Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

CommentToBeDeleted t1_j3m5g03 wrote

Yeah its the GREATEST pbs series on youtube. You should absolutely go check it out!

​

Seriously though let me give an ELI5 response. Space and time are so interconnected that we refer to them as Spacetime. What we've actually observed and tested is that the more you move through one, the less you move through another.

Let's imagine an extremely simplified "spacial dimension" where you can only move in one direction. Let's also imagine time as a spatial dimension as well, for simplicities sake.

Imagine that whenever you move "North" you are moving 100% through space and 0% through time. Now imagine you turn 90 degrees to the right and go East, you are moving 100% through time and 0% through space.

Whenever you want to move, you have to move some combination between "Space" and "Time". The faster you move (through space) the less you move through time. The closer you are to a heavy object the less you move through time as well (this is for a MUCH more complicated reason, but again related to "spacetime"), but whenever a massive object warps space, it also warps time.

We know this to be true, because our satellites orbiting the Earth must be INCREDIBLY accurate and precise. So much so that our programming has to account for the time dilation that occurs (us on Earth experiencing time differently than the Satellites in space do).

Essentially the two things are so connected, that we believe they are a single thing.

​

Its a pretty dense topic but here are videos on spacetime, from spacetime!

How Does Gravity Warp the Flow of Time?

Does Time Cause Gravity?

When Time Breaks Down

elpajaroquemamais t1_j3ma2xn wrote

Is this why people who move more live longer?

CommentToBeDeleted t1_j3magyu wrote

Great question, but no. The effect of our movement is absolutely not able to be perceived, even over a lifetime. That is how minuscule it is.

BUT theoretically speaking, if we could get someone moving fast enough or close enough to a massive object for enough time, they would absolutely outlive their peers.

Having said that, moving more is great for your overall health and well-being, even if it's just a daily walk around the park.

willowhawk t1_j3nevjb wrote

The Earth is moving through space at 390kilometers per second.

If they Earth stopped moving through space (and ignoring all other issues that would cause) we would be moving through time quicker? Do we have the length of time to exist because of the earth travelling 1.2million miles per hour?

They have to offset geosatellite by millisecond every so often whist for going slight fast then us on the surface.

Malachorn t1_j3mj6ru wrote

Time is relative. That's just your perspective, man.

From my perspective, I won't ever meet anyone born later than me that ends up older than I get before I die.

PandaEven3982 t1_j3mkjbu wrote

And here I thought the earth was flat! :-) I really loved that dodge about talking about mass. 9.7 from the judge in NYC lol:-)

Oxytocinoverdose t1_j3n7k1g wrote

I just had a wild thought after watching those awesome videos. Does spacetime only change when one spacetime field of influence references another? Or is there a way to counter the trajectory of our galaxy traveling through the universe/ solar system traveling through galaxy ~roughly 490,000 mph/ earth traveling around sun ~roughly 67,000…. And travel with or against said force to gain compounding spacetime? Wouldn’t there be a measurable current of sorts in our path of movement? Or would we need an equal spacetime field of influence to travel towards in order to go against our collective spacetime trajectory? Not sure if any of that makes sense to anyone.

CommentToBeDeleted t1_j3ncex1 wrote

>Wouldn’t there be a measurable current of sorts in our path of movement?

"Current" feels like the wrong word here. In the sense of a river, "current" feels like the drag you would experience from molecules of water moving past you. You aren't gravitationally bound or dragged by the water, it's simply the inertia of heavy water molecules pushing against things as it moves downhill.

​

>Or is there a way to counter the trajectory of our galaxy traveling through the universe/ solar system traveling through galaxy ~roughly 490,000 mph/ earth traveling around sun ~roughly 67,000….

Absolutely. How do you stop a car from driving down the road? You apply a force that counteracts the force causing it to move forward (you apply the brakes). In space you do this by ejecting mass in an opposing direction. If you've ever seen Wall-E and remember that little robot buddy using a fire extinguisher to move and spin (space dancing scene) then you know what I'm talking about.

The fire extinguisher has mass and that mass is being ejected, which causes the body to move in an opposing direction. So if we wanted to slow earth down, we would just keep pushing things off of Earth, away from it's current trajectory. Unfortunately as we slow down, our orbit would also begin to decay, causing us to get closer to the sun.

So lets try to slow sun down, we just need to uhh, eject mass from the sun, thats all. Yeah that seems a bit trickier.

So technically possible, but not really within our current technological capabilities.

