Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

diddyzig t1_j1212ut wrote

From the article "A preliminary inspection with a robotic arm confirmed the leak shortly after it began on Thursday, with a follow-up inspection, performed earlier today, now confirming the hole, which may have been caused by a micrometeorite or a tiny piece of space junk."

I bet this type of thing is going to get a lot more common

SpaceCaboose t1_j13m8u2 wrote

Crazy! It’s a good thing the micrometeorite wasn’t in a slightly different spot and hit a main area of the actual ISS

daBarron t1_j13rvuk wrote

There is a fair bit of kevlar protection around a lot of the iss, probably getting hit occasionally and nobody notices.

The space shuttle got a chip of paint embedded in the windscreen but was ok.

TheGoldenHand t1_j150iw9 wrote

The outside the of the space station has a number of bb sized craters on it.

restform t1_j15te87 wrote

And when it's not you just plug the hole with your finger and tell your buddy to get the duct tape, no biggie.

[deleted] t1_j15u64g wrote

I mean, if the hole is smaller than half an inch in diameter, fixing it with duct tape would work just fine. It is only 14 psi after all.

restform t1_j166pp5 wrote

I wasn't being sarcastic, it's pretty much what they did with the previous soyuz leak. Not duct tape of course but not far off

Familiar_Raisin204 t1_j13s757 wrote

The ISS uses a Whipple shield so it's pretty well protected

SpaceCaboose t1_j14bw32 wrote

Makes sense they’d have something like that. I’d just never really considered it.

Thanks for the info!

HiFiGuy197 t1_j16rz5z wrote

Didn’t read the article…

Mr. Whipple? Is it full of Charmin?

danteheehaw t1_j13hiow wrote

Yeah, micro meteorites have been crossing into our open orbit.

MandalorianAhazi t1_j168fw0 wrote

I’d be terrified to be anywhere in space around Earth. Can you imagine a random piece of wired or whatever absolutely shredding your body

Starrion t1_j15u1ke wrote

The hole was vaguely starlink shaped....

Strangeronthebus2019 t1_j17jffa wrote

>From the article "A preliminary inspection with a robotic arm confirmed the leak shortly after it began on Thursday, with a follow-up inspection, performed earlier today, now confirming the hole, which may have been caused by a micrometeorite or a tiny piece of space junk."

>I bet this type of thing is going to get a lot more common

☝️"From the article"

It’s not yet clear if the MS-22 is toast, but there is some cause for concern. As the Associated Press reports, the temperature inside the capsule’s crew section rose to 86 degrees Fahrenheit (30 degrees Celsius) as a result of the leak,

Mob Psycho 100 III - Opening 4K

Check the timestamp...

#0:53 👽 "observe Mobs Eyes"

John 8:23

New Living Translation

Jesus continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You belong to this world; I do not.

Russia 🇷🇺 please leave Ukraine 🇺🇦....

Humanity you are not alone in the Universe 👽🛸

I AM Mob 🔴🔵

I am that I am

Why do you think I am actively encouraging humanity to explore space?

"To get some perspective"

garry4321 t1_j15crb4 wrote

One really bad hit and it turns into a cascading clusterfuck of debris that keeps us out of space for decades.

−1

PhoenixReborn t1_j15e3cd wrote

You're talking about a Gravity situation where the ISS is destroyed? Wouldn't the debris deorbit and burn up relatively quickly? They need a periodic boost to stay in orbit.

garry4321 t1_j15gmax wrote

There are different orbit levels in space. Higher orbits can stay there for hundreds to thousands of years, with lower orbits needing frequent boosts due to the small amount of atmospheric drag left. Lots, if not most of our satellites are in the higher orbits to reduce fuel needs. These orbits allow space junk to be deadly for a long time.

The thing is, there are also elliptical orbits which cause debris to be in a high orbit for most of its life, but then dip into the lower orbit for a period of time. Not only can these stay in orbit much longer, but they can hit the lower objects that need boosting like the ISS, thus being a danger to everything.

