Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

totally_random_cat t1_jc8wynb wrote

Such a weird wording. Basically he proved that he was in fact not doping.

Desperate-Face-6594 t1_jc99cyq wrote

No, he plausibly claimed that the positive result was because of food contamination. That’s a long way from proving he was not doping.

totally_random_cat t1_jc9fmiq wrote

His claim was followed by the ruling from CAS. If they decided that the proof was insufficient, they would keep his ban. What more was he supposed to prove?

−2

littleseizure t1_jc9jlxy wrote

I mean they're right, but it's mostly semantics. He didn't prove he didn't, they just could no longer prove he did. It's the MLB David Ortiz - positive in a flawed test and never punished because the test was faulty, but he could never prove innocence - I don't know how you even would

totally_random_cat t1_jc9jz51 wrote

Got it. I’m honestly not aware how this system works. I just based my conclusions on the article.

mighij t1_jc9j8z9 wrote

They didn't lift the ban, only reduced the sentence. He is still guilty.

totally_random_cat t1_jc9job0 wrote

So he cheated but only a little bit?

mighij t1_jc9sovo wrote

Concept of reduced sentence is strange to you?

asoplu t1_jc9woh6 wrote

Because they can’t prove it? Yea, that’s absolutely bizarre. If you are accused of a crime but nobody can prove it, they don’t just give you a reduced sentence.

VagrancyHD t1_jc9p0sr wrote

I wish there were harsher punishments for doping. It's too easy to circumvent and completely erodes the integrity of just about every sport.

Fishflakes24 t1_jcb0dks wrote

Why does it? It seems odd to me that you can use some chemicals but not others. Like caffeine is ok but amphetamine isn't? Just allow it all then there is no need to have some one draw an imaginary line between allowed and not allowed.

−7

BaldRapunzel t1_jcbhuaf wrote

This would force every athlete who wants to compete at a high level to be drugged up to the gills or not even be able to qualify versus doping users. A lot of these substances cause negative long-term health issues, too. Also, every sport'd become a competition of the best chemical / medical team / available money instead of the best athletes.

People can do w/e they want with their bodies on their own, but if they want to participate in an organized competition they need to adhere to the standards set that are meant to protect every other participant and the integrity of the sport.

Ryu-The-Sick t1_jc9r302 wrote

Doesn’t really matter, when Ukranians will be exempt from the punishment anyway.

−83

MeatRepresentative73 t1_jc9u8h9 wrote

Don’t forget we have to ban Russian athletes who literally did nothing wrong so now Russia despises the rest of the world while turning their citizens against everyone.

−56

bigbrofy t1_jcaqrl5 wrote

Just drop the bans entirely and let our roided up guys battle against their roided up guys.

mr_poog t1_jc906cf wrote

Forgot this happened, I thought he retired

Somewhere_Elsewhere t1_jcagaor wrote

Meldonium was a highly arbitrary addition to the WADA list in the first place. It’s a heart and brain circulation drug easily obtainable without a prescription in that part of the world that was only added in 2016. Not saying that there should have been no suspension, but 4 years was really fucking harsh imo.

TheJasonaut t1_jcb00kr wrote

I don’t know how many athletes are going to be representing Ukraine in the next Olympic cycle, but just realized how unabashedly hard I’m going to root for them. I mean, I realize it won’t change the situation for Ukrainians, but it’ll be nice to have something to cheer for, and possibly raise spirits even if just temporarily.

thrillingcat t1_jcbj3yj wrote

I’m glad my taxes are doing good things over there

ThePaoloAlto t1_jcemzzq wrote

The woke brigade down voting a valid comment

thrillingcat t1_jcfeit9 wrote

Yup. That’s understandable though. My comment was sarcastic and people don’t understand sarcasm anymore. It’s a witty person thing

Blazefoley23 t1_jcaysq7 wrote

Roid on baby! Can’t beat the Russians? Join them!

−1