortion happens at the same time as everything else (which is all happening at once) at the end of the universe.

Charlemagnea t1_j288ipc wrote

I'm sorry science doesn't love supporting your feelings over actually being right

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j28iu2u wrote

I'm with you on that, but this was only a conversation about hypothetical possibilities on something we don't understand, not something I've got my heart set on.

Fallacy_Spotted t1_j279xod wrote

At the atomic level things are held together with the electromagnetic force. This force is mediated with photons. The gravity at the event horizon is so strong that photons cannot move away from the singularity. This means that it is not possible to pull anything out because those bonds cannot exist without photons bouncing between them.

Quarkchild t1_j27948l wrote

This would be absolutely impossible. Like, completely.

WittyUnwittingly t1_j27biy5 wrote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the statement "gravity is so strong that nothing can escape" encapsulates a lot more physical ramifications than just a really strong "pull force" coming from the center of the black hole. Defeating gravitational stress in itself is mostly meaningless, because there are other mechanisms keeping you inside a black hole.

Spacetime becomes curved to the point where there is no path out of the black hole. You could be alive and your spacecraft be perfectly functional, any direction you choose will only take you around the inside of the event horizon, even if you could go faster than the speed of light.

Also remember, from a relativity standpoint, objects at the event horizon have stopped in time. I'm not sure this is perfectly correct, but from the perspective of an outside observer, your "pendulum tether" would only ever asymptotically approach the event horizon - there would never be an "upswing" with which you could pull anything out. So yes, if you could pull a wire out, you could have the information at the end of it, but you can't pull it out, so no universal secrets for you.

Now, the craziest part is that those last two paragraphs are two different ways of saying the same thing. Even weirder, we also already know of a mechanism by which energy can escape a black hole: quantum tunneling (see: Hawking Radiation). We just need to invent a method of information transfer via quantum tunneling, and then we could have someone transmit the information back out to us from just "inside" the event horizon. There are other problems with this, like: when would you expect to receive a return signal from an observer that has crossed the event horizon?

Current BH research suggests that you can recover all of the information about what has fallen into a black hole by looking at the "soft hair," which are the spacetime traces of the objects that have stopped in time at the event horizon - you don't even need any fancy camera on a wire.

Fallacy_Spotted t1_j27ddpa wrote

A couple of points. The faster you go in any direction the faster you reach the singularity. If you were able to accelerate faster than light then you would just reach the singularity that much faster. Secondly, Hawking Raditation is not caused by quantum tunneling. It is generated when a particle pair spontaneously emerges from the background quantum fields. In this case one of the two resulting particles falls into the blackhole while the other is flung away as Hawking Radiation. This particle leaches some of the energy from the black hole.

WittyUnwittingly t1_j27ffpk wrote

I don't claim to be an authority on relativistic physics, so I may be making some incorrect assumptions here, but being "able to reach the singularity that much faster" only applies to the perspective of the person doing the accelerating. From our perspective (outside of the black hole), all of the material that "falls in" to a black hole builds upon itself infinitely AT the event horizon. So sure, your camera could accerlate towards the singularity and reach it really fast, but that's not an outcome that you would be able to observe from any other reference frame - it would never get there. We're in agreement about what would happen from the perspective of the object doing the accelerating.

If Hawking Radiation was as simplistic as you described, how would it cause your BH to lose mass? (You use the term "leaches" - I don't think that's a real science word) As far as I know, mainstream science agrees that Hawking Radiation is a tunneling process. (Source: https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9907001, https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.85.5042)

Fallacy_Spotted t1_j27nfra wrote

It is a simplified explaination. Mass is energy and the escaping particle has the same mass as the particle that fell in plus the energy used to escape. The only place this energy can come from is the blackhole itself. It is not strictly correct in all aspects but it is close. If you want something deeper I recommend this video from PBS spacetime. They even briefly mention that paper near the end. The whole channel is golden.

LiCHtsLiCH t1_j27eogq wrote

Listen I'm hearing Interstellar... Cameras, Event Horizons, Black Holes... It's nutzo. Why not talk about white holes, yeah, suns. The surface of a sun is LESS dramatic than a Black Hole, lots of gravity, lots more energy, and you are just gonna stick a camera in and pull it out, because the Event Horizion is ............

Anyway, all I'm saying is it IS easier to dip a camera into a sun, THAN a Black Hole.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27esu1 wrote

Uh...I was assuming we're fairly confident of what happens inside the sun...

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27evb1 wrote

It's why I posted about Black Holes...

LiCHtsLiCH t1_j27gs89 wrote

Right on, we have no idea, we also have no idea what is going on in the center of the Earth. We also know almost nothing about the brain, but, we change thousand year weather patterns on accident, lol, that we know.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27h533 wrote

At a guess, I think we know most abt the centre of the Earth, yes weather and the brain are too complex...your point being?

LiCHtsLiCH t1_j27mf9l wrote

My point, yeah suns are easier than black holes, we don't know what's going on with these things really, we dont know whats going on with the earths core (or any planets) we cant really make sense of poles, like North and South poles, those regions of axis, are f'n strank, and to me, it's wierd you think WE do. We don't.