Once you have shit start exploding in all different directions, you get all kinds of orbits many of which will be destructive for many many years. Some of the debris will return to earth, but there is already enough right now just orbiting for years and years that we have to track. Not great.

legomann97 t1_j15gqsk wrote

Yeah, eventually. But until then many of our satellites would be trashed, billions upon billions of dollars in damages, if not trillions, and LEO is a horrible mess for probably 5 years in the best case, multiple decades at worst.

I don't think it's the end of the world though, because higher up orbits are fine and much harder to Kessler up. We could probably still fly through the cloud of debris with a reasonable chance of success if we spend a small enough amount of time in LEO - space is big - and make a place in MEO to do space stuff again

Nethri t1_j15emje wrote

It's called the Kessler effect I think. It's basically the theory of a cascade of debris originating from one large collision.

RonPMexico t1_j13rag0 wrote

You mean the gallons of fluid spewing from the ship wasn't a strong indicator of a leak?

Kingshabaz t1_j158oz2 wrote

They knew there was a leak but didn't know it was due to a hole in the spacecraft due to a collision with a small piece of space debris or micrometeorite. It could have been a bad seal on that structure or a failure of a pump. The new information is the cause of the leak, not that there was a leak.

RonPMexico t1_j1597x4 wrote

All we know for sure is there's a hole.

Starrion t1_j15un9z wrote

in the Soyuz, Dear Yuri,
a hole in the Soyuz, Dear Yuri,

A hole.

readball t1_j13369p wrote

I know this is not something that is probably ever going to be identified, but it would be a fun topic if they found out that the debris causing this was from the 2021 nov 15 ASAT action by Russia :)

apworker37 t1_j13b171 wrote

It would be something. But then I should think there would be a debris field and not just a small pebble going really fast.

smoke-frog t1_j13dmd1 wrote

The debris from disintegration is not gravitationally bound, and will spread over huge distances with time.

BrevityIsTheSoul t1_j13lgki wrote

Space is however really, really big. As the debris field spreads out the debris density drops rapidly.

3PercentMoreInfinite t1_j13nei5 wrote

Also the debris at the altitude of ISS will fall back to earth relatively quickly. Russia isn’t the first to blow up a satellite in orbit.

hackingdreams t1_j15h837 wrote

Large debris will take a couple of years to deorbit.

Debris that small will be in orbit for hundreds of years because they have almost no surface area for which to feel a drag force against - it's almost purely a function of the microgravity at that point.

Other ASAT tests were done at lower orbits on satellites already decaying for the most part.

Sargent_Sarkasmo t1_j13s74q wrote

But the debris are concentrated in low Earth orbit...

BrevityIsTheSoul t1_j13z1uy wrote

The volume of the LEO zone is larger than the volume of the Earth.

miniperez87 t1_j149brd wrote

Wow this is fascinating. What are the numbers?? Genuinely curious

3PercentMoreInfinite t1_j14d96e wrote

The surface area of the zone that the ISS orbits would be 223,023,973 miles².

But you have to remember that all orbits will cross paths twice if they are the same altitude. That doesn’t mean that they will both be in that same spot at the same time though. To be in the same orbit they would have to be going the same speed, so in that case they would never collide if they didn’t collide on the first trip around. It would have to be debris that were pulled closer from a higher orbit by gravity. Still, a very slim chance given how large that area actually is.

BrevityIsTheSoul t1_j14f9lc wrote

The sphere including all of LEO and the Earth is over 2.4 trillion cubic km. Earth is a smidge over 1 trillion cubic km. Subtract the volume of the Earth and you have 1.4 trillion cubic km left for the 100km below the Karman Line and 1900km above it.

Sargent_Sarkasmo t1_j148u60 wrote

And still we have managed to make it a way more dangerous place the the asteroid belt.

hackingdreams t1_j15guup wrote

And all it takes is a fleck of paint less than 0.5mm to make that hole.

