Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

HayesDNConfused t1_j7g55xt wrote

Relegate.

zeth07 t1_j7glyta wrote

Wouldn't relegation just indirectly fuck over whatever lower team is there with them?

Cause they are obviously a good team which means after they get relegated there is a massive chance they would just get promoted anyway and the other team in the lower league would miss out on their chance to get a promotion had they not been there.

DJ_DD t1_j7gn10v wrote

If I’m not mistaken don’t most high level players have clauses in their contracts that allow them to leave if the team is relegated?

JSteigs t1_j7hh9gv wrote

They might have a change in their release clause. Most players have a clause (mandated in some countries) that they are able to buy their way out of their contracts, or that of an offer from a club is above a certain price the selling club must accept. I believe there are players who Rae release clauses change if a team is relegated, so suddenly Halaandmight only have a 10mil release clause, who the fuck wouldn’t pay that. The player would still have to accept terms of whichever club is buying the player.

PeterSagansLaundry t1_j7h9sjk wrote

Yes and no. It would get harder to promote in 2023-24, but easier in 2022-23.

thekrone t1_j7i4oev wrote

In the past when situations like this have happened in other leagues, they don't relegate four and promote four. They just take the team that got forced relegation and put them in last, and relegate the bottom three, and have the league below promote as normal.

If they do that here, it wouldn't make promotion any easier this season, just harder next season.

PeterSagansLaundry t1_j7ibpcw wrote

In that case it would make it easier for the newly promoted teams to stay up in 2023-24 as only 2 can be relegated. Any way you slice it, the endgame is 20 teams in the prem.

thekrone t1_j7ibuyn wrote

Right, so avoiding relegation this season would be easier, but it wouldn't change promotion this season. Just next season.

DesastreUrbano t1_j7hzj9v wrote

They would lose a lot of the sponsors or at best keep them for waaay less money, because they will not keep paying the club the same when they don't get the same level of exposition than being on the top league. Also can't charge the same for tickets or seasonal passes. Also the rewards for the league are way lower. Merch also would get cheaper. Much of the club income would get highly impacted, and will lead to lower contracts for players and general staff

JSteigs t1_j7ii30h wrote

Oh I’m sure man city would find sponsor deals coming out of no where. Might not be anything you’ve ever heard of, or will actually have any sort of advertisements, but there will be looooots of money coming from “legitimate real businesses”.

thekrone t1_j7i22ff wrote

It's extremely likely most, if not all, of their top players force a move if they are relegated.

One, City probably wouldn't be able to afford their current salary bill in the Championship with no Champions League, especially now that they're actually under FFP scrutiny and a lot of the remaining legitimate sponsors will try to distance themselves from this scandal. TV money is also a ton less in the second division. Tickets sell for less, and they will likely sell fewer of them. They will sell less merch. They would probably be deemed ineligible for parachute payments. We're talking a huge drop in revenue.

Two, players don't like "wasting" a season in a lower division than where they should be playing. Not to mention there's no "guarantee" it will only be one year... if one key player jumps ship the rest will soon follow and promotion might prove to be harder than expected when you're trying to integrate a bunch of new players. Especially since if they are relegated, it means a minimum of two seasons without Champions League. They'd likely have to have a fire sale to offload their highest earners and guys who simply don't want to play in the Championship and miss Champion's League.

If they could manage to hang on to their important players for that season, then yes it kinda fucks over the teams that are in the Championship as it's basically a guaranteed promotion spot gone, leaving the rest of them to fight over the remaining two.

medoy t1_j7i2rjy wrote

Good point. Better to just turn off their hot water.