Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Alfred-Fallon-Borden t1_j1jchdk wrote

What happened to believing victims?

−5

farmer15erf t1_j1jh023 wrote

Unfortunately being able to prosecute is hard when victims find ways to blame themselves

acfox13 t1_j1k262l wrote

Victims are conditioned by their abuser to blame themselves. It's an effective manipulation tactic.

The_Woman_of_Gont t1_j1k7qzo wrote

Yup. It’s part of why a lot of states will decide to charge these sorts of crimes unilaterally without regard to input from the victims. The amount of abused individuals willing to voluntarily cooperate with charging their abuser with a crime, and not ask that they be dropped, is frighteningly small.

Benu5 t1_j1jlal8 wrote

It also means doing what the victim wants to do about the alleged crime. If they don't want to go to the cops, or publicly accuse someone, then don't go to the cops or publicly accuse someone.

In this case, the person believes she was strangled, but because she has come out in public and said that she hasn't been (which is a common thing for DV survivors to do), they are sad to see that.

saoyraan t1_j1ke78i wrote

In the justice system ay least in America you are innocent until proven guilty. Believing victims auto incriminates and points doubt to the defendant. Perfect example would be Johnny vs amber heard. She claimed victim but her defense was easily proven falsified. She was the abuser claiming to be victim. Some of Hollywood still believes her even with all the evidence out in the open. They also marked Johnny guilty before trial and cancel cultured his career. After the evidence and Johnny's innocence proven he is still seen guilty and amber has her DC acting career.

−2

Alfred-Fallon-Borden t1_j1klnwz wrote

This is my point though, the victim retracts her statement and suddenly no one ITT wants to believe her anymore

saoyraan t1_j1p4die wrote

Problem is this is not a easy accusation. It has serious legality behind it. You may not like it but it is necessary for a fair trial. Humans lie and not all victims are victims. The victim has to prove their case in a court of law. Why America does not really have a punishment for false claims.

Alfred-Fallon-Borden t1_j1p4iav wrote

I feel like everyone ITT id misinterpreting me: the victim has literally walked back her statement and now no one wants to believe her anymore, ig because they want to prove their righteousness by continuing to pile on Beard?

dwarfcow t1_j1k9h2s wrote

Many narcissistic women end up dating multiple men who experience and remember being victimized and lied about in their own lives - which, unfortunately, colors their, and their families' collective reasoning. It doesn't matter if it's a minority of the cases when it's been seared into someone's reality.

−10