Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TheMisiak t1_j7iije0 wrote

Andy Dalton should buy him a retirement gift like a boat or a car or something. AJ made him soooooo much money.

doughboi8 t1_j7j1y0c wrote

Agreed. Dalton is ass

TheLeemurrrrr t1_j7k5oy1 wrote

Wasn't AJ Green that actual reason we signed Dalton. If I'm not mistaken, AJ was not going to resign if we didn't sign Andy?

TheMisiak t1_j7k8w4k wrote

I honestly don’t know but I was thinking more along the lines of cash bonuses for incentives. No way Andy would reach all those season goals without AJ racking up insane numbers.

SavageNomad6 t1_j7imuba wrote

He was drafted in 2011 and retiring now? That's like.... 3 years ago.

Au1ket t1_j7j9niv wrote

Is Julio the last WR still in the league from the 2011 draft?

Barb_WyRE t1_j7jde4f wrote

I was just thinking to myself that Julio got washed fast, but in reality he was a top receiver for like 9 years lol

I guess that means Roddy White retired like 10 years ago? Geez lol

Au1ket t1_j7jdfyv wrote

Prime Julio was a force to be reckoned with

Takabletoast t1_j7ju1k7 wrote

Prime Julio is the closest thing I saw to Megatron on another team. Dude just refused to be beaten.

Eleaine t1_j7lequo wrote

> drafted by the Falcons in the first round of the 2005 NFL Draft

Wtf. I feel like I was just watching prime Rhoddy.

TowersMan t1_j7jcqi9 wrote

Just checked, and it's just Julio and Randall Cobb left. Although it seems like Cobb will retire soon perhaps?

Lazy_War9398 t1_j7jovlr wrote

Randall Cobb feels like he's 40, when in reality he's apparently 32

everyone_getsa_beej t1_j7lddac wrote

I believe he was the first player born in the 1990s to be drafted. I seem to remember that from the 2011 draft coverage.

Chad_Broski_2 t1_j7inkr7 wrote

He's had a lot of injuries and WRs tend to fall off pretty quickly. Honestly not a huge surprise, he's got nothing left to prove and tbh I'm glad he's not gonna risk his life out there for any longer

SavageNomad6 t1_j7iognb wrote

I was more making the point that somehow 2011 was 12 years ago. I remember when this dude entered the league and was amazing. Seems like yesterday.

deegethesqueege t1_j7in5zr wrote

What a class act. He was the cool head we needed when plagued with players like Burfict and Pacman Jones.

terry_bradshaw t1_j7it6wu wrote

Except when he was fighting jalen Ramsey. But I can’t blame him for that.

Praying_Lotus t1_j7j3l2a wrote

Honestly respect to Jalen for somehow pissing him off enough to fight, as AJ has always been the cool headed no matter who he went up against. It was like the the Andre Johnson v. Cortland Finnegan 2.0.

AJ Green was one of the few receivers that didn’t have a big mouth while he played

Wally_West_ t1_j7jimz3 wrote

Great player retires

Top comment:

"Good on him for not being like these two shitty players, who are entirely irrelevant for this post and this moment".

deegethesqueege t1_j7k5y27 wrote

I don't see how pointing out his great character and highlighting how it was truly the beginning of a turning point for the Bengals is bad.

I bet you're fun at a party asshole.

Wally_West_ t1_j7kbjoe wrote

1. Pointing out his great character isn't bad, I applaud that. It's the comparison I found unnecessary.

2. AJ Green was drafted before Burfict: Hardly a turning point then. How about they're different players who aren't a product of or a reaction to eachother?

3. What's with the personal attack?

4. I'm fucking delightful at parties, dickface.

−5

Chennessee t1_j7iyjru wrote

Pac-Man was one of my favorite all time players to watch.

Jabromosdef t1_j7ig6nh wrote

I was not expecting to see this.

AtlUtdGold t1_j7iosy5 wrote

loved him at UGA

apimpnameds1ickback t1_j7jdepc wrote

Fuck I’m old. I remember being at the CU vs UGA game where he had that unbelievable catch. From that night on I knew he was going places

edna7987 t1_j7k8zyc wrote

That really wasn’t long ago, 2010?

Sabin057 t1_j7kh2t8 wrote

Thirteen years to a 30something year old is around third of their life.

edna7987 t1_j7kj201 wrote

This is very recent past and a 20 year old could easily remember this moment, that is my point. This recent of a moment doesn’t make someone old.

−8

vulger4540 t1_j7kjjce wrote

wtf are you talking about lmao. it's 13 years old. it didn't happen yesterday.

edna7987 t1_j7krko6 wrote

The comment was “fuck I’m old” about remembering something that happened in 2010. My point is that this doesn’t make a person old as a 20 year old could easily remember this and they are clearly not old.

−9

vulger4540 t1_j7ksjci wrote

it's hyperbole. lol. talk to anyone in their 30s. they will tell you they are getting old. no one axtually.thinka they are old....

edna7987 t1_j7ktffe wrote

Ok jar jar, you can thinka whatever you want.