Lirdon t1_j3m36rb wrote

Spacetime is a concept on which space and time are connected as an intrinsic property. Especially when considering that you have an absolute constant, which is the speed of light, you can always convert one to the other. We measure distances in light years for that reason. But it goes deeper.

You can bend space, weird huh… not in the same manner that one might consider bending of a rod, but the general analogy which, though not perfect, works for many people, is putting a ball in the middle of a taught sheet of cloth. The sheet will sag in a certain way towards it, bending it. The thing is if you bend space you also bend time, in extremes, such as the proximity of black holes, time dilates, and to an outside observer looking at you it looks like you’re in slow motion.

Bigjoemonger t1_j3njf5g wrote

The ball in a sheet cloth is a nice two dimensional model.

But I like this example as a three dimensional model.

Imagine a 3 dimensional grid of bungie cords so you have bungie cords going up and down, left and right, towards you and away, such that the bungie cords are connected at equal segments and the space between the bungie cords forms a cube.

Now grab several bungie cords close to each other and pull them close and tie them together. The bungie segments closest to those segments get warped and stretched out of position while bungie segments further away are relatively unaffected.

In space the spots where the bungies are tied together represent massive objects like stars and planets. And the amount of warping/stretching represents the gravity well around that object.

Zxruv t1_j3nktic wrote

When conceptualizing spacetime does the sheet only represent a "slice" of spacetime in the analog? If so, could you take the same concept and represent it as a weighted sphere embedded in a large sponge, with the sphere causing the sponge to sag? The sponge would sag more in the immediate area of the sphere and less so as you move away from the sphere?

keeperkairos t1_j3nodqw wrote

Basically. There is no up down left or right in space, the massive object is warping in 3 dimensions, not just a 2D sheet.

saturngtr81 t1_j3mjt9l wrote

I think about it this way as a layman: You cannot move through space without an element of time. It is impossible to move from point a to point b without time elapsing. So space and time are inextricably intertwined.

Maybe oversimplified and please correct me if I'm wrong. But that's how my brain understands it.

IamTobor t1_j3njz72 wrote

Right, time allows changes to occur in the three spatial dimensions.

Grinagh t1_j3m2mnn wrote

The best I can explain is to describe a black hole, because of the objects density it warps space, but space is not just empty nothingness, it has fundamental properties of the 3 dimensions we're familiar with but in addition to this black holes also warp time around them causing time to pass by slower the closer one gets to the event horizon. An outside observer would not experience this time dilation so years would pass for them whereas if you journeyed around a black hole potentially only hours would pass for you and this is because time is inseparable from space itself. Matter tells spacetime how to bend and spacetime tells matter how to move.

milliquas t1_j3m4ux8 wrote

As I understand it: Think of spacetime as a fabric that covers the entire universe. When the fabric is warped by objects with mass, time is warped as well. Like if you put a bowling ball on a bedsheet and it made a divot — that’s sort of analogous to how gravity works, but the key point is that warping ALSO affects time. Where gravity is stronger (eg closer to the center of the bowling ball) means time is slowed further, and infinite density at a point (a singularity in a black hole) causes a “rip” in the fabric that makes time infinite (as perceived by an outside observer) for someone who crosses the event horizon of a black hole. Nobody knows what would happen inside.

If you’re interested in this and want a book that explains it clearly, try The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli.

dingadangdang t1_j3mgtgd wrote

Early on the easiest thing I thought about was 2 exact same clocks on 2 different planets. Planet A has 2x the gravity as Planet B. Time should run twice fast on Planet B. I realize this is probably oversimplified and I may have read it as an example.

Fantastic book called "About Time" by physicist Paul Davies is a great introduction to some of this.

Pillars_Of_Eternity t1_j3m66lj wrote

In the theory of relativity, spacetime is a mathematical concept that combines space and time into a single framework for understanding the physical universe. According to this theory, the three dimensions of space and the one dimension of time are not separate and distinct, but are instead closely intertwined and cannot be understood independently of one another. In other words, spacetime is a four-dimensional structure that describes the way that objects move and interact in the universe. One way to think about spacetime is to imagine it as a fabric that is stretched out in all directions. The positions and movements of objects in the universe can be thought of as points or lines on this fabric. The fabric itself is not made up of matter, but rather it is a framework that provides the structure for the matter and energy that exist within it.

louistraino t1_j3m6mo6 wrote

Consider that to pass or travel through space, it takes you time. Space and time are intertwined in that way. The only way around that would require manipulating space-time, which is everything around us.