Impossible_Pop620 OP t1_j27n0jk wrote

At no point did I say I thought anyone fully understood any of these things

LiCHtsLiCH t1_j27phgx wrote

Cool, bro. I'm just a little jaded by Reddit these days. I mean we know some things about the Earth's core it's just wierd its still so hot. Also, it's density, it's almost like a gold lubricated iron convextion, that's more like a sun than a planet, has most of the gold and water in the solar system, and a magnetosphere thats even more astounding (than having 90% of a solar systems gold in one place, (might be the reason)). If thats not amazing enough, we have bugs, animals, people cars video games flat screen TV's Mario... It's f'n crazy sauce down here, just nutzo, and people think we know how it happened on accident... lolz - we dont

EDiT: The question is "if you could, would you"

Nathaniel5234 t1_j27fl7i wrote

You, or the cable, or camera could cross the event horizon, but could never escape it. Just as we all inevitably move forward in time, you would inevitably move towards the singularity.

nyg8 t1_j27kruo wrote

I think the part that is confusing you OP, is that there are many reasons why this is impossible First reason - Requires infinite energy- since there's mass beyond the event horizon, you have to pull it back against the pull of the black hole, hence infinitely hard by definition of event horizon

Inside black hole you cant send a signal - again, requires FTL travel and also black hole geometry is not like on earth. In fact, the points are discontinuous, so past the event horizon, everything points towards the center.

RoninXander t1_j27nnsr wrote

No, once you are inside the event horizon any "direction" of force only brings you closer to the singularity. The winch would eventually break.

SpartanJack17 t1_j27osvp wrote

Hello u/Impossible_Pop620, your submission "Black hole question" has been removed from r/space because:

• Such questions should be asked in the "All space questions" thread stickied at the top of the sub.

Please read the rules in the sidebar and check r/space for duplicate submissions before posting. If you have any questions about this removal please message the r/space moderators. Thank you.

Hawk_in_Tahoe t1_j27jv5w wrote

Light is nearly pure energy with no mass.

Your theoretical cable has near zero energy and is almost entirely mass.

Black holes (collections of mass) pull on mass much more than energy.

Your cable would be pulled apart - ie spaghettified - long, long before it reached an event horizon, given an event horizon is the point where even a massless particle like light can’t escape.

Kear_Bear_3747 t1_j27ku89 wrote

Your premise is garbage.

You can’t get anywhere near an event horizon and survive because of the crushing gravity and high energy particles that orbit Black Holes.

You also cannot put something on a line and pull it back from the Event Horizon because Gravity is too strong, which is why there’s an Event Horizon in the first place; that is the point from which nothing macroscopic can return.

If you tried this the line would just get sucked into the Black Hole and whatever it’s attached to would get ripped from its foundations and also sucked into the Black Hole.

Locha6 t1_j27osym wrote

Escape velocity being irrelevant? At what point does the sheer energy needed to “winch” said camera out of the black hole’s event horizon become irrelevant? The amount of energy needed to complete said task would probably amount to more energy than humans are capable of producing on a global scale.

I get the thought “why hasn’t anyone else thought of this?” But that thought is almost always coincided with complete lack of education on the subject matter.

Willbilly1221 t1_j27s6rq wrote

Even if you could move another super massive black hole next to another super massive black hole close enough to distort the gravity well of the event horizon, to drop a tethered camera into the event horizon, you would have distorted where in space the event horizon actually is, and would need to go deeper. If you could properly suspend a ship(with out it tearing itself apart in such an extreme environment) between 2 black holes, and carefully navigate both their orbits, (as they too are moving objects)hang a long enough tether that is lets say more indestructible than the fictional adimantium, with a camera on end, and casually dipped it in for a look see beyond the event horizon. #1 it would start off so incredibly bright it would blind a camera, let alone a human eyeball. You gotta think it is absorbing so much material and splitting and fusing atoms together not to mention not letting light( photons which have zero mass) escape its gravity well to a point it creates an event horizon in the first place. All those photons are just as trapped as physical material that does have mass. It would be brighter than taking a human eyeball into the core of the sun where fusion acts. Billions of years of photons cascading inside never to leave would be the most brightest thing beyond your imagination. #2 Lets say we made our camera indestructible. After you proceeded down past the outer layer, i would imagine it to be like any star, the mass of material begins to coalesce into liquids and then solids and fusion continues on the inner layers until you reach the core, at which point the stupendously bright light and speed of which material almost nearly falls at 0.95% the speed of light and is evacuated again at 100% speed of light, the gear shifts in material exchange would boggle ones mind to the point that one couldn’t fathom the idea. But basically to peer through the event horizon of a black hole would be like looking at any other star. Granted that star is a million times the mass of our solar sun or more, but yeah. It would just be another star.

And that my friends is how you write a kurzgesagt video

Goldn_1 t1_j27ct9q wrote

Firstly, we have to imagine the physical forces at work in a BH somehow don't disallow this operation from coming even close to it's desired objectives (This camera, its tether, and everything else is somehow immune to the erasure it would surely suffer anywhere close to the vicinity of a BH).

Now that we have evaded that seemingly absolute objectively guaranteed outcome, we can view the event horizon and beyond it on our cameras feed. What exactly would you be expecting to see? It would almost assuredly not be something valuable to us as visual data. It would not be representative of anything. Light and matter within a singularity... Our minds cannot compute, and there likely isn't anything to compute.

I think the mystery of it all lets us run wild where we normally find rigid knowledge reminding us of how things ARE and MUST be. But despite its complexity and some unknowns, the likelihood of an EH being the gateway to something interesting like an inverted reflective Universe or something, it is almost nil. The theory of Wormholes to me is much more interesting and plausible. And if they do exist, despite our personal inability to probably ever utilize them or exploit them, the actual physics at play may represent something that is actually something right out of science-fiction. They do probably end up somewhere. That is cray-cray!

Btw no worries on your original misconception. It is always good to wonder and ask questions. Make everyone else think, because we are getting way to used to not doing so in todays world.

−1