Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

rusmo t1_j7ixccg wrote

I like to point this out about Irvin as often as possible. Here I go:

AJ Green has 5 more career TDs than Michael Irvin, who only had 65.

−9

skunkboy72 t1_j7iyw02 wrote

Michael Irvin was the best wide receiver on a team that won 3 Super Bowls.

They are a weeee bit different.

rusmo t1_j7j3rd8 wrote

Oh, he was fantastic at running routes and catching balls short of the goal line, for sure. AJ (along with 61 other receivers*) just happened to score more TDs.

*Correction: 55 receivers and 6 Tight Ends.

−12

skunkboy72 t1_j7ka18l wrote

It's called the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Best Stats.

jlaw54 t1_j7j3cj9 wrote

This feels like you didn’t watch 88 play. Also a different era stats wise. And he had to split with 22 and one hell of a TE. Irvin was so good he made Alvin Harper look like an all pro (I’m not knocking Alvin Harper, I love the guy, but 88 made him look like a star).

rusmo t1_j7j5ulc wrote

Different era explains it, eh? 17 of the players ahead of him on the TD list retired before he caught his first TD.

−9

jlaw54 t1_j7j6db2 wrote

You ignored most of what I wrote. Cool 😎 tho.

rusmo t1_j7j6rih wrote

Not here for the Harper analysis. Here to point out AJ Green, 55 WR, and 6 TE caught more TD passes than Michael Irvin.

−4

amazinglover t1_j7j7tlv wrote

AJ has 1,400 less yards and played in one less game then Irvine as well.

fastedzo t1_j7o5cyp wrote

Michael Irvin played in a different era, it’s hard to compare the two. While they had a potent passing attack, the League just was not geared towards offense the way it is now and the passing game. I’m a Steelers fan and have a hell of a lot of respect for AJ Green, I enjoyed rooting against him :-)

rusmo t1_j7p4415 wrote

> different era

When he retired, he was in 24th place. 23 players from his era or earlier had more TD catches than him.