−5

vulger4540 t1_j7kw4t4 wrote

I think you should just try thinking in general

scatterbastard t1_j7klliz wrote

“Look at me I am very smart”

edna7987 t1_j7ks2bl wrote

Saying that remembering something makes you old that a 20 year old could easily remember is a “look at me” moment? It’s just very overused on Reddit imo.

scatterbastard t1_j7ktho2 wrote

You arguing over a subjective comment is the woooooosh. Sorry, but if you aren’t getting it by now there’s not much use explaining.

Edit: it’s like a real life AKCHTUALLY

edna7987 t1_j7lbyek wrote

Yes, it’s subjective so I’m also allowed to have an opinion correct?

scatterbastard t1_j7lmcs9 wrote

Yeah except it’s HIS subjective thought on how HE feels that you are arguing, over multiple posts, is incorrect.

edna7987 t1_j7ln19u wrote

I’m just stating I disagree with their opinion because I think it’s wrong and an annoying common Reddit comment that everyone says “oh I’m so old” now.

Sorry I stated I disagree, I’ll stop having an opinion.

JoFlo520 t1_j7m1e7h wrote

Check this one out from high school Dude was a monster for such a long time

apimpnameds1ickback t1_j7m4711 wrote

O_o

That was nuts… also get that ugly ass URL outta here! You can format a url by adding the text in square brackets [] and then the url in parentheses ()

like this

bl20194646 t1_j7kfusm wrote

he played at my high school, i remember when he went to UGA

vera214usc t1_j7lkwf2 wrote

Did you go to Summerville? I went to West Ashley and South Carolina at the same time he was in school so AJ Green was always a rival.

Positive_Stable7799 t1_j7mb3nv wrote

Watching him play at UGA when I was a kid was awesome. We’d go out onto the field and play football trying to recreate his catches till the sun went down.

Remarkable-Ad7490 t1_j7io1rr wrote

I remember the debates about whoses the best wr between him and D Hop

oksoseriousquestion t1_j7iq6mn wrote

And Julio

WetAndStickyBandits t1_j7iucn6 wrote

And Larry Fitzgerald

gawdsean t1_j7j5dof wrote

And mega

TnekKralc t1_j7j6vk6 wrote

Nah that was never in question. Megatron is top 3 alltime talent. I love Green and he is a sure for hof in my book, but Megatron was on another level

donscron91 t1_j7jlcdj wrote

Miss him more than any other player, he had at least 5 very solid years left in him.

a_steph_15 t1_j7l9qe6 wrote

Wish I could say he did, but his legs and ankles were so fucked up from all the hits he took. If he had been healthy then he most definitely would have the one of the best in the league for several more years. He was barely able to make cuts on his routes in his last couple of games.

Thrawn4191 t1_j7kwmv6 wrote

Idk man I'm a Bengals fan and I don't think he makes the hall. If he hasn't gotten injured and had a couple more good years? Sure. But with 0 first team all pros he's not even the most decorated Bengals receiver much less a Hof lock.

TnekKralc t1_j7nbb6c wrote

You may not be wrong. I have had AJ and Julio penciled in the hall by year 3 of their careers. I loved the way they played.

Eleaine t1_j7lfyxr wrote

As a Texan fan who saw Hop and andre very closely, Julio, Larry, and AB (different kind of receiver) in their prime

Megatron was really something different.

It sounds like I’m being snarky, but truly, a double covered Megatron was a good bet target. A triple covered Mega wasnt insane either.

I remember that 320+ yard game like it was yesterday.

Spuddmann1987 t1_j7ire93 wrote

I wonder if we'll see D Hop retire soon too, he's been injury plagued the last couple of years.

Poj_qp t1_j7iigvg wrote

After 24 rec/236 yrds, can’t say I’m surprised

Grand-Assistance-339 t1_j7j8nzg wrote

I think Brandon Marshall put that up in one game.

EDIT: damn close, looked it up. 21/200

aj_robinson26 t1_j7k6a88 wrote

When he was in his prime aj green also put up 227 yards against the ravens in one game.

Bradisdad t1_j7iroqi wrote

Come on home to Summerville, AJ

snootsintheair t1_j7iowim wrote

How bout them Dawgs!

See you in the HOF AJ

Spuddmann1987 t1_j7isfm2 wrote

He's a great WR for sure, but I'd be surprised if he gets into the HOF, not enough post season success and if you look at his numbers, 10k receiving yards and 70 tds, while are without a doubt great, there's many other receivers with similar numbers not in the HOF. Injuries also derailed his career toward the end.

rusmo t1_j7ixccg wrote

I like to point this out about Irvin as often as possible. Here I go:

AJ Green has 5 more career TDs than Michael Irvin, who only had 65.

−9

skunkboy72 t1_j7iyw02 wrote

Michael Irvin was the best wide receiver on a team that won 3 Super Bowls.

They are a weeee bit different.

rusmo t1_j7j3rd8 wrote

Oh, he was fantastic at running routes and catching balls short of the goal line, for sure. AJ (along with 61 other receivers*) just happened to score more TDs.

*Correction: 55 receivers and 6 Tight Ends.