This is why you don't shoot satellites in the orbit of other satellites. Space might be big, but with nearly no drag things do not spread out very much, and even the teensiest tiniest pieces can do tremendous damage if they hit just right.

v3ritas1989 t1_j13cecu wrote

at least this time no one used a screwdriver to make the hole!

shadeandclouds t1_j14dr7b wrote

That happened before?

ForgiLaGeord t1_j14jynk wrote

Russia said it did. All evidence pointed to bad quality control at the Russian factory that made it, they blamed it on a female US astronaut like having hysteria or something and sabotaging it with a drill.

AllMyFrendsArePixels t1_j12sapi wrote

They needed to do a leak inspection huh. I dunno man, I coulda told ya there was a hole in it right about when it started spitting coolant out.

Xaxxon t1_j15gdw2 wrote

A fitting coming loose or something isn't a hole but was a possibility for why it was leaking.

nanoatzin t1_j1362cu wrote

Probably debris from the satellite Russia blew up with a missile a while back.

Kirra_Tarren t1_j13edj6 wrote

Possibly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosmos_1408

Incredibly fucking stupid, targeting a 490x465km 83° satellite for an ASAT test. Carelessly risking the lives of every astronaut, cosmonaut and taikonaut in space for years to come.

stemandall t1_j16rlqf wrote

Not really a test if they actually blew a satellite up and created a debris cloud.

tjeulink t1_j15nxig wrote

highly unlikely. there's an insane amount of space debris of that size. would be like finding a pin in a thousand haystacks.

spoollyger t1_j139h3i wrote

So many holes in these Russian capsules lately

learner1314 t1_j13rhvj wrote

What happens if one of these micrometeorites / space debris hits the space station? Do they have pre-warning tools for evasionionary measures? Do they have tools to repair damage? Do they have procedures to abandon ship if shit turns south in short order? Have any of these ever hit the ISS? How "small" is small enough to cause a damage to the ISS or spacecrafts in general?

danielravennest t1_j14r8tc wrote

Micrometeorites and small debris have hit the ISS. But the critical parts are protected by standoff Whipple shields. For large debris, which can be tracked from the ground, the Station dodges if it would come too close.

At the speed things move in space, all materials turn to plasma on impact. It disperses over a wide area, and doesn't penetrate your pressure hull or other critical part.

The solar arrays are very large, and have been hit several times. But they are also very thin. So an impact just punches a small hole, and you lose one or two solar cells out of thousands.

For small holes they have patches and tape.

The abandon ship procedure it climb into the Soyuz and Dragon capsules and leave. Unfortunately the Soyuz is the thing that got hit.

Tiny particles make tiny craters. The blue rectangles are individual solar cells from Hubble's original panels, which got replaced by newer ones on a servicing mission. Bigger objects make correspondingly bigger craters. Big enough to cause serious damage depends what you are hitting.

Pharisaeus t1_j15p78a wrote

1. Large pieces are tracked and ISS does "debris avoidance manoeuvre" every few months
  2. Modules are designed with whipple shields and kevlar blankets to absorb small hyper-velocity impacts
  3. Modules can be sealed-off
  4. In case of emergency crew is supposed to immediately evacuate

I_think_Im_hollow t1_j13dhlv wrote

I can't believe the coolant is coming out of an actual hole!

whsftbldad t1_j13chqr wrote

So another hole in another Russian spacecraft. Seriously, what are the odds

Kikutwo t1_j13rkuh wrote

May have had to do with all the venting into space that was happening. Just a hunch.

RobDickinson t1_j12cb0q wrote

Those crazy drunk American astronauts will stop at nothing

CatsRinternet t1_j13gyag wrote

Bet you N Korea launches a ballistic missile into the ocean because of this…

noxii3101 t1_j14ov9j wrote

At this point, partnering with Russia in space exploration is becoming a liability.

DukeOfWestborough t1_j15f6no wrote

they are trying to intentionally destabilize & destroy the ISS (the Russians, yes). Second time in a month they attached a misbehaving craft to the ISS

CannaCosmonaut t1_j16gdhw wrote

Never give credit to malevolence that's due to incompetence.

tjeulink t1_j15o16h wrote

how would russians create an artificial micrometeorite impact? and why would that be in their interest at all? russia doesn't just do things to be evil, they have to gain some perceived advantage by doing it.

