Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

CommentToBeDeleted t1_j3m5g03 wrote

Yeah its the GREATEST pbs series on youtube. You should absolutely go check it out!

​

Seriously though let me give an ELI5 response. Space and time are so interconnected that we refer to them as Spacetime. What we've actually observed and tested is that the more you move through one, the less you move through another.

Let's imagine an extremely simplified "spacial dimension" where you can only move in one direction. Let's also imagine time as a spatial dimension as well, for simplicities sake.

Imagine that whenever you move "North" you are moving 100% through space and 0% through time. Now imagine you turn 90 degrees to the right and go East, you are moving 100% through time and 0% through space.

Whenever you want to move, you have to move some combination between "Space" and "Time". The faster you move (through space) the less you move through time. The closer you are to a heavy object the less you move through time as well (this is for a MUCH more complicated reason, but again related to "spacetime"), but whenever a massive object warps space, it also warps time.

We know this to be true, because our satellites orbiting the Earth must be INCREDIBLY accurate and precise. So much so that our programming has to account for the time dilation that occurs (us on Earth experiencing time differently than the Satellites in space do).

Essentially the two things are so connected, that we believe they are a single thing.

​

Its a pretty dense topic but here are videos on spacetime, from spacetime!

How Does Gravity Warp the Flow of Time?

Does Time Cause Gravity?

When Time Breaks Down

elpajaroquemamais t1_j3ma2xn wrote

Is this why people who move more live longer?

CommentToBeDeleted t1_j3magyu wrote

Great question, but no. The effect of our movement is absolutely not able to be perceived, even over a lifetime. That is how minuscule it is.

BUT theoretically speaking, if we could get someone moving fast enough or close enough to a massive object for enough time, they would absolutely outlive their peers.

Having said that, moving more is great for your overall health and well-being, even if it's just a daily walk around the park.

willowhawk t1_j3nevjb wrote

The Earth is moving through space at 390kilometers per second.

If they Earth stopped moving through space (and ignoring all other issues that would cause) we would be moving through time quicker? Do we have the length of time to exist because of the earth travelling 1.2million miles per hour?

They have to offset geosatellite by millisecond every so often whist for going slight fast then us on the surface.

Malachorn t1_j3mj6ru wrote

Time is relative. That's just your perspective, man.

From my perspective, I won't ever meet anyone born later than me that ends up older than I get before I die.

PandaEven3982 t1_j3mkjbu wrote

And here I thought the earth was flat! :-) I really loved that dodge about talking about mass. 9.7 from the judge in NYC lol:-)

Oxytocinoverdose t1_j3n7k1g wrote

I just had a wild thought after watching those awesome videos. Does spacetime only change when one spacetime field of influence references another? Or is there a way to counter the trajectory of our galaxy traveling through the universe/ solar system traveling through galaxy ~roughly 490,000 mph/ earth traveling around sun ~roughly 67,000…. And travel with or against said force to gain compounding spacetime? Wouldn’t there be a measurable current of sorts in our path of movement? Or would we need an equal spacetime field of influence to travel towards in order to go against our collective spacetime trajectory? Not sure if any of that makes sense to anyone.

CommentToBeDeleted t1_j3ncex1 wrote

>Wouldn’t there be a measurable current of sorts in our path of movement?

"Current" feels like the wrong word here. In the sense of a river, "current" feels like the drag you would experience from molecules of water moving past you. You aren't gravitationally bound or dragged by the water, it's simply the inertia of heavy water molecules pushing against things as it moves downhill.

​

>Or is there a way to counter the trajectory of our galaxy traveling through the universe/ solar system traveling through galaxy ~roughly 490,000 mph/ earth traveling around sun ~roughly 67,000….

Absolutely. How do you stop a car from driving down the road? You apply a force that counteracts the force causing it to move forward (you apply the brakes). In space you do this by ejecting mass in an opposing direction. If you've ever seen Wall-E and remember that little robot buddy using a fire extinguisher to move and spin (space dancing scene) then you know what I'm talking about.

The fire extinguisher has mass and that mass is being ejected, which causes the body to move in an opposing direction. So if we wanted to slow earth down, we would just keep pushing things off of Earth, away from it's current trajectory. Unfortunately as we slow down, our orbit would also begin to decay, causing us to get closer to the sun.

So lets try to slow sun down, we just need to uhh, eject mass from the sun, thats all. Yeah that seems a bit trickier.

So technically possible, but not really within our current technological capabilities.