Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

hamster_rustler t1_j8e8abs wrote

Do you … do you think that climate scientists don’t publish peer-reviewed research?

cowens89 t1_j8egi7s wrote

Why are you typing with a stutter? Also those papers are many times going back a few decades and not thousands of years. Of course human pollution affects the planet. But by no means is there any credible evidence that the situation is dire

−1

halpless2112 t1_j8f51mw wrote

Um, have you ever heard of ice core samples that date back much more than decades? I swear some people think they are so smart. I wish I could somehow be there the day the reality bricks come crashing down. The look on your face would be priceless.

Put another way. Do you think you’re right because you’re really smart, and the overwhelming majority of the scientific community is dumb? Or do you think it’s possible that you may have misunderstood something? Probably the latter. Then again, why am I arguing with someone who likely hasn’t had a college chemistry or physics class that explains these phenomena? They’re really not too hard, I’d highly recommend them considering how smart you probably think you are.

cowens89 t1_j8fjug5 wrote

You won’t be here. At our current rate it would take a millennia for us to actually have a major effect on our lives from climate change

halpless2112 t1_j8fkyyh wrote

I respect your confidence, even if you’re completely wrong.

Perhaps college would do you good. Go out there and learn about the planet you live on. I promise it’s a rewarding experience. It may even yield the added benefit of you actually learning about the real (and immediate) effects even a 1.5°C global average increase would have on our civilization (especially ones not as fortunate as most western societies)

Cool place to start is why infrared light seems so content to stay here in our atmosphere. As well as where that infrared comes from. There’s probably a ton of good pics that may teach you something 🤷‍♂️

cowens89 t1_j8fv9lq wrote

Went to college and graduated thank you. I’m not saying humans don’t impact the environment. I’m saying that if it were as dire as some of the doomsayers are insinuating, we would completely outlaw private jets and many other things. It wouldn’t even be up for discussion

halpless2112 t1_j8fy1b5 wrote

I was meaning go to college for something STEM related. I shouldn’t assume, but I’m gonna go ahead with the assumption that you didn’t go to school for anything even arguably related to STEM. Perhaps you had a science class or two, which is definitely not the same thing. If you had, you’d probably be singing a different tune.

cowens89 t1_j8fzuqq wrote

My degree is in Applied Science, but that’s medical. So you are correct, no STEM.

halpless2112 t1_j8gum2s wrote

Did you take an astronomy or physics course in during your degree? That’s where I first learned how it worked. I also learned quickly how terrible of an idea it is to have layman reporters talk about this, since that’s how many people learn about climate change. It’s an incredibly nuanced subject, and our news media honestly doesn’t do a very good job of addressing that.

sgantm20 t1_j8eixav wrote

You’re a real miserable human. I bet you take zero responsibility for anything in your daily life.

cowens89 t1_j8etoq0 wrote

😂 I’m a miserable human because I have an opinion that there is perhaps data not supporting your corporate overlords idea that if we don’t invest in green power, the world will collapse? Ok I guess

mrs_dalloway t1_j8hqcpi wrote

You admit human pollution affects the planet, regardless of snow or not snow, we should do better about addressing pollution.

The ozone layer is protection between the earth and the sun. Similar to say a garage. Turning a car on in a garage will quickly fill the garage w carbon monoxide. Any animal in the garage will suffocate.

That is what we are doing with pollution. The earth is a garage and we are constantly running a car 24/7.

We have to find alternatives to carbon based systems right now. Snow or no snow, climate hoax or not. We need to do it now.

Also carbon dating doesn’t lie. Goes back thousands of millions of years.