TIRedemptionIT t1_j15lqt3 wrote

Anyone wanna bet Russia will throw blame at the US?

HappyHighwayman t1_j16cine wrote

I for one am shocked that Russian made stuff might not work well

nobody-u-heard-of t1_j16cmnj wrote

I can't wait for Putin just once again claim that we drilled a hole in the space station.

lightscameraaction25 t1_j16nw9y wrote

Do they not have their repair tampons to plug up the hole?

darthatheos OP t1_j16p9ip wrote

Got to use them for wound care on the battlefield.

bignoseduglyguy t1_j16w6k2 wrote

Ha, just did a double take because I have been re-watching 'The West Wing' and watched 'Things Fall Apart' (S6 / E21) last night, which has a storyline in which ISS has a leak. Life imitating art...

RoyalJelly710 t1_j13sqy8 wrote

The title made the Russian astronauts sound like the worst space roommates ever

keepcrazy t1_j135evh wrote

So… when they inspected the leak, they found it to be leaking??? Shocking!!!

−4

SpaceCaboose t1_j13m4bz wrote

They were trying to identify what caused the leak, not confirm that the leak was actually a leak…

speed7 t1_j127qxa wrote

I’m just here to see all the Russia apologists tell us how reliable the Soyuz is and how the Russian aerospace industry is totally not in decline.

−13

gulgin t1_j12dejy wrote

I mean, I am not a Russia apologist, but space junk impacts are pretty random. I don’t think any other spacecraft are particularly well hardened to impacts like this and it seems to me just a random incident of bad luck. I am not an expert though, maybe US craft are hardened?

toodroot t1_j12k7ke wrote

Starliner and Dragon both had more than a year of delay while arguing with NASA about MMOD (micrometeoroid and orbital debris). Which is what we're talking about.

WilliamMorris420 t1_j12xs02 wrote

They had a hole in one spacecraft, as it got damaged during construction and somebody just put a patch on it.

It could have been caused by a micro-meteorite or it could just be Russian build quality.

tjeulink t1_j15obyn wrote

they literally patch the ISS with ducktape over pressure leaks in the hull. thats standard. not saying the repair isn't out of spec, but sometimes weird repairs are perfectly fine even though you would think it isn't.

WilliamMorris420 t1_j19hoti wrote

But at least everybody knows about "funny" repairs and can keep an eye on it and do a proper repair later on. When mission control sends up a new repair kit.

pinkheartpiper t1_j12fka8 wrote

They say it might have been space junk or micrometeoroid, even JWST was hit by a micrometeoroid.

himmelstrider t1_j12geev wrote

I came here to see someone pushing an agenda and using a random, non-tech related event to assert a political opinion.

Hey-yo!

Nulovka t1_j12ybkz wrote

Number of cosmonauts killed going to/from/or in space in a Soyuz: 4 (Soyuz 1, Soyuz 11)

Number of astronauts killed going to/from/or in space in a Space Shuttle: 14 (Columbia, Challenger).

−2

Blakut t1_j138jfv wrote

Number of cosmonauts who flew with Soyuz, a single use spacecraft: 100

Number of astronauts who flew on the six shuttles that were reused: 355

stony1185 t1_j13cs1k wrote

Idk about shuttel starts but i think there are a little over 150 maned soyuz flights so the 100 occupants seems a little low for a two to three person crew...

But even the shuttles number seem a little low because there are over 130 launches with crews up to 8...

bookers555 t1_j139d3z wrote

Blame congress, not engineering, the Space Shuttle we got is completely different from what NASA envisioned of just having a small, reusable space "taxi" to let people come and go from space stations, not the big, clunky, ultra expensive behemoth it ended up being.

It's a miracle that thing only blew up twice.

Not that I'm saying the Soyuz is unreliable if it is true it was just a micrometeorite.