We are all objects existing in spacetime. Objects with mass interact with space time, and these interactions are observed as gravity. More mass = more interaction with space time = more observed gravitational force

magnitudearhole t1_j3mlymz wrote

Space IS time. It's a headf**k but it's true. If you're a lightyear away from something, you are a year away from it in time.

Madmarrdegan t1_j3meo8a wrote

A great visual analogy that I once saw, was to place a light beam between two mirrors, perfectly balanced. Now start to move the mirrors. The beam of light has to travel further and further in order to reach the mirror above or below it. You can see that as the mirrors approach the speed of light the beam would seem to be suspended.

Nintendogma t1_j3n1dvc wrote

>Can someone explain what spacetime is?

Honestly? No. No one can. We can model it very accurately, but we don't really know what it is.

>Also does "one dimension of time" imply that there are multiple dimensions of time?

An easy explanation is, imagine I ask you "Meet me in the conference room on the 3rd floor of the building at 1st street and Main Street."

That room has three coordinates in space, X Y and Z, that you must traverse from your current position to arrive at. However, if we want to meet there, you also need a time coordinate. We also traverse from our current time to subsequent times, or at least, that's what we experience. Thus, we'd arrange our meeting with four coordinates, X Y Z and t.

Time is just how we measure changes in the spacial dimensions we observe. No time? No change. Hence, Spacetime. Without time, space would never have changed state to begin with, and everything would still be at a singular infinitely small point without space, as we theorize a pre-big bang universe would be. At that point all I can imagine is quantum indeterminacy spontaneously manifesting a universe from nothing.

In my opinion (assuming the variables eventually add up) the net total energy of our universe is zero. What that really means is the cosmos and all the spacetime therein, is zero energy. From the outside looking in (if there were such a thing) there's absolutely nothing here. There isn't even a here at all. It's something the photons emitted at the beginning of our universe that will get absorbed at the end of our universe experience. Time doesn't pass for a photon, so from its perspective, nothing is here, nothing has happened, is happening, or ever will happen. The beginning and the end are the same instant.

Maybe I went a bit too existential with this question, but the honest answer is we have not the faintest idea what spacetime actually is. Functionally, it's just the name we've given the model we use. I'm good with that. It's a solid model, that only breaks down under such extreme mass conditions, you'd need to observe the inside of a super massive black hole to figure out a better model.

Anonymous-USA t1_j3nfl00 wrote

Time is relative, and passing through space at different velocities warps time. Peering deeper into space is also peering further into time. Every physics equation and observation must account for all four dimensions. Since they are so intricately tied together, and dependent upon each other, astro-physicists speak of Space-Time.

All we know, all we can ever know, the entire universe is contained within Space-Time. Anything speculatively beyond that is outside of our existence.

xXijanlinXx t1_j3ntr8e wrote

movement through space and time are inversely connected, the faster you move through one the slower you move through the other. at 99% c you experience time very slow, but to experience time at full speed you have to be moving very slowly. This is all relative between objects because there is no mathematical 0,0,0 point we can anchor ourselves to in a universe where everything is moving. not experienced with this at all so definitely tell me if i'm wrong

Cephlaspy t1_j3m3ugg wrote

Think of Space as a stage on which all things take place now adding time as dimension means we can see what happens to this in different instances of time like say the present as the base line the future and the past in opposite directions now what Einestien discovered is that when things go through this space time they experience the world differently so someone can have 3 years pass for them and others 6 years or someone can run 3 metres from one perspective but only 1 and a half from thier own. Additionaly the space time stage can be molded or changed depending on how many things are in it making a further difference in how different perspectives see the world. There is no limit to how many dimensions of time you take humans can only observe one in which the past and future exist but there can be more just not ones we know anything of.

hashn t1_j3mck0j wrote

You can swap time and space. So if you go a long distance and your friend stays still, they will experience the time and you will experience the distance. That means, for them it will have been 100 years and no space, and for you it will have been 100 billion miles of space and 1 year.

AtomicPow_r_D t1_j3n48dl wrote

Einstein's General Theory of Relativity shows that time is a physical thing. It is part of space-tme. Space-time manifests itself as a gravitational field created by the mass of objects. The presence of mass will warp, or deform, space-time. As a consequence, time passes more slowly near to a massive object such as a planet. This has been demonstrated to be true by comparing super-accurate clocks in orbit to clocks on the surface of the Earth. The clocks on the surface run just a little bit slower. (This is a paraphrase from other people's explanations)

BearHeadPete t1_j3nfdt5 wrote

Im no scientitian, but think of it like if you're standing somewhere. You are at a certain point of space at certain point of time.

