Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

beef-o-lipso t1_j279pzw wrote

Bright object moving across the sky faster, than a plane AND

not blinking, satellite

blinking, aircraft.

If doing the hokey-pokey, Aliens with a sense of silliness.

Responsible_Ad_3532 OP t1_j27a79a wrote

Was not blinking and was pretty big- could be a meteroite?

−1

jobblejosh t1_j27an32 wrote

A meteorite is the same as a shooting star. If you don't think it's a shooting star (which is fast moving, one colour, and with a short duration) then it also won't be a meteorite.

Responsible_Ad_3532 OP t1_j27babg wrote

Thanks pep, it was so amazing haha me and my brother couldn't speak for a bit

BuffaloInCahoots t1_j27cwbl wrote

I saw something similar years ago, commented above. Could you see the fireball and did it leave a smoke trail? My friend and I did the same as you two. It was impossible to not notice it because it lit the whole sky up and we just stood there speechless for a min.

Responsible_Ad_3532 OP t1_j27d3t9 wrote

No smoke trail but pretty dope still,

BuffaloInCahoots t1_j27dyy3 wrote

Yeah stuff like that is always cool to see. Not sure how rare it is but I spend more time outdoors than most and I’ve only seen it once. If you haven’t seen the iss already look it up and find out when you can. Weird being able to see it and know there’s people up there.

BuffaloInCahoots t1_j27cdkd wrote

What is it if it has more than one color? One time out camping I saw a what we called a meteorite. It left a smoke trail as it was burning up and it changed colors a couple times. Never hit though, we were high up a mountain and watched it break apart. One of the coolest things I ever saw, almost made it look like daytime out.

Responsible_Ad_3532 OP t1_j27cf43 wrote

One big white spot of light moving like a shooting star very slowly

Flying_Along t1_j27eqfk wrote

ISS has my vote too. It’s pretty spectacular seeing it for the first time.

Mimi-Shella t1_j27d5w9 wrote

For reference not all meteors are one color. It depends on their composition

Responsible_Ad_3532 OP t1_j27b5yy wrote

So just a very big and close meteroite

jobblejosh t1_j27buug wrote

No.

Meteorites have certain characteristics. If it doesn't fit those characteristics, it probably isn't a meteorite, no matter how close or big it is.

Did it have any colours on it? Was it just one point of light, or was it a cluster?

beef-o-lipso t1_j28o77m wrote

Meteors tend to flame out in less than a second or two and they fade in fast and wink out. Seemed like your description was a fastish moving object for a long while. If it was really bright, could have been the ISS. That will be the brightest thing in the sky and moves across in 1 to 5 minutes, usually.

otter111a t1_j27d4c4 wrote

I saw a very large shooting star once. It moved much slower than small shooting stars

free_sex_advice t1_j27fneg wrote

So, go to https://heavens-above.com/main.aspx

Use their tools to set your viewing location and then click on "Daily Predictons for Brighter Satellites" - look down the table to right around the time that you saw this thing. Look for something where the brightness number is small or even negative. ISS often goes over with a brightness like -1. You get to find out what you saw, if it was a satellite.

space-ModTeam t1_j287ibu wrote

Hello u/Responsible_Ad_3532, your submission "Shooting Start or???" has been removed from r/space because:

• Such questions should be asked in the "All space questions" thread stickied at the top of the sub.

Please read the rules in the sidebar and check r/space for duplicate submissions before posting. If you have any questions about this removal please message the r/space moderators. Thank you.

414A44 t1_j286w4j wrote

Can't believe nobody's asked: did it disappear mid-flight or carry on past the horizon? If the former, it's definitely a shooting star.

HurricaneStorm t1_j27ik5q wrote

I saw it too! I thought it was a shooting star.

−1