−12

skunkboy72 t1_j7ka18l wrote

It's called the Hall of Fame. Not the Hall of Best Stats.

jlaw54 t1_j7j3cj9 wrote

This feels like you didn’t watch 88 play. Also a different era stats wise. And he had to split with 22 and one hell of a TE. Irvin was so good he made Alvin Harper look like an all pro (I’m not knocking Alvin Harper, I love the guy, but 88 made him look like a star).

rusmo t1_j7j5ulc wrote

Different era explains it, eh? 17 of the players ahead of him on the TD list retired before he caught his first TD.

−9

jlaw54 t1_j7j6db2 wrote

You ignored most of what I wrote. Cool 😎 tho.

rusmo t1_j7j6rih wrote

Not here for the Harper analysis. Here to point out AJ Green, 55 WR, and 6 TE caught more TD passes than Michael Irvin.

−4

amazinglover t1_j7j7tlv wrote

AJ has 1,400 less yards and played in one less game then Irvine as well.

fastedzo t1_j7o5cyp wrote

Michael Irvin played in a different era, it’s hard to compare the two. While they had a potent passing attack, the League just was not geared towards offense the way it is now and the passing game. I’m a Steelers fan and have a hell of a lot of respect for AJ Green, I enjoyed rooting against him :-)

rusmo t1_j7p4415 wrote

> different era

When he retired, he was in 24th place. 23 players from his era or earlier had more TD catches than him.

Str8_up_Pwnage t1_j7itlvu wrote

Not a Bengals fan but this dude was my 2nd or 3rd round pick in fantasy like 4 years in a row in the 2010s. Awesome, awesome player.

bigjoe65 t1_j7kekmg wrote

What? This dude never played when I drafted him in FF

−2

TheGuyDoug t1_j7ijce7 wrote

Been meaning to sell my Green jersey after I picked up Burrow...but this has me wanting to keep it

fanime34 t1_j7j6cwo wrote

I think about this and I can't help but wonder how Super Bowl LVI (56) would have been like if he was on the Cincinnati Bengals. But either way, I hope he enjoys his retirement. He had a really good career.

SaintsNoah t1_j7k470o wrote

Don't wonder for too long, it was never going to happen. With Higgins developing and them picking a receiver with #3, that money was definitely going elsewhere.

XmarkstheNOLA t1_j7inhyb wrote

Steeler fan but AJ will always be a DGD to me

PPvsFC_ t1_j7iv8aw wrote

Damn Good Dawg

TheDaug t1_j7j99o7 wrote

I'm still mad about him and Stafford beating ASU in 2008. One of the worst losses I've ever attended on one of the hottest and most miserable weather days I've experienced.

Holy hell he was good that game.

pdieten t1_j7irje7 wrote

He do what you do. Drive to work, listen to his music, gets caught up in a wire-based headphone situation

wish I could get that out of my head, though if he's retired now it'll be easier

zodar t1_j7jrbi9 wrote

Whenever people think of the top 2 Bengals receivers all time, they'll think of Green-Johnson.

uReallyShouldTrustMe t1_j7kdsnf wrote

I was like...didn't this dude finish playing for Georgia just a couple of years ago. Dang I feel old.

thereverendpuck t1_j7l98g7 wrote

As a Cards fan, glad I got to see him play for us. Sorry the last season was garbage.

MyMusic2012 t1_j7m09j1 wrote

I dont know, would a player want to retire same yr as Brady? When comes time for Hall Of Fame stuff it will be All Brady.

Chitownitl20 t1_j7m69ww wrote

I remember drafting him his rookie year in the late fantasy rounds. Nobody knew who he was was. This guy easily made me over $3k in profit!

Eastern-Mix9636 t1_j7ncfla wrote

Should be: Thank You, AJ

Why do so many write improperly even in official publication?

Brother_Lou t1_j7obl6y wrote

Ravens fan here. Dude was freakin outstanding. What a great player and person.

legitocracy t1_j7irses wrote

The bad man is gone

Edit: I think people aren't realizing I said this as a compliment coming from a Ravens fan. Didn't realize this wasn't the NFL sub where I have the flair

[deleted] t1_j7jehz8 wrote

[deleted]

shruber t1_j7jiu69 wrote

Nope. His team didn't even make the playoffs (cardinals). You are thinking of aj brown. Wrong bird team!

ProteusFox t1_j7jpaow wrote

Never played on a green team 😞

mellifleur5869 t1_j7k5urk wrote

Ah well. They definitely ain't making it to the playoffs three years in a row now.

PackOfStallions t1_j7kbmqo wrote

AJ Green is just like you; except, he’s in a commercial. Got hands like glue.

GoblinGreen_ t1_j7ju2ie wrote

He plays for the Buenas Aires Tigers?

−1

bigjoe65 t1_j7kehwn wrote

Not sure how he would be considered forever a great.. this dude never played any games in the last 5 years. I made the mistake of drafting him at least 3 times in FF. Sure he had a couple of great seasons, but forever a great? Nah

−2

SpoMax t1_j7isfrj wrote

Wait, isn't he playing in the Super Bowl? ...oh, that's AJ Brown! I get those guys mixed up.

−15