IamTobor t1_j3njo1b wrote

The fourth dimension allows for change to occur in the three former spatial dimensions. This is spacetime.

bradland t1_j3nn8gm wrote

Remember Isaac Newton? Newton is responsible for large portions of the the physics that is really useful in our day-to-day lives. For example, Newton's laws of motion offer a foundation upon which we can understand inertia, the relationship between force and acceleration, and how two objects will interact with each other if one hits the other.

The formulas that Newton (and others) developed are still used today in many fields, and all of this math treats space and time separately. We call this classical physics. So why do we need space-time at all if these formulas work for so many day-to-day applications?

As velocity increases, the formulas used in classical physics start to become inaccurate. This happens because our physical world is not absolute, but relative. Without considering these relativistic effects, the calculations made using Newtonian physics result in errors.

The new formulas developed as part of relativistic physics lead to the coupling of space & time as a way to make the calculations for accurate measurements and predictions easier.

If you have a few minutes, there are two short videos available from TED-Ed that explain space-time using simple animations. Their explanation is very accessible, and is broken down into 5 minute segments.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScdLqAA_64E

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeCsS6PjhK8

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAXHHBUY9_E

keeperkairos t1_j3nqpfn wrote

Let’s say I have a frictionless ball, I drop the ball and it bounces back to my hand exactly into its original position (because it is frictionless). However me and the ball are on Earth, which is rotating and which orbits the Sun, so me and the ball have actually moved significantly from where we were when I dropped the ball. You can go even further than this and think about how the Solar system moves through the Milky Way, which itself is also moving etc. So did the ball bounce back to its original position? You might say no, but that’s only because you have other objects as a reference point, if you could not see them you would have no idea.

The point is there is no absolute space. You can’t describe a point in space without also describing a point in time (or another object, but then it has the same issue of needing its own time coordinate or another relative object, then the issue repeats). The same goes for describing a point in time without describing a point in space, although this is harder to grasp.

We actually already think like this in our day to day lives, in fact humans are very unique for thinking this way. For example, do you show up at work simply at a specific place? Or do you show up for work at a specific place, and at a specific time?

omero0700 t1_j3nr15y wrote

Space and Time: Let us meet in Time Square (New York City, USA) at 1200UTC.

It is the simplest set of spacetime continuum coordinates. Omitting space or time, you miss a date ;)

Psychological-Gene84 t1_j3nx82o wrote

Here's the simplist, most practical way to visualize the theory. You're in a conversation with a close, but very dense relative. Notice the way time slows to a standstill? That's relativity.

TareaMizou t1_j3o0rd8 wrote

There’s a really good explanation of the twelve dimensions of reality on YouTube, trying to make sense of the relativity and reality. I can’t find it right now due to bandwidth issues but you can search around and find it.

SpartanJack17 t1_j3o0va6 wrote

Hello u/Dusthip, your submission "Can someone explain what spacetime is?" has been removed from r/space because:

• Such questions should be asked in the "All space questions" thread stickied at the top of the sub.

Please read the rules in the sidebar and check r/space for duplicate submissions before posting. If you have any questions about this removal please message the r/space moderators. Thank you.

eazy_64 t1_j3o1u23 wrote

You really hate to see “spacetime” reduced to a coordinate system like that. Imagine if you will a taut bed-sheet suspended in air by its four corners. You can think of each point of each fiber of that sheet as you classic xyz coordinate plane and the whole sheet stitched together as xyz-t incorporating time. The real revolutionary thing about this is that spacetime as the fabric of space interacts with matter creating the effect of gravity. Balls of mass sitting on the sheet locally deform the entire sheet causing anything sitting on that sheet to “fall” toward it. The bigger the mass the bigger the effect. It also shows how the effect can be universal (all mass is attracted to other mass) but the magnitude of this attraction is a function of the magnitude of the deformation and another mass’s distance to the deformation. It is one of the non purely math only explanations of what a “force” is.

PandaEven3982 t1_j3mlkyq wrote

When you look at the night sky, you see a spacetime mosaic. All of the photons (light) reaching your eye come from different time periods. If that star is 40ly away then the light you see took 40 years to arrive st your eye. The star right next to it is 400ly distant and those photons have been traveling 400 years. A representation of spacetime.

incubusboy t1_j3mbhuu wrote

You’re going to want to read a book. If you ever want to understand this or anything else.

For this, maybe two books and a lot of math.

−1