Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

SandSeraph t1_j1w2qlb wrote

It was also a system largely designed around having one of the top RBs in the league. When Marshawn can go off for 150 any given game it opens up the long ball that Wilson was "the best" at. Now, with a middling run game, he is getting exposed. It doesn't help that he simultaneously seems to have lost a significant amount of accuracy.

slapshots1515 t1_j1xcv5k wrote

That was certainly true when Marshawn was there, but he’s been gone since 2015 (aside from a brief cup of coffee return). Their RBs since then have been nowhere near that caliber. Wilson has a ton of issues this year, but it’s not just that he doesn’t have a top RB-he hasn’t for most of his prime.

SandSeraph t1_j1xe2qf wrote

The name might not have been as big but the efficiency was for several of those years. 16-17 were rough for them, but Carson put up good numbers in 18-19. I think he was over 1,100 yards in both seasons. Not 2012 lynch numbers, but the Broncos haven't had a rusher break 1,100 yards in a season since McGahee in 2011. It's a completely different offensive package, and the way our front office operates, we need a gunslinger to even be competitive. Look at 2016 to now, even with the Super Bowl year, we have been abysmal on offense and rely on stellar D because we only know how to play offensive football if we have a top 5 quarterback.

slapshots1515 t1_j1xq9sv wrote

Chicken and egg. Wilson was as important for the rushing game as the rushing game was for Wilson in Seattle. I like Carson a lot, but trust me when I say he was nothing special as an athlete-just a tough as nails north-south runner willing to give his all. The system wasn’t designed around a top RB post-Lynch. The Broncos could easily find themselves a Chris Carson, I guarantee you that. You’re looking at the results, not the play on the field.

That being said, it was, however, designed around a heavy run-pass balance. That’s definitely not the type of offense Hackett ran this year. Wilson doesn’t need a top five RB, but there does need to be changes from this year.