Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Equivalent_Ad_8413 t1_j4ndhtc wrote

No.

The nearest star is only a little over four light years away. You'll be able to look back at the Trump presidency.

very_humble t1_j4nib5f wrote

And even if you had an enormous telescope and could capture every single photon headed your way, the resolution would be virtually non-existent. I wonder if you could even differentiate between oceans and continents on earth

Atalantean t1_j4ncyqd wrote

The nearest star is only about 4 ly away, so you'd be seeing 4 years into the past.

its-octopeople t1_j4neebe wrote

130,000ly is about the distance to the Large Magellanic Cloud, a companion galaxy to the Milky Way. Did you mean to teleport to the nearest galaxy, rather than the nearest star?

krackle_jackal t1_j4ncze0 wrote

Isn't that 130,000 light years? No criticism or negativity intended, it's an honest question, as I know too little of space.

mustafar0111 t1_j4nd3r7 wrote

130,000ly is around the length of M31 or something like that.

markedbeamazed t1_j4nezlq wrote

Nearest star outside the solar system is around 4 light years away. This was probably referring to something else.

helly1080 t1_j4nf1ww wrote

You wouldn’t be SEEING anything homes! You chose to travel to a star! The heat! The brightness alone!!! But…..with balls like that kid. I think you might just be mad enough to pull it off!

[deleted] t1_j4ne60h wrote

You wouldn’t be seeing anything except light anyway, you’re not seeing into the past just light that’s catching up to your location… it’s not like your going to be looking at dinosaurs or the the birth of man.

−1

Mishung t1_j4nf8vm wrote

When you open your eyes you only see light. The image you see is light and nothing else. If you had strong enough telescope (we'll ignore how big it would have to be just for the sake of the argument) and looked at the earth from 100 light years away you would absolutely see into the past. You would see people in 1920s walking around in their old timey outfits talking about 1920s stuff in their 1920s cars.

[deleted] t1_j4nkhgv wrote

Sorry but no, the light is simply a reflection. Nothing could capture that